Apple Remote Alternative (Apple has stopped making/selling old remote)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Hi All,

As you may know, Tortuga Audio has been using the 7-function silver aluminum Apple remote for close to 10 years now. Unfortunately, Apple recently discontinued the production and sale of that remote.

I've evaluated several alternatives and have selected a simple alternative 7-function remote that fully mimics the functionality of the Apple remote. The key differences between the Apple and the new Alternative are as follows:

1) Alternative is made of ABS plastic vs. anodized aluminum
2) Alternative is shorter, wider & thicker (and in my opinion is easier to hold and use)
3) The Menu and Play buttons are located above the circular 5 button control rather than below it

Both remotes use the same NEC IR protocol and generate essentially the same Apple command codes, hence no changes to the Tortuga Audio firmware are required to use the Alternative remote.

As with the Apple remote, you'll have to "pair" the remote to your preamp before the preamp will respond to the remote although you have 1 chance in 256 (0.4%) that your preamp will respond to any random new Alternative remote without having to pair it first. To pair the remote, press/hold in the encoder pushbutton on your Tortuga preamp for 20+ seconds until the unit enters "pairing mode" and then press any key on the remote. What happens during pairing is the preamp "learns and remembers" the ID of the remote which is some random number between 0 and 255.

You can buy a new alternative universal Apple remote from Amazon for around $11 (delivery excluded) - see link below. I will eventually sell these directly as well for a few $ more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2VFHLW5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Since Apple is no longer making/selling its little silver/aluminum infrared remote, several alternatives have come on market. After trying several, I've settled on the 2 alternatives shown below because they're both affordable and readily available online.

The first one shown here is the "Function" remote. It has a nice high quality feel to it with a rubberized front. Buttons feel satisfying when pressed (never thought I'd say that). You can get one online for less but I'm selling them for $40. You can't use the Function remote with existing/older Tortuga Audio preamps or controllers. It will only work with the new V4 series going forward. Some buttons this remote have no purpose but that may change in the future.

The second alternative is the "Nettech" remote.  It's half the price of the Function remote. With only 7 buttons, it's an exact clone of the silver Apple remote and should be compatible with any Tortuga Audio preamp or controller board. Unfortunately, it has a cheap plastic look/feel to it and the buttons are a bit squishy. On the plus side, it's bigger than the little Apple remote and feels marginally better in the hand. At only $10-20 each, it's a bargain.

More info on the newer remotes here:  https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/remote-control/

mav52

Of course Apple is making their newer "  The Siri Remote (3rd generation) brings precise control to your Apple TV 4K "

Compatibility :
Apple TV Models
Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)
Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)
Apple TV 4K (1st generation)
Apple TV HD

Never know it might work @ $59.00

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Of course Apple is making their newer "  The Siri Remote (3rd generation) brings precise control to your Apple TV 4K "

Compatibility :
Apple TV Models
Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)
Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)
Apple TV 4K (1st generation)
Apple TV HD

Never know it might work @ $59.00

I've not actually tested a Siri remote but the Siri primarily uses Bluetooth and is not universally compatible with older Apple TV/devices. The newer model Siri remote pairs with Apple TV HD (4th generation or later) (A1625 or later), not earlier models. The Siri Remote (2nd generation) requires tvOS 14.5 or later. The Siri Remote (3rd generation) requires tvOS 15.4 or later. The original silver aluminum Apple remote is infrared only. It's all a bit confusing when you start digging into the details.