SoundScapes & AVA at CA AUDIO Show

Mudslide

Re: SoundScapes & AVA at CA AUDIO Show
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:15 pm »
KMPD2e with Voyage MPD 0.75, 4GB CFhttp://store.voyage.hk/
http://store.voyage.hk/KMPD2e.php
Vortexbox MPD the MPaD app on iPad2 as well as Theremin on iMac to control Vortexbox to AVA Insight + DAC and have an S/PDIF output.

Ron

Whoa, Ron.  I wish I spoke Greek.    :scratch:

I just ran out of brain cells!    :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:36 pm »
Clearly stream-it doesn't understand the point of "less is more" in this scenario.  He really should follow his own advice and "do some research before you say things." ;)

ebag4

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:44 pm »
WOW stream-it.  You joined this morning and already have 3 antagonistic posts regarding a circle owners product in the owners own circle!  That has to be close to a record!  I think Jim showed a lot of class in answering your questions, why don't you do the same and stop.  There are many choices and you can purchase what you like.  It is starting to sound like you are the manufacturer of a competing product.

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #43 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:49 pm »
WOW stream-it.  You joined this morning and already have 3 antagonistic posts regarding a circle owners product in the owners own circle!  That has to be close to a record!  I think Jim showed a lot of class in answering your questions, why don't you do the same and stop.  There are many choices and you can purchase what you like.  It is starting to sound like you are the manufacturer of a competing product.

Besides, a "mute" point would be one that no one hears, where a "moot" point would be one of little or no practical value!

Steve

jsalk

« Reply #44 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:51 pm »
stream-it -

The Bryston example is only because you compared your unit to it. That is really not fair to Bryston! Also, the Auraliti and the Bryston can use the app you use so that is a mute point as well.

I'm sorry that I did not make myself more clear.  I was merely pointing out that a remote is not necessary and not as good as alternative remote applications.  But if you want to spend money on a remote, you certainly do have that option. You'll simply have to purchase it from someone else. No problem.

How can you say less is more? Your solution is more of everything! It's two cases, two power supplies, two mother boards, two ram modules (one embedded), two different operating systems, two drives (one ssd and one hdd), two etherent connections, web interface, router and one usb connection.

Our goal with the StreamPlayer was to develop the most minimalistic digital music player possible. There are companies that charge up to $1500 to remove unnecessary software from Mini Macs. But you are still left with more hardware than required.  This unneccesary hardware adds noise and complexity to the system and adds to the power supply requirements.  It does nothing to enhance audio quality.

With the StreamPlayer, we've removed all the hardware and software possible.  Instead of adding features that did not contribute to sound quality, we removed them until we were left with as minimal a system as we could build.

As for the need for two complete systems, it should be noted that the StreamPlayer does not require use of the StreamServer.  The server is only there in case someone wants a matching storage device.  The StreamPlayer will work with any music source you happen to have...vortexbox, MiniMac, Windows computer, Linux computer, NAS device, USB backup drive, etc.  In fact, we would recommend those lower cost alternatives if they fit a customer's needs.

Any "all-in-one" storage device requires more hardware and software than a simple player device.  That being the case, if you split the storage function from the player function, you end up with the cleanest, most stable player possible.

The player is simple, but you didn't invert it and the Alix project dates back to May 2008.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/326831/my-new-3-watt-dead-silent-usb-linux-music-server-pics-added

I don't recall ever saying we invented the underlying technology.  We merely took existing technology and adapted it fit our needs (just as any manufacturer would).  Bryston based their system on the exact same technology.  We just took a different approach.  They have a solid product that will meet many people's needs.  We feel our approach will meet the needs of another segment of the market.

Obviously we could have developed a device that would meet your expectations.  It would not, however, have met mine.  And I was building this device for myself.

It is obvious your philosophy differs from our's where this project is concerned.  That is perfectly OK.  This is a free country and you have every right to your opinion.  If you don't like our design, don't buy the product.  I have absolutely no problem with that.

I built the player I wanted and am very pleased with the results.  You are not.  Now that we have established that, let's accept it and move on as we both have more important things to do.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2011, 08:08 pm »

Besides, a "mute" point would be one that no one hears, where a "moot" point would be one of little or no practical value!

Steve

LOL!

I don't recall ever saying we invented the underlying technology.  We merely took existing technology and adapted it fit our needs (just as any manufacturer would). 

No no - he said "invert."  I guess he's mad that you didn't flip it upside down?  Shame on your for forgetting to do that, Jim!  No wonder he doesn't want to buy it. HAHA! :lol: :roll:

In case it wasn't clear to some people, I am being completely sarcastic and just goofing around.  This thread could use a chuckle.  Now, let's get back on track.

HT cOz

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:01 pm »
Jim nice product and approach. There is value in your service and support. Let's not forget that a lot of people don't want to fart around with the technology. They just want a proven product from someone they know and trust.
I would say that is especially true of people buying speakers at your price points. Plus you can make the product look correct with your speakers. I'm more of a diy person but I can appreciate what you're doing! 

stream-it

« Reply #47 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:09 pm »
I thought the debate was going well until the personal stuff came flying in! I mean you guys with 1000+ and 3000+ posts don't have anything better to add? Anyway, I thought it was funny as well:) Sorry about the spelling.

Jim, I actually admire your resolve! To show good faith I'll proceed with questions only. What is the second lan connection on the player for? I'm just curious.

jsalk

« Reply #48 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:46 pm »
Jim, I actually admire your resolve! To show good faith I'll proceed with questions only. What is the second lan connection on the player for? I'm just curious.

The board comes with two USB ports, two ethernet ports and one serial port.  We currently do not use the second USB port, the second ethernet port or the serial port.  If we order custom versions of this board, we will probably eliminate the second ethernet port and the serial port as we would likely never use them.  As for the second USB port, it could possibly be used for another purpose such as the connection of a USB backup drive containing music.  So even though we do not currently implement it, we would probably keep it and may even use it in the final production version.

Since these extra connections are not in active use, they have no bearing on the performance of the units. 

- Jim

trebejo

« Reply #49 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:48 pm »
I thought the debate was going well until the personal stuff came flying in!

We're just leery of people that invent an account just to flame a particular product from a small manufacturer. Smells fishy.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm »
Jim nice product and approach. There is value in your service and support. Let's not forget that a lot of people don't want to fart around with the technology. They just want a proven product from someone they know and trust.
I would say that is especially true of people buying speakers at your price points. Plus you can make the product look correct with your speakers. I'm more of a diy person but I can appreciate what you're doing!

I will most likely buy one of these. In the last few years I have learned a lot from theses forums but like every thing else, the more you get into the science the more there is to learn. Quite frankly, I am willing to leave the technical issues for the most part to the poeple I trust now. I really have my hands full staying on top of my professional field. ALthough I still enjoy learning and being able to speak with laymans knowledge about my system.  I want a nice looking system thats easy to operate and competes with the best sounding ones without paying outragous prices for very small returns. But thats just me and where I,m coming from right now.

Meicheng

« Reply #51 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm »
I've met a few manufacturers through AC, such as Jim Salk, Fritz, and Tom at Class D (Tom only by email) who are all willing to politely answer all questions and inquiries regarding their products.  I've grown very comfortable dealing with these people and trust their products, so thats where a lot of my audio hobby dollars go.  We are lucky here to have them all.  They are great people with great products willing to field all questions in an unassuming low key professional manner.   

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm »
Well, sounds like you just entered the rack business.

+1

Potential customer here if you decide to add the new SoundScape racks to your offering!   :green:

strat95

« Reply #53 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm »
Hi Jim,

I saw MPad mentioned in another post, but could you please mention which iPad app you are using to control your new Player?

Thanks,

Ted

stream-it

« Reply #54 on: 22 Jul 2011, 12:42 am »
Have you considered using the second network connection to allow communication with the streamer? This would avoid the complexities of being on the home network.

jsalk

« Reply #55 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:50 am »
Hi Jim,

I saw MPad mentioned in another post, but could you please mention which iPad app you are using to control your new Player?

Thanks,

Ted

On the iPad, I use mPad and am hoping the author continues to develop it. 

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:42 pm »
Have you considered using the second network connection to allow communication with the streamer? This would avoid the complexities of being on the home network.

That's actually a good idea, and the one positive post you've made thus far.  Try to keep up that streak. ;)

jsalk

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:49 pm »

When I first read your question, I thought that was a very good idea.  But then I realized that most people would be using a remote app to control the player.  If that is the case, they would be communicating through a wireless link to the network.  So it probably wouldn't work for most people.  Good thought though!

Another reason to have the system on a network is to use any computer to rip directly to a server.  In that case, you would want an internet connection in the loop in order to download song titles, album art, etc.

- Jim

jhm731

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:14 pm »
How does the Salk StreamPlayer compare to the Auraliti PK90-USB?

jsalk

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:40 pm »
How does the Salk StreamPlayer compare to the Auraliti PK90-USB?

I can't really say I know all the details of the PK-90.  But it uses a Julia sound card and more standard computer motherboard.  The StreamPlayer uses an embedded processor for the motherboard and is a far more "stripped-down" device with much lower power requirements.

I am quite sure the PK-90 is a fine piece of gear and it does offer more features.  But the StreamPlayer was designed with a different philosophy.  It is a more minimalistic device.  Removing all the extra hardware and supporting software results in an extremely stable and clean music player with very low power requirements.  While we certainly could have included more "features," our philosophy was to produce the cleanest, most minimalistic player possible.

- Jim