What to audition for $2000.00?

gkinberg

Re: What to audition for $2000.00?
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2011, 02:11 pm »
I was in the same position as you. Many of theses recommendations are great. My final choice was between Salk SongTowers and Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers, both used. These are both very good speakers and have some similar qualities with the adagio reaching a little deeper in the base. I ended up chosing the Song towers as the sound was similar to me and the songtowers were cheeper. Good luck

geowak

« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2011, 04:29 pm »
I don't know who moved this thread, perhaps one of the moderators? I did not post it in enclosures.

Luckily for me I do not have to worry about the WAV factor now. I have been away from the wife for many months and when i get back she will not care if I buy any speakers, she'll be happy to see me. Also I don't have children, so I don't have to worry about them breaking something.

Here is the list so far..

Salk Songtowers (many suggested these)
Acoustic Zen Adagio
GR N1X or GR Research V2 or Selah Verita or N3T with Servo sub
VMPS Rm 40s
Legacy
Hawthorne Audio Sterlimg Silver Iris (15 inch coaxial)
Fritz Carbon 7s

Also some others suggested

PSB Imagine T towers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 (+ good sub)
Axiom Audio M80 (V3)
Goldenear Technology Triton Two Tower
Martin Logan Motion 12BL
Dali Helicon 400
Aperion Audio Verus Grand tower
Dynaudio Focus 140s
Dynaudio Focus 110s
Dynaudio Excite X16s
Revel Performa M22 ( I did listen to the F32 and they sounded very good , just not open enough)
Revel Concerta F12

And of course I did like the Magnepan 1.7s

Here is a recap of what I am looking for before I go to audition..
et's start with the room.
It is 30 ft by 23ft. Ceilings are about 10 ft.

The attributes I like with regard to music are:

Wide soundstage
Clarity and great seperation of instruments
Smooth and accurate midrange
crystal highs- not harsh
Bass is tight but I know at the price point it will not be Wilson MAXX bass
Music that fills the room

I really don't know if I can audition for what i want at the $2000.00

Looking more at boxes that sound very open or no box speaker

Electrostats
Planars or hybrids
Ribbon

cujobob

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2011, 04:44 pm »
Hmm...me, personally, I'd go with one of the following.

A GR-Research speaker kit built out for you or built yourself (N3s are amazing for a boxed speaker and the V2 kit is outstanding as well, I'm told).

A used Gedlee offering if they ever came up.

One of the Pi Speaker offerings.

Salk Songtowers.

Gedlee and Pi speakers are controlled directivity designs with good polar responses and high quality drivers.  New Gedlee speakers would be over your budget, but they're some of the finest offerings on the market.  Salk Songtowers are great options for traditional designs and provide a lot of value and excellent resale.  I'd buy new as you can have them custom made for you and when you sell them, should fetch very close to what you paid.

If Gedlees weren't my current speakers (and I'd never heard them), I could be very happy with GR Research options.  I've had several pairs of the N2X and loved them.  I own a pair of OB7s still and like them a lot.

srb

« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2011, 05:03 pm »
Like some of the other speakers mentioned, you might be hard pressed to find one to audition, but the Verita monitor from Selah Audio combines the high-end 7" ScanSpeak Illuminator woofer with the sweet RAAL ribbon tweeter for $2050 shipped in standard veneers (Cherry, Maple) or Gloss Black.

It is available in either a sealed or ported version.  The sealed version has a rather low 83dB sensitivity, while the ported version is a bit higher at 85.5dB, but still less than the SongTower at 88dB or the Fritz Carbon 7 at 87dB.  I really like the higher sensitivity and higher output of Selah's Circondaire with two Illuminators at 88dB, but that pushes the price to about $2900 shipped.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id216.html

Steve

bummrush

« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2011, 08:28 pm »
those  speakers look beautiful .

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 5 May 2011, 09:40 am »
Like some of the other speakers mentioned, you might be hard pressed to find one to audition, but the Verita monitor from Selah Audio combines the high-end 7" ScanSpeak Illuminator woofer with the sweet RAAL ribbon tweeter for $2050 shipped in standard veneers (Cherry, Maple) or Gloss Black.

It is available in either a sealed or ported version.  The sealed version has a rather low 83dB sensitivity, while the ported version is a bit higher at 85.5dB, but still less than the SongTower at 88dB or the Fritz Carbon 7 at 87dB.  I really like the higher sensitivity and higher output of Selah's Circondaire with two Illuminators at 88dB, but that pushes the price to about $2900 shipped.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id216.html

Steve
these speakers look really sweet.  but, unless actively crossed over to a pair of subs, i do not think they would be a good choice for a 23x30 room - not efficient enough, and not enough power handling capability.

doug s.

geowak

« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2011, 04:55 pm »
Someone in the audio listening community is pushing me hard to audition the Dali
Helicon 300 MKII or the Helicon 400 MKI

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/308dali/index.html

The version here at Stereophile.com is the MK2 not the MK1 but he claims the speaker is very very good nonetheless.

Has anyone heard this speaker or had one?