Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #120 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:36 pm »
Oh boy, oh boy! I have a pair of these being shipped in the next day or two. So far from what I've read, these are going to be amazing. Of course the proof is in the listening. I'm very pleased with the design and the fact that the midrange/tweet array is highpassed at 200hz. That means there are an abundance of modest power amps available to use, including tube amps :D.

Hi Chris,

Be aware that these are 6 ohm nominal, 4 ohm min speakers, so a 4 ohm tap tube amp is advisable. I don't have any pure tube amps in the collection, but none of my SS amps have had any issues driving them, including my featherweight old pioneer VSX-815 HT receiver and a Qinpu A6000 MkII hybrid, neither exactly a 4 ohm powerhouse (the Pioneer manual recommends 6ohm minimum speakers).

cheers,

AJ

Chris Adams

« Reply #121 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:47 pm »
I do indeed understand. My other speaks are 5ohms so I'm only considering amps capable of operating well into 4ohms and above. Thanks, AJ.

neekomax

« Reply #122 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:56 pm »
Chris, are you considering driving your new speakers with a tube amp? Which one? Be interested to hear your impressions.

Chris Adams

« Reply #123 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:17 pm »
I'm on the hunt for a tube amp now. I have three different SS amps, two of them are mono blocks. I'll keep you informed.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #124 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm »
Just FYI,

Here is the impedance:

Any decent amp should have no problems driving it. I'll upload it to the Soundfield site eventually.

cheers,

AJ

jkelly

« Reply #125 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:25 am »
With only four days with these speakers I have to say I am impressed.
The first thing I noticed was dynamics - these guys can stretch and push the levels on hits.

Second in my listening room I had to turn the bass way back to about 9:00 on the level control.
I am really not a subwoofer fan and just having a touch of sub is perfect for me. Always
great to have solid bass coming from (any) speaker!

I really like the KEF driver. It has a warmer sound, and the coherent sound is awesome.
There is no real sweet spot with this design.

The speakers were imaging fine, but when I replaced my interconnect with Mac Palladiums
the whole sound stage, depth, sound outside speakers improved like crazy.  Now I have magic.
Generally, I am happier with my brighter cables than my usual warmer cables with this speaker.

So a lot of experimenting going on.  I have them about 6 foot off the back wall and about 7 feet apart.
pretty much the right spot for most speakers in my room.  Able to hear layers and position of instruments
behind the vocals.

Finally, I think they like power - 60 watts - 100 watts.  Don't think flea power would work well.

More to come.

Jeff

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #126 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:45 am »
That is some really nice phase response you've got there. That explains the nice imaging people are reporting. Well done!!

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #127 on: 14 Sep 2011, 06:25 pm »
I was starting to worry not hearing anything Jeff, especially after you said the neighbors were enjoying the SPLs :wink:.
Glad is seems you have things sorted out for the most part.

I have them about 6 foot off the back wall and about 7 feet apart.
pretty much the right spot for most speakers in my room.  Able to hear layers and position of instruments
behind the vocals.

:o. 6' out from the wall behind the speakers (what I would refer to as the front wall), is quite a bit. I should have made you some bipoles, had I known. 8)
I designed these so that they can be placed relatively close (2' or so) to the front wall without getting boomy like so many ported designs tend to do. But if you're getting balanced and enough bass that way, better yet.

Finally, I think they like power - 60 watts - 100 watts.  Don't think flea power would work well.

More to come.

Jeff
I would have to agree there. It's not that they won't work with low powered amps like some SETs, they simply demand some oomph to get their full dynamic capability into play. No different from any 86-87db speaker.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. shipped a couple more today  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2011, 10:35 am by AJinFLA »

Chris Adams

« Reply #128 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm »
Mine are out for delivery today. :thumb: I'll let you know after I listen for a while.
I found some tube amps to try with these. Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 mono blocks. Paul had a pair that were in storage for 4 years. At my request to purchase, he opened them up and tweaked 'em real nice. Said that they measured better than any pair he has sold and that they offered a very deep and entertaining sound stage. We'll see how they mate with the SAM1s.
Here's a pic of the amps due to arrive on Wed. the 21st.

neekomax

« Reply #129 on: 17 Sep 2011, 08:14 pm »
Nice! 100w tube monoblocks! Can't wait to hear about how it goes.  8)

Chris Adams

« Reply #130 on: 17 Sep 2011, 09:36 pm »
Nice! 100w tube monoblocks! Can't wait to hear about how it goes.  8)

I'll let you know when I get my new speaker. :bawl: The woofer was completely ripped out of the cabinet but for one screw.

neekomax

« Reply #131 on: 17 Sep 2011, 09:49 pm »
Oh man!!! :cuss:

The woofer was ripped out? How's that even possible, must have been floating around inside the cabinet?  :o

That sucks bad, sorry to hear that. Been hearing about too many shipping mishaps in general these days. It really is a crapshoot...

If you're experience is anything like mine has been, the sound (field) will all be worth it.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #132 on: 17 Sep 2011, 10:33 pm »

The woofer was ripped out? How's that even possible, must have been floating around inside the cabinet?

Oh, just apply around 30g's of force or so :duh:
It's screwed to the 1" thick baffle from the back side with 8 screws, so it must have taken quite a wallop. Enough for the cabinet corner to penetrate through the 2"+ thick Styrofoam. Ouch. It must have fell quite a ways and landed perfectly on the corner. I think they must practice that to get it just right. :shake:
I figured this was inevitable having read the horror stories, but didn't think it would occur so soon. Ah well. In my experience, UPS is even worse. But they all have insurance, so frankly, the handlers don't care.
I told Chris to break some old mono LP's till mid next week :wink:

cheers,

AJ

WGH

« Reply #133 on: 17 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm »
That is always a disappointment when damage occurs, good luck with the replacement.

Looking at the photo the packing is definitely inadequate. The foam looks like the soft type which allows damage like this to happen.

I have shipped a lot of very expensive heavy custom doors and they all arrive in perfect condition because I always use 2" of semi-rigid Styrofoam on all sides in an interlocking pattern. Even a wood crate won't stop damage if the wrong foam is used.

Wayne 

Chris Adams

« Reply #134 on: 17 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm »
I just took another look at the foam and box. The foam is very difficult to compress. I can actually run my finger down through the foam and contact the speaker. It's a puncture. Looks like the corner of the box was run into a relatively sharp object which made it's way through the box, foam, and then contacted the speaker corner. You can see a piece of the box that was driven into the foam.

neekomax

« Reply #135 on: 17 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm »
Whoa... that's just blatant abuse. Thing got stabbed?

As far as the packaging goes, I felt that my SAM1s were packaged pretty well. I assume it's roughly the packaging and foam that Parts Express sent the cabinets in originally, no? Seems like a company that big and well reputed would have a pretty good handle on how to pack speakers/cabinets?

WGH

« Reply #136 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:14 pm »
I just took another look at the foam and box. The foam is very difficult to compress. I can actually run my finger down through the foam and contact the speaker. It's a puncture. Looks like the corner of the box was run into a relatively sharp object which made it's way through the box, foam, and then contacted the speaker corner. You can see a piece of the box that was driven into the foam.

Sure it didn't happen the other away around? When the box was dropped the speaker corner went through the foam and hit the floor. The sudden stop tore the woofer loose.

The business next door to me ships Mexican furniture all around the US, one of his customers found an engine block inside a 6' tall armoire, nobody could see the hole in the top of the crate.

Expect the unexpected.

Chris Adams

« Reply #137 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »
Sure it didn't happen the other away around? When the box was dropped the speaker corner went through the foam and hit the floor. The sudden stop tore the woofer loose.

The business next door to me ships Mexican furniture all around the US, one of his customers found an engine block inside a 6' tall armoire, nobody could see the hole in the top of the crate.

Expect the unexpected.

Could be but the hole is fairly small and the foam is indented from outside to inside. Where my finger is pointing it is depressed. I felt the hole gradually get smaller as I went toward the speaker corner.

Maybe I should look inside a little better. Maybe some tires or a plow in there.

Chris Adams

« Reply #138 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:52 pm »
I have to say that AJ has been stellar about this. Customer service so far has been AAA. He is in the process of building a new speaker to be shipped to me on Monday. :rock: :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #139 on: 18 Sep 2011, 01:33 am »
What a freakin bummer! I've been following this thread and your anticipation at getting the speakers.
Shipping speakers is a crap shoot for sure. Hope it works out.