Sony TA-5650 Vfet & ST5950SD

justauby

Sony TA-5650 Vfet & ST5950SD
« on: 9 Oct 2023, 09:42 pm »
Since we had our first baby i've been out of the audio game for awhile now, outside of my Senn HD660s headphones and a little dongle dac/amp that is.  Cruising through FB marketplace last week i keyed in on a good deal for a Vfet Sony amp in working condition for $200.  I couldn't resists so i messaged the guy, they should be arriving at my place Wednesday.  Feels good to be back looking for deals, they do still exist.  I'll be bringing it to MM for a look over and to replace the diodes, maybe caps as well.  This ones a cool model because it even has a little Vfet (2SK63) on the phono pre.  Anyone score some deals lately?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sony TA-5650 Vfet & ST5950SD
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm »
Very vintage units, congratulations  :thumb:

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2023, 05:15 am »
Wow!  More Sony VFET stuff!  That's not common these days, especially with the Vfets still intact!

I have a ST-5950SD tuner, TAE-8450 preamp, and TAN-8550 VEFT power amp that I am someday going to set up as a "very vintage solid state" system, along with a TTS-3000 Turntable, Kenwood KC-6060A scope, Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel, and Nakamichi 1000 cassette deck.  Another project....

As far as recent deals, in the last month, I have dragged home:

what is supposedly Aaron Copland's OTHER McIntosh MC40 (long story there....)

A large haul from Deadfish's (RIP) wife, Susan:
Mapletree Audio Magic 5B SE linestage
Bryston 10BNRB active crossover (the solder resistor frequency change one, not the knob based change one)
Bryston 2B
Fisher combo radio/phono all in one
Theta DSPro Basic II DAC
Theta Universal Transport (picked up earlier)
Theta Linear filter somethings?
Some Kimber digital cable in a velvet box
Hagerman Cornet tube phono stage
Hagerman Clarinet tube linestage
Bottlehead SEX kit
Van Alstine Tanscendence Five SLR
Unknown 300B stereo amp with a lot of iron, pins bent on the 300Bs so they sit funny, was told it smoked
Dynaco SCA-35, maybe modded
Dynaco ST-70, modded
JVC 105E/5107 amplifier and matching tuner
Kenwood KA-5002?  I think
Harman Kardon AVR from the nineties
JVC TD-V99A cassette deck
Dual 1219 in a nice base with an Audio Technica AT12 cart
Yamaha 3 way bookshelf speakers
Altec 890C Boleros in poor condition

A box of tubes, but nothing that looks crazy interesting.  Everything that said Mullard said 12aU7 and there weren’t many power tubes.  Some US 6SN7 and 12AX7, a few others

Box of cables including some decent looking speaker cables.

Haul 2, from the sold-to-a-rehabber-who-knew-me home of our deceased friend Bob Armbruster, who was my earliest audio mentor:
Pair of LEE Catenoids in Blonde
Pair of Klipsch Decorator Cornwalls
Pair of EV Sentry 2 in rough shape
Pickering Model 180C
1.25 milk crates of records including a Telarc direct to disc and a couple Telarc digitals
2 Teac reel to reel cassettes
7.5ips Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow tape
1 empty 35mm cool looking takeup reel
1 35mm roll of film
6 rolling dollies (for speakers)
Advent 400 radio and speaker
2 boxes filled with random tapes and books
Variac lighting control panel

I had to go back for a second trip to get the ElectroVoice Sentry 3s, and a friend got the Magnavox mono tube console.

Likely more to come.  It's been a busy month-expect a bit of this stuff to make it up to the Flea Market thread.  I can't keep it all!

justauby

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2023, 02:30 pm »
I'd be interested in your Bottlehead SEX kit if it has a headphone output, or anything that has a headphone output truly.  Trying a bunch of combo's with my Senn's to see what i like best.

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2023, 01:00 am »
I'd be interested in your Bottlehead SEX kit if it has a headphone output, or anything that has a headphone output truly.  Trying a bunch of combo's with my Senn's to see what i like best.

You have a PM!