BP26DA Static Discharge

rawbcca

BP26DA Static Discharge
« on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:27 pm »
James have you ever heard of this happening?
I went to turn on my BP26DA When my finger touched the MUTE/NORMAL toggle I heard the distinct crack of a static electrical discharge.
Without even toggling the switch the unit turned ON. At the time the selector switch was set to DAC and now the DAC no longer works?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP26DA Static Discharge
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm »
I went to turn on my BP26DA When my finger touched the MUTE/NORMAL toggle I heard the distinct crack of a static electrical discharge.
Without even toggling the switch the unit turned ON. At the time the selector switch was set to DAC and now the DAC no longer works?

Gee I have not -  try unplugging and replugging the power cord in the wall and see if that helps.

james

rawbcca

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm »
Thanks James, That did the trick.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:24 pm »
The old Soundstream digital recorders would do that.  What kind of logic IC chips do you have on the switches?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:32 pm »
The old Soundstream digital recorders would do that.  What kind of logic IC chips do you have on the switches?

Hi

Email Mike Pickett on that one - its above my pay grade  :scratch:
mpickett@bryston.com

james

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:58 pm »
  It appears you have static build up in your home. try a steel washer attached to a say 12ga wire and connect wire to ground [ use a banana plug into ground hole of receptacle ]. Before you touch the unit grab on to the washer and ground yourself. Will never happen again. :thumb:

charles

stonedeaf

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2018, 04:00 am »
Not a DA model - but my Line level BP26 has been getting hit by a pretty good static charge every time I touch it -most of the time -this does nothing - but randomly it either mutes or unmutes the pre-amp. Doesn't seem to be doing any harm -just odd. ?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2018, 06:14 am »
I have had a BP-26 for over 7 years.
Never have had a static problem.
Though I did with a TT a little bit a few years ago.

I am always barefoot in the house. The carpet I have no idea what it is made of?
Probably just nylon.
And I do not do a lot to prevent low humidity in Winter. (6F outside right now)

I would guess the static problem is some combination of shoes/socks material carpet is made of.
And low humidity.
The low cost humidifier is the shower. Take lots of showers.

stonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2018, 06:43 am »
I'm a few miles away from Elisabeth - so pretty much same weather. I have noticed in general that if I'm in my stocking feet this seems to be less of a issue. I don't hear it thru my speakers -so suspect the static discharge is simply tripping whatever logic chip controls the mute relay. The air certainly is very dry at this point. I have the older Power Supply (No HIP) -not sure if this makes the BP-26 more or less vulnerable to switching when hit by static discharges ? This definitely falls into the  no harm/no foul category - just strange.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2018, 01:34 am »
same thing here....

I have a BP20 preamp. Almost everytime I touch the volume knob, a static shock causes the preamp to stop working. After the shock, the preamp and power supply indicate a red LED light. Gotta turn it off and back on again to get it working.

Just started happening a few weeks ago....when the weather got super cold and dry.   I'm in eastern canada.

Looking for advice, I emailed Mike at Bryston. He got back to me right away, and simply advised to touch another component first before the preamp - say the DAC or BDP.  it works everytime now...that is when I remember not the grab the volume knob first!

TJ

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2018, 01:56 am »
  It appears you have static build up in your home. try a steel washer attached to a say 12ga wire and connect wire to ground [ use a banana plug into ground hole of receptacle ]. Before you touch the unit grab on to the washer and ground yourself. Will never happen again. :thumb:

charles
It will dismiss static. Maybe the static was build by the user body, mainly clothes not by the equip.
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2018, 03:24 am by FullRangeMan »

stonedeaf

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2018, 02:17 am »
In my case -the static discharge only trips the mute circuit on or off. It's pretty easy to just lean to the right and manually shift back to whatever mode I want the pre-amp to be in. Have never had it lock up and have to do a hard boot. For me - very minor problem. Worth reporting just so if things shut down after a zap for some one else - look at the mute relay LED .

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2018, 05:15 pm »
same thing here....
I have a BP20 preamp. Almost everytime I touch the volume knob, a static shock causes the preamp to stop working. After the shock, the preamp and power supply indicate a red LED light. Gotta turn it off and back on again to get it working.
Just started happening a few weeks ago....when the weather got super cold and dry.   I'm in eastern canada.
Looking for advice, I emailed Mike at Bryston. He got back to me right away, and simply advised to touch another component first before the preamp - say the DAC or BDP.  it works everytime now...that is when I remember not the grab the volume knob first!
TJ
Decades ago, I was running the recording equipment for a Telarc recording. Over night the temperature had dropped a lot.  I was cueing up a tape on the SoundStream recorder (I said that it was a long time ago) when I touched one of the switches the tape recorder stopped!  So I touched the chassis with one hand and then the switches with the other.

Back at my day job, I investigated why it happened. Some of the old 74LSxxx digital chips were sensitive too static on their input pins and those pins were connected to panel switches.

rpmartins

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2018, 08:00 pm »

Sometimes I get a discharge when touching the amps. It´s static and only happens when I´m wearing wool.
There was a time I can change sources on my cyrus3 fronte panel without even touching the face plate.