Mid/tweet highpass capacitor

rikkitik

Mid/tweet highpass capacitor
« on: 7 Sep 2020, 11:16 pm »
 Hi there,
 I'm working on a pair of WMTMW speakers.
 I redesigned the midrange crossover, which has turned out to be huge improvement over the previously existing design. These are pre-built speakers, with all Scanspeak drivers. The original mid xover had a poorly implemented bsc, and a layout that created a 2 ohm minima with a +57 degree phase angle. It wasn't a very easy drive for a couple different amplifiers.
 Anyway, it's substantially improved now. The previous crossover used a single Audyn 100uF Q4 for the mid/tweeter highpass. I reused that, and it is currently a very good phase match to the woofers, having a 27 db null with reversed phasing.
 My question, pertaining to the 100uF is,
 Would you suggest;
 A) Leaving it alone?
 B) replacing it with a "better" capacitor?
 C) adding a bypass with a very good 1 uF?
 D) adding a bypass with a very good .01 uF?
 E) or other?
 Since all mid/tweet signal passes through this cap, I am wondering if some type of upgrade might be beneficial. All upstream caps are higher quality (not that the Q4 is bad). And it does sound very good now.
 Thanks in advance - Rick

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Mid/tweet highpass capacitor
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2020, 01:13 am »
My first question would be why is the signal to the tweeter passing through that cap? It shouldn't be in the signal path of the tweeter.

And secondly, try by-passing it with a fast discharging .1uF cap. We use the Gen.2 Sonicaps for that application all the time with really good results. And it is very inexpensive to try.

rikkitik

Re: Mid/tweet highpass capacitor
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2020, 01:26 am »
 You are correct, my misstatement  :(  The tweeter signal wire and crossover are separate. Um, I became momentarily elderly.... :wink:
 Thanks for the advice on the bypass, I will probably call give you a call tomorrow.