Velodyne HGS-10B Subwoofer

henrylr

Velodyne HGS-10B Subwoofer
« on: 8 Sep 2023, 11:27 pm »
My Velodyne HGS-10B Subwoofer stopped making music. Does it have an internal fuse?

Thanks

henrylr

Re: Velodyne HGS-10B Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2023, 02:45 pm »
I bought it new in 1998 and it stopped working about five years ago. So, I thought I would try to fix it. I had forgotten how it worked when it failed so thought it might be a fuse. I plugged it in yesterday and It makes a low pitched sound that gets louder as I turn up the volume control on the back. So, if it has a fuse, that is not the problem. It looks great and I would hate to put it in the trash. Guess I'll put it on ebay.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2023, 02:52 pm »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2023, 03:29 pm »
You could pull the amp and check for obviously blown components, loose and broken wires, and as you noted a blown fuse.  Standard safety protocols apply, it is an amplifier.

henrylr

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2023, 03:40 pm »
It sat in the same place for 16 years. And, based on the fact it powers on and the woofer makes a low pitched sound, I think it is likely an amp problem. I see they have sold on ebay for parts and a woofer alone have sold for around $100. So, its off to ebay, unless someone here is interested.

henrylr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2023, 05:50 pm »
I've read a few post were people have done simple repairs and got it working. So I removed all the screws on the back plate but couldn't get it to move at all. Is there something else that needs to be done to get the amp out of the cabinet?

Thanks

henrylr

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2023, 07:55 pm »
A miricale just happened. Yesterday, only tried it with the interconnect running to the right channel. So, before putting it on ebay I just connected the IC to the left channel and it sounds great. I reconnected the IC to the right channel and it also sounds great. Maybe it sat unused for too long a time and just needed a kick start. I'm playing some jazz with upright bass and forgot how musical the sub is. It was always in a front corner of the home theater room and used for movies with loud, deep bass like top gun. Now I plan to use for stereo music so would the balance be better if placed centered between the front speakers?