New 120 watt mono block pics from Dodd Audio.

Danny Richie

« on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:14 am »
120 watt mono blocks looking good in Burgundy!

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:26 am »
Damn sweet lookin' amps Danny, how do they sound????

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:30 am »
And what do they cost?

Danny Richie

Amps
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:38 am »
They sound just like all the rest of his stuff, AWESOME!  :rock:

I believe a pair of those are about $4,500.

One of these days everyone will be a little more familair with Dodd Audio. His stuff is way too good for what it cost, and sooner or later everyone is going to know it. It's just a matter of time.

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2003, 03:04 am »
Wow! I need to buy a Lotto ticket. They are beautiful.

I can imagine the glow attracting many bugs to the light.

Al

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:20 pm »
Those are beauts!  Does he have a list of his offerings somewhere?  Even without pictures it would be cool to know what he offers.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2003, 11:27 pm »
Those are damn near poronographic. Very nice!

Danny Richie

Cool stuff
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2003, 11:33 pm »
Wait until you see what is next!

Jay S

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2003, 01:04 am »
Wow!  And they don't seem that large either.

Marbles

Re: Cool stuff
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:00 am »
Quote from: Danny
Wait until you see what is next!

Um, What's next??? :?:

Danny Richie

This is what is next.
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:28 am »
Okay he's now back on my amps again.

First they were going to be a bigger version of these amps.

Same front end but with 6 output tubes. The circuit was designed hooked up and tested. Kicked ass too.

But his best sounding amps use his new front end. He used it in the 8 watt amp, the 50 watt amp and the 120 mono-blocks seen above. It is the heart of what makes them stand out and exceed other similar amps.

So one of those front ends is now being hook up and tested. Both amps will be hooked up by mounting it all to a temporary base, and listened to for hours to determine if it hits the high standard set for these.

Here are some pictures of the mock-up.

These will be made in many ways like the ones seen above in the first post here (you might have to flick back to the first page again). All 1/2" Aluminum chassis.

Look at the ones above and picture the center section that is Black being all chrome.

Then imagine the top and bottom plates that are Burgundy to be a bright metallic, almost candy, Blue.  

Now see the "W" shaped area that is drawn out where the tubes sit?

Imagine that as a 1/2" think solid piece of Aluminum that is setting on top of the metallic Blue plate. It will be cut all the way around with a 45 degree angled cut so that the top of it is smaller than the bottom. It will be like a pedestal for the tubes and will be chrome of coarse.

All the custom built cans covering the power supply caps and transformers are all chrome except for the power supply in the middle. It will be the metallic Blue also.

The engraved Dodd Audio logo on the front panel (like the one above) will have the Blue metallic filled in the letters all on the chrome panel.

The size is only as big as it needs to be, 33" long and 19" wide. Yea, kind of big.

The output transformer on the rear is 65lbs. The custom built can to cover it is a 10" square. It and the power supply (large one in the middle) will likely be recessed down into the top plate some to make them appear to be not so tall.

Large custom built spiked feet, also chrome, will support it all.

All transformers are one off customs and are some of the best made. All other parts will be the best available of coarse.

Oh yea, its output was 280 watts of power, all class A.

Total weight per amp is estimated at about 200lbs each.

My new pre-amp is being built to match too with the same Blue and chrome color scheme.

Know any good machinist with a CNC mill? This one off stuff is high and if a lot of it was written in code for a CNC machine it will be much easier for Gary to build a second set for the next guy, and the guy after that...

Cool huh. 8)

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:38 am »
Cool, yeh...about $10K worth of cool I would guess  8)

Those are going to be damn big amps...

How much heat will those bad boys throw off?

Danny Richie

$$$
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:58 am »
Yea, Gary gives me a pretty good deal on this stuff, but my guess is the final cost for a pair of these amps will be in the 12k and up range for the next purchaser.

The especially expensive finish mine are getting, damn chrome is high, will definitely put them in the "and up" range.  :thumb:

And maybe I won't have to burn so much wood in our fire place this Winter. I can just listen to music instead and heat the den up in the process.  :)

Not that we have to use the fireplace to heat the house, but my wife really loves a nice fire going. I would imagine I will still be burning some wood.  :|

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2003, 01:14 pm »
Know any good machinist with a CNC mill? This one off stuff is high and if a lot of it was written in code for a CNC machine it will be much easier for Gary to build a second set for the next guy, and the guy after that...

Danny, If you're serious I have a friend who can do this. He specializes in small runs of precision parts and prototype/custom work. I will PM you the info you are want it. As for quailty of work, his best customer is NIST.  8)

He's going to make me the parts for Schroder tone arm clone.  :D

Danny Richie

CNC
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2003, 03:13 pm »
Sure mgalusha,

I am very serious. Hook me up with him. I would like to get a bid from him if he is interested.

Where is he located?

wshuff

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:17 pm »
That's what I love about this forum.  You get to see the wheels turning... :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2003, 05:21 am »
Quote from: wshuff
That's what I love about this forum.  You get to see the wheels turning... :thumb:
and things get done! :beer: Regards, Robin

jacket_fan

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2003, 11:48 pm »
That's what I love about this forum. You get to see the wheels turning...  

And  the quality and performance of the hardware.  

I have been fortunate enough to see and hear some Dodd amps.  Really amazing stuff.  The fit and finish are stellar.  And they sound great.

I can't wait to see the finished product.  I am sure the sound will be equally amazing.  280 watts...  :!: