RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

Danny Richie

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)
« Reply #200 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:37 pm »
Hey fellows, I just took delivery of another dozen P-Audio drivers for the Super-V. So Super-V kits are still available.

jparkhur

« Reply #201 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:43 pm »
Danny,  Will you put the new diameter on there too......

Danny Richie

« Reply #202 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:12 pm »
Danny,  Will you put the new diameter on there too......

Yes, I will take a measurement of these newer drivers and make note of the diameter.

gab

« Reply #203 on: 27 Sep 2012, 06:53 pm »
Yes, I will take a measurement of these newer drivers and make note of the diameter.

are you guys talking about the 12.58" dia and the 11.32" dia in the supervbox plans being too small for the new drivers?

gab

Danny Richie

« Reply #204 on: 27 Sep 2012, 08:05 pm »
are you guys talking about the 12.58" dia and the 11.32" dia in the supervbox plans being too small for the new drivers?

gab

The outer measurement.

sl_1800

« Reply #205 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
Guess what I got to hear today!!  :D

I know you are all itching to know how they sound.  Let me first say I have heard most of Danny's speakers over the past several years including the Epiphany, LS9, LS6, V1, V2, Super V and most all of his smaller speakers.  I currently own a pair of Super V's and Linkwitz Orion's and I have had many different models from Green Mountain Audio and Merlin VSM and SoundLab electrostatics.  I have been to some of the audio shows and heard numerous different speakers, everything in the world.....no, but I have heard many.

Let's just say I now have to raise some funds from somewhere to buy myself some new speakers!!!  We sometimes don't realize there is a problem until the problem is gone, then it's obvious when you go back.  In listening to this speaker today it was obvious there were so many problems gone compared to anything else I have ever heard.  Just to touch on a few things that jumped out and grabbed me by the throat.  Three dimensional imaging, I didn't have to close my eyes and reconstruct the soundstage in my mind, it was just there in spades, depth of stage and width was just scary.  Sweet spot was as wide as the house, really, I have never been able to move around a room and hear image placement that good.  Cabinet resonances.....there wasn't any.  I was there most all day and we listened to a couple of different DAC's and 2 different sets of mono block amps and 2 different music software apps on the mac mini.  These speakers made the differences so discernible, differences that I have never been able to hear in the past. 

There are a lucky few that have already placed their orders for these amazing speakers, you guys wont be disappointed.  I'm sure many more of you will be digging in those pockets once you hear them at RMAF next month.

One more thing, the construction, fit and finish of these speakers is second to none.

Oh and one more tidbit if I can, Gary Dodd has a real winner on his hands with his little mono block battery powered amps, 30 watts per and they kicked butt with this fantastic speaker.

Don't just take my word on it, go listen for yourself, but be prepared to part with some cash.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #206 on: 29 Sep 2012, 04:57 am »
Congratulations on getting an early preview of the new speakers.  Also, considering your background with Danny's designs, you are a great person to ask "the" question:  All poetry aside, critically speaking, how would you compare these to the Super-V?.  Disregarding simply "better" as not quite enough detail, how are they similar, how do they differ, and what strengths do you feel each has one compared to the other?  Thank you for your time and thoughtful reply. :)

Danny, I saw you note earlier in the thread your statement regarding the quality of the mids in the new speaker, being better than all others.  As strong as that statement is and that you are probably the only person right now able to answer this question, how do you believe your new (hopefully somewhere on the water or on the docks as we speak) high-end OB drivers compare in this regard?  Thank you again for the same in your reply. :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #207 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:30 am »
I cannot freaking wait to hear these at RMAF!

Early B.

« Reply #208 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm »
Glad to read a preview on these speakers. They sound like real winners. I also want to hear more about Gary Dodd's new battery powered tube monos.

mykyll2727

« Reply #209 on: 29 Sep 2012, 04:59 pm »
Danny,

Congratulations on your new business venture and I wish you the absolute best of luck with it. Those super 7s are awesome! I hope to get to hear them some day. Personally I think both grills look great but I like the look of the full baffle a bit better. A very sleek and high end look. To me it looks a little more befitting a $20k speaker. Also I think the idea of a removeable bow-tie is a great one and the cost could certainly be absorbed in the $20k price tag. Just my $.02.

Danny Richie

« Reply #210 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm »
Hey mykyll2727,

Welcome to AC.

Hey Steve (sl_1800),

You'll have to come listen all over again.  They just got even better.  :lol: :lol: :lol:  I tweaked something since yesterday. The vocals are a little more balanced, a little deeper in the sound stage, and blending better with the lower drivers.  :lol: :lol: :lol:  I couldn't help myself. I think I can put down the paint brush now. Now I am really grinning.  :green:

gprro

« Reply #211 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm »
What did the low end limit of the neo10s end up being? Guessing the more used, the lower they could go also.

Was thinking one of the biggest challenges would be getting the neos and subs to blend well. That's right in the range where you have something like the resonace of cello bodies and detail of strings competing. I'm sure the servos and lighter weight ob drivers made it possible. Along those lines, with the possibility of using very different amp technologies on the mids and woofers, have you tried something like a dodd buffer in front of the woofer amps if you wanted to warm their sound up to match a warmer tube amp?   

mikeeastman

« Reply #212 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm »
Come on Danny I'm sure you could come up with at least a couple more tweaks before RMAF. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #213 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:35 pm »
Hey mykyll2727,

Welcome to AC.

Hey Steve (sl_1800),

You'll have to come listen all over again.  They just got even better.  :lol: :lol: :lol:  I tweaked something since yesterday. The vocals are a little more balanced, a little deeper in the sound stage, and blending better with the lower drivers.  :lol: :lol: :lol:  I couldn't help myself. I think I can put down the paint brush now. Now I am really grinning.  :green:
Danny, I'm really excited about RMAF.  With all of the SQ leaps that all of us have made in our products since the last show  I'm thinkin' that we will have an experience to be heard and felt in 2024!  I'm working away on some new things, Gary has some SERIOUS amps this year, Eric's DACs and things are sounding great here and I know that Pete will have slammin' cables for everyone.  We will get the room dialed in and have a strong presentation this year.

It just gets better and better and more fun every year.  :thumb:  Steven Stone: we have a treat for you!!!

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #214 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm »
Come on Danny I'm sure you could come up with at least a couple more tweaks before RMAF. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike, you know how hard we have been working on this.  Thanks for your patience and friendship.   :D  You, too, Randy!

Dave

mykyll2727

« Reply #215 on: 29 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm »
Hi Danny, Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking around for awhile and decided to finally join up. BTW we're not quite exactly strangers. I've contacted you a couple of times. Most recently by phone. I'm the guy in Vegas that asked you about modding some Swans. Will you be here for CES?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #216 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:03 am »
Two more questions on the new speakers:

Binding posts?  Did you decide on tube connectors as standard or something else?  Also, with the way the production runs have been described, could clients choose what they would like for them if they have a particular preference?

Second, any photos of how the amplifiers got dressed out for the servos?  Are these speakers going to use the plate amps we are all familiar with or did the amps get new casework for the commercial venture?

Regarding the crossovers, very nice to read you found a way to get "a little more" out of them.  I would caution about calling things "done", however, as RMAF will probably be a very good "public beta" for this design.  (Sorry for squeezing so many "quotes" into this sentence. . .  :lol:)  The experiences at the previous shows with the Super-V and Tyson's observations in particular started a conversation here afterward that contributed to bringing us the current part values and the Jupiter caps in that design - generally agreed to be a great benefit all around.

Your open mind and passion for continuously improving your designs is what makes that kind of progress possible.  It will be interesting to see how these kinds of evolutionary improvements could potentially be translated to this new commercial venture in the long-term life of the model/design.  I don't really know how the high-end of the speaker market works, if folks just move on fairly regularly to new/different models or if they approach their speaker purchases as long-term investments, but if the investment approach is correct such upgrades over time would be a good way to present even greater value for the dollar vs. competitors as well as a means to keep interest buzzing with clients long after the sale.

Danny Richie

« Reply #217 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:25 am »
Binding posts?  Did you decide on tube connectors as standard or something else?  Also, with the way the production runs have been described, could clients choose what they would like for them if they have a particular preference?

I recommend the tube connectors to all the companies that I do design work for. See...

It doesn't make any sense to not use them. They are too far ahead of everything else performance wise. Anything else is just too big of a backward step.

Second, any photos of how the amplifiers got dressed out for the servos?  Are these speakers going to use the plate amps we are all familiar with or did the amps get new casework for the commercial venture?

The servo amps are still plate mounted. The boxes that they are mounted in will be dressed up and bit and match the speakers.

And yes, my mind is always open to improvements that could be found anywhere. There are actually quite a few tricks that will be used on these to take them to another level.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #218 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:06 am »
 :beer: Danny!

I really hope I don't sound like I'm coming off harsh on the new toys.  Just asking some questions that I would have if I were in the market these were aimed at.  Also thinking that some more detailed info describing the differences between these and the V's would help some of the folks who have built out the V's and might be thinking about upgrade would help them in deciding if they want to take the step into the new or stick with what they've got. . . if getting to RMAF just isn't the cards.

On the binding posts, I agree that if there really is nothing better, why not go with the best.  I also know by reading some of the threads on AC that cable termination is one of those things that folks take kind of personal, as in everyone has their own opinion as to what is "best", measured results or not!  I just wouldn't want someone to pass on these because their favorite cables (probably very expensive in their own right) won't fit, or some perception that the tube connector is any "less" of an option give the speaker a ding in a review or discussion among high-end folks that isn't really deserved.  No point in making an uphill fight EVERY step of the way in bringing a new product to market, no?  Not suggesting making a performance compromise, but rather making sure a client willing to invest $20K has whatever options - within reason - that can be made available to make the client confident and 100% satisfied with the purchase; no regrets, unless those start with a phone call to you saying something like, "I know I said differently, and now I know you were right, but. . ." ;)

(. . . and I saw the photo of the CA speaker in the above post.  Did you happen to. . . pirate. . . a pair of the grey tube connectors for the S7 going to the show. . . you know, because the colors would flow better with the paint choices on the S7. . .  :D)

Russell Dawkins

Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff....
« Reply #219 on: 30 Sep 2012, 06:52 am »

How about 96db sensitivity.

How the heck do you pull this off with the Neo 3 rated at 93 dB/W sensitivity?? 96 dB for the 4 Neo10s makes sense though.

Very rational design - I'd really like to hear it.