What happened to all the old timers?

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
What happened to all the old timers?
« on: 30 Nov 2023, 04:34 pm »
Just remembering back when this place was vibrant, and I hung out with members and we listened and did some partying.  :scratch:

Charles Xavier

Re: What happened to all the old timers?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2023, 04:54 pm »
My sentiments exactly. No matter how hard you try to get everyone together its one excuse after another.

Maybe they just don't like me anymore.

Delta77

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2023, 06:30 pm »
New timer here..
I have also noticed that this site has slowed down a bit in the last year or so.
As far as meet and greets, I would be willing to meet a few of you guys and share our systems and experiences.
But I have not seen many members from Central California ( Fresno) area...

Thanks Burt..
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2023, 06:09 pm by Delta77 »

vrao81

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2023, 11:58 pm »
I bet many are in nursing homes or six feet under.

vintage9594

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2023, 02:30 am »
I have a strong group of local audiophiles that meet up typically once a month or more.  The groups need not be large but we are still passionate about the music and the gear we each use to produce it. Enjoy the music and gear!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2023, 03:07 am »
I bet many are in nursing homes or six feet under.

The fate of all of us, eventually.

marc513

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2023, 03:29 am »
   I am or used to be part of a big group of audiophiles but as years went on the group got
Smaller and smaller now I only see about 3 or 4  . I am 70+ years old I think I was closer
To the oldest in the group than the younger . I still love music and the equipment but my
Income says no more upgrades so what I have is it. Health is a big concern for me and the
Older audiophiles I think and don’t get out as much as I used to do I guess just old and a
Bit cranky it’s been a great run started building audio equipment at age 13 . I have seen
Hundreds of live show’s rock,folk ,country and classical it’s been a good life so far ……..
Marc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2023, 05:13 am »
New timer here..
I have also noticed that this site has slowed down a bit in the last year or so.
Also noticed this, suspect current audiophils dont own a desktop, only a phone, notebook also a pita to type and read due the small screen.

Tarheel

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2023, 12:45 pm »
What's the chance someone on this site is in my neck of the woods (coastal NC), is an older guy (70's), and likes similar music?  My two listening friends moved far away so now the second listening seat is empty.

One member from the Klipsch forum is moving down this way and another already here so maybe a monthly get together will happen at some point.

Hope so.....

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2023, 01:36 pm »
Tarheel, I've been wanting to come to your place and take you up on the offer, but the ride is a little too much for convenience from my place in Chapel Hill. When it gets nice and warm again in the new year I'll get in touch to try and set up a listening session, fair enough?
Jim  KD4YLQ

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2023, 02:10 pm »
Well I’m glad to see some responses, but sad that most of you agree with my post. I was really talking about some specific folks here in the STL area that used to get together and enjoy listening and socializing.  :(

Charles Xavier

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2023, 03:10 pm »
I figured I would chime in so you wouldn't feel like you were the only one. I'm in NYC and was part of the NY Audio Rave which at one time even had it's own circle here. But like I said people move on and I've tried to get the "Gang" together. In fact, I had a get together a year ago which was the first time in many years. Others just don't want to travel or host anymore.

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2023, 03:34 pm »
Mits,

We're all still around, just not very active. Here is my take on why we aren't as active anymore.

Back when I was writing, I always had a flow of new gear through the house. That seemed to give us a reason to gather. As a result of the group being active at the time, several of the old timers would host listening events on occasion to keep the interest going. Eventually interest dwindled. We all settled in with our systems and generally didn't make any changes worthy of hosting an event. Plus, hosting a large group can be overwhelming. It gets pretty costly and time consuming providing food, drink and making sure you house is "spic and spam".

The other issue was the shear volume of people that would show up. We had a tiny house back then. We'd see 20-30-40 people show up to the events. That can be daunting in a 1400SF home even with a basement. With the advent of our group, members started new friendships, events got smaller and less publicized due to fear of being overwhelmed (I assume), and we are, where we are.

Guessing, most of us old timers have hit retirement age and we're not interested in chasing, or investing in, the 'ultimate' system anymore. We've gotten to the point we just want to enjoy our music collection and we're happy with the sound of our systems.

I keep threatening to host another event but it never seems to happen. Our place now is MUCH more conducive to hosting a big crowd. If I were to host one, I wouldn't advertise it as a listening event. It would be more of a reunion, getting the 'old timers' back together. Far less focus on equipment and a heavy focus on friendship, catching up.

Who knows, maybe I'll put something together next spring or early summer.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2023, 04:00 pm »
Scott,

I think you’re probably just about spot on with your assessment. You were always very gracious hosting, and not only the listening but some of the other loud, extracurricular activities.  :lol:

Ken came over and listened at my house a couple of times, and I was at his house at least twice I can remember. I’ve put together several systems throughout the house, and would love to have a small gathering if anyone is interested. I work remotely now and we’ve been empty nesters now for quite a few years. Are you still living in the same area as before? Hoping Ken and Blackmore and you and a few others would entertain a few small get togethers again. No one should expect anyone to go to any kind of trouble or expense if we keep it small.

Craig

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2023, 07:02 pm »
I keep planning a large GAS-restart at my place, but building the new KMOV ch.4 has destroyed my year.

Stay tuned in the spring!

Blackmore

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:09 am »
Hey Mitsuman,

Good to hear from you.  We do need some meet-ups so if I get something interesting cobbled together, I’ll let you know and we can do some vintage listening.  Still have your Mitsubishi gear? 

Mark

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2023, 02:25 pm »

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2023, 02:27 pm »
Workout room in the basement

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:00 pm »

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:23 pm »
What is this Carver equip?

In the right hand rack, that is a Carver C2 preamplifier.