Rebuilding some AV/1 speakers

Shives

• I like French fries
Rebuilding some AV/1 speakers
« on: 10 Apr 2021, 02:14 pm »
So, I did it... A local guy was selling some “GR Research” speakers.. The AV/1. Guy was asking 250.00 I was able to talk him down a bit, took the drive and picked them up. I’ve posted them before when some were looking for products that may not have been in stock as an option.

Well I took that option. Some photos for you!

Gosh I hope they come out right side up in the photo.

Got them home and of course first thing take them all apart! Also, I heard something moving inside when I picked them up! Something came loose!!

I found this!!

I was a bit shocked at the fact the guy who built these used spade connectors! More so doubling them up in places. Granted very trick idea for something. But sound quality I fear will suffer.

Now this is just the woofer network, I’ve yet to pull the tweeter network down.

At this point I’m keeping one speaker as it is.. I’m going to rebuild the one taken apart, as well I still need to pull down the tweeter network that’s in the top of the cabinet. Anyways, I’ve found out these were not a GR build but GR products used, and made by a guy named Scott I think I was told.

So I’ve drawn out the schematic for the woofer, Next is tweet..

I purchased some nice Cherry wood that I’m going to stain (no clear coating, don’t want any goofy stuff happening inside the cabinet) re-designing the layout of the networks as well... Yup.. Getting rid of the old stranded wire. I’ll replace that with GR’s high purity copper solid core.

I’m going to fix up and measure the completed speaker, and do a side by side with the one still using the crap connectors, and the older wires. I want to see if some of my network ideas will have a positive effect on the sound. I’m going to take a new route to working these over.

I have a few different types of wood (in case anyone’s wants to play along)
Or suggestion on wood type. I think just keeping the vibrations down and making sure it’s a nice hardwood should be good. I’m not to worried about it like I would be with the cabinet itself.

The Cherry wood I’m using will be a little thicker then the standard 1/4... I chose 3/8 to give it a “firmer stance”  I don’t want any vibrations. Going to use wood standoffs, as well everything will be cut by hand. No power tools other then a solder iron.

Once I’ve completed this rebuild and testing... I plan to re-do the veneer on the cabinets! As these are showing there age!

Questions, comments, concerns or (kind) criticisms are very welcome! I’m not quiet understanding why my photos come out sideways. It’s really starting to bother me. Lol.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Rebuilding some AV/1 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2021, 04:15 pm »
If you add pics to your gallery you can rotate them before posting them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2021, 05:43 pm »
Those crossover parts are very nice, lucky find!  The Aeon cap is good but can be upgraded if you want. 

If there's room I might make the crossover boar a little longer so you could spread those inductors out from each other a bit. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2021, 06:55 pm »

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2021, 08:37 pm »
Not much room, but I’m going to push them out... And try and put them all out of phase best I can. By no means will I be re-using how this is setup. Width I’m limited by the driver opening. Length I think I can gain another inch maybe 2. Not much but will help. Have not pulled down the tweeter circuit. But these consist of 12 parts in each network. Mounted to the top of cabinet.

Thanks for the pictorial, which I do have that memorized and a snap shot of I ever have a moment.

Not bad.. need to wait on some wire to come in.. till then I’m  going to do some other upgrades on some speakers sitting.

Hey, thanks for the tip on the photos! I appreciate it.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2021, 08:45 am »
Those crossover parts are very nice, lucky find!  The Aeon cap is good but can be upgraded if you want. 

If there's room I might make the crossover boar a little longer so you could spread those inductors out from each other a bit.

Hey Tyson,
I was thinking the same thing. I think that both of his crossovers are worth more than my kit!  8) :lol:

Your right the Aeon cap should go and a Sonicap or equivalent used in it's place. But what a nice find.

SC

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2021, 12:32 pm »
Lololol. I’ve been waiting for my wire and tube connectors to come in from Danny. Been about a week now. Once they come in, I’ll pull the tweeter crossover! Yet more copper foil coils, caps and resistors.. The crossovers are like 12 parts for these drivers.

From what I get this is someone else take on Danny’s work!? I might be f-Ing that up. But, someone named Scott.. if I recall correctly.

I was considering taking the coils out and using them on my Klipsch speakers... Noooo lol. Think these will be re-wired, tube connections and then I’m going to sell them off to build another set.

If anyone is interested! Let me know.

Oh, I’ll snap the tweeter crossover and post it up when I get a minute. Again, trying not to take them apart further till I get my wire.

I might buy the better cap... we will see.. depends on cost. I don’t want to build them to a point I won’t see any return.