Kate Wolf

Russell Dawkins

Re: Singers that Actually had/have Talent
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2018, 07:24 am »
Leontyne Price

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2018, 10:55 am »
How about "why" you think they have talent?  As amateur shower and car singers we all know how difficult it is to keep our own voice in key and in tune. Our voices wobble and sound flat, or sharp, or fumble around trying to find the note that we hear in our head. All professional singers are in tune and pitch perfect without ever thinking about it. They hit the note.

What makes them special is the inflection, volume control, perfect vibrato, and most importantly, combining all of that to convey emotion. If we have to sing in public we generally lower our voice and inadvertently close off our throats, singing from the nose as it were. Professionals open their throats and sing from the chest, letting their natural voice come through. In a nutshell, we do everything wrong because we know we aren't that good, and as a result we sound worse than we could.

What are your thoughts?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2018, 11:37 am »
How about "why" you think they have talent?  As amateur shower and car singers we all know how difficult it is to keep our own voice in key and in tune. Our voices wobble and sound flat, or sharp, or fumble around trying to find the note that we hear in our head. All professional singers are in tune and pitch perfect without ever thinking about it. They hit the note.

What makes them special is the inflection, volume control, perfect vibrato, and most importantly, combining all of that to convey emotion. If we have to sing in public we generally lower our voice and inadvertently close off our throats, singing from the nose as it were. Professionals open their throats and sing from the chest, letting their natural voice come through. In a nutshell, we do everything wrong because we know we aren't that good, and as a result we sound worse than we could.

What are your thoughts?
Has to be true. There is no way I could sound any worse than I do. Maybe I'm tone deaf. Perhaps I'll go out and find a mountaintop where I can let "my natural voice" come through in a situation that won't encourage the throwing of shoes or a call to animal control over suspected creature mutilation. Maybe the ECHO WALL in the Colorado National Monument can accomplish what shower acoustics have failed at. Self-consciousness would probably overtake me in that venue too. The place is always crawling with tourists who would surely take indignant exception to my caterwauling. Silent singing, if it exists, is surely my best shot at a vocal performance that doesn't jeopardize my well being. YMMV.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2018, 12:04 pm »

What are your thoughts?

IMO Either you are born with a decent to great voice and can sing or you are born with a awful voice and you cant sing. Its pretty simple. All that tune, pitch, notes comes with the territory as some are naturals and learn it on there own while some need training but you would still need to have a decently good voice to begin with or else none of those other factors matter much. There are degrees and limits to each individual persons gifts/potential.

Phenominal singers IMO are the ones that is very hard to duplicate. I wish I could sing like James Ingram but it aint happening ever. LOL

Not many can duplicate Whitney Houstons voice or Mariah Careys or even Linda Ronstandt....Not many males can hit Air supplies high notes or even STYX high notes as its very hard to duplicate.

Then one in a great while you have unkown ameture singers that can duplicate and sound pretty close to the original song like this Styx example.> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mLk9rgGdTQ

FireGuy

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm »

What are your thoughts?

These characteristics are on point.  An excellent example is mezzo soprano Tarja Turunen.  A classically trained singer who meandered into the metal genre with great success.  At first this combo was sonically incongruent (imo) but quickly abated with a little patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4XWkTWQ0M

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:22 pm »
Maria Callas

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:08 pm »
These characteristics are on point.  An excellent example is mezzo soprano Tarja Turunen.  A classically trained singer who meandered into the metal genre with great success.  At first this combo was sonically incongruent (imo) but quickly abated with a little patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4XWkTWQ0M

Similar dynamic with Sissel and Warren G using the Prince Igor music for a pretty decent rap song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_X_Nj276Ps

Mag

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2018, 06:20 pm »

Mag

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2018, 06:29 pm »
Juice Newton
Angel of the Morning- www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzGMEfbnAw
Queen of Hearts- www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DK-0fIKCw

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jul 2018, 06:42 pm »
Laura Branigan-
Gloria- www.youtube.com/watch?v=355Fk8drgZE
The Power of Love- www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvGWZm34Ct8

Re: The Power of Love—wow, what pipes! When I see the host's introduction, I see that things have come a long way as regards attitude. Also it dawned on me by around 3 minutes in to the video that this was a lip-synced performance. But what pipes and what a performance.

FireGuy

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2018, 12:25 am »
Similar dynamic with Sissel and Warren G using the Prince Igor music for a pretty decent rap song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_X_Nj276Ps

Yes, excellent example too with Sissel Kyrkjebø.  Keep in mind though all opera singers are classically trained but not all classically trained singers sing opera. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2018, 12:32 am »
Yes, excellent example too with Sissel Kyrkjebø.

+1

Add Sarah Mclachlan to the list. She was also trained in classical guitar, piano, and voice.