Spatial owners with small listening rooms, please stand up.

loki7177

Re: Spatial owners with small listening rooms, please stand up.
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:10 pm »
With the Maggie's.
How do you like the Spatials in comparison to the Maggie's?
I absolutely loved my LRS's!

I had LRS' too and love them.  In fact I went to demo the larger speakers and would have gotten the 3.7i if they would have fit in my room.  I would have never even discovered Spatial if that had happened.  It is difficult to compare Maggies to any conventional speaker.  Their frequency is very flawed but their presentation is so big and fun to listen to.  The Spatial are the most neutral and accurate speakers I have every owned.  I have had B&W, Sonus Faber, Monitor Audio, Totem, Harbeth, Maggies, Focal, am probably more I cannot remember.

Nsm1979

« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2021, 03:03 pm »
I have had M5s in an 11 by 14 by 8 room for about 15 months now.  Took lots of fine tuning, but the results are very good.  They are on the 11 ft wall with a desk between them, four feet from the front wall and about 16 inches from side walls. I’m near field (5 ft) with 4-5 feet behind me yet.

Worked with GIK to tame the room.  Four monster traps in corners, one freestander at each first reflection point, and then six 244 panels (3 with diffusers) on the ceiling.  That was quite a weekend!

So it’s doable. The imaging, clarity, and sound stage is amazing on good to excellent recordings, and/but I found the treatments a game changer and worth the outlay, however my system develops from here.

I can also say: so many recordings just suck.

It sounds like i have almost the same room.  Would it be too much to ask for a picture? 

sockpit

« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2021, 05:24 pm »
Deleted. Duplicate.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2021, 11:09 pm by sockpit »

sockpit

« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2021, 05:30 pm »
I have a few more, but am having trouble getting them to upload.  May need help from a moderator.  When I hit "upload and insert image" it doesn't connect to my desktop or anywhere I can pull a pic up. Sorry. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2021, 05:39 pm »
Instead of "Upload and insert an image", you should pick "Select and insert an image from your gallery".

sockpit

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:18 pm »

This one is pre room treatment.

sockpit

« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:49 pm »
Instead of "Upload and insert an image", you should pick "Select and insert an image from your gallery".

Thanks for this tip.  I managed to get an old photo just above from my "gallery."  But when I'm in my gallery, I'm unable to upload new photos.  Same problem: I hit "choose file" but it doesn't bring up anywhere on my computer from which to choose and upload.  Might just be my bad computer skills.

I'd like to add some more recent shots.  Thx.

sockpit

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:07 pm »
I think it might be an issue with my computer.  iPad seems to do it correctly. A couple more pics to follow of M5s in tiny room with lots of treatments. The room is so small, it's naturally hard to get good photos.

Nsm1979

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2021, 12:37 am »
Thanks for the picture uploads.  What are the dimensions of your ceiling panels?

sockpit

« Reply #29 on: 17 Mar 2021, 01:02 am »
They are GIK 244s.  Basically 2 feet by 4 feet: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/

Mike Major at GIK advised me on the whole room.  Clayton blessed the plan as I proceeded  :)

They made a significant difference: better imaging and richer, deeper bass (following the counter-intuitive principle that bass traps--12 of them!--do not suck bass out of a room, they even it out so you don't have as many modes and dips.  With little space to work with, that strikes me as especially important.  If your chair happens to sit in a dead spot . . .

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #30 on: 17 Mar 2021, 12:38 pm »
my room is about the size of the OP's.   i had to pull my M3s about 2.5 feet in from the back (longer) wall to optimize the sound.  they were not as sensitive to sidewall distance - i have them about 5 feet from each other, and not quite symmetrical in the room due to windows/furniture etc.  the thing that i found through accidental experimentation was nearfield listening.   as i moved the listening position closer to the speakers the better they got - up to a point "touching distance" from the speakers, which i find optimal.  this helped alleviate the backwall distance issue too - the speakers move out into the room but the listener does not need to keep moving back.

the tonal balance is full range.  the soundstage can be even wider than the room and extends from just in front of the speakers to behind the back wall.  nearfield provides a very front row presentation, or almost like being on the stage with the musicians.  vivid.  alive.

in my set up, zero toe-in works best- in other words speaker baffles parallel to back wall.  there are no room treatments in my room.

so YES M3s can work great in small-ish rooms.  (and correspondingly with low-ish powered amps)

i encourage those with small rooms (and perhaps large rooms too) to experiment with nearfield listening positions.   and nearfield with spatial deserves a thread of its own.

sockpit

« Reply #31 on: 17 Mar 2021, 04:04 pm »
I, too, have found near field listening to be stunning.  I need only sit up or lean forward in my chair to dial in each recording. Am about 4-5 feet away from speakers most of the time.  Nearer puts you on stage.