M3 Sapphires vs X5

Martin-Andersen

M3 Sapphires vs X5
« on: 10 Mar 2021, 08:47 pm »
Hi I am trying to decide between the M3 Sapphires and the X5.

The X5 is a real full-range OB where the M3 only has OB bass.
So there must be a difference in soundstage.

I just don't know how to choose and I can't return them because I live in Denmark.
Has anyone compared both of this speakers in the same room with the same equipment?

My room is 25m and my amp is a LM 845 Premium 30W SET amp.

Audiosaurusrex

Re: M3 Sapphires vs X5
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2021, 01:23 am »

I just don't know how to choose and I can't return them because I live in Denmark.
Has anyone compared both of this speakers in the same room with the same equipment?

Hello Martin,
I have the M3’s and am running the SPL Director/Performer Combo and they do nicely because of the power but I think with your room and amp the X5s are the way to go. I would imagine that both are very dynamic with an incredible soundstage. I wonder if your SET would be able to push those drivers on the M3’s. Clayton has said if your amp has 4 ohm taps you might be fine. Clayton does respond to these posts so I’m sure he can guide you or you should definitely try to ring him up. I love my M3’s!

Martin-Andersen

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2021, 02:19 pm »
Hi I think my amp is up to the job. It has 4 ohms taps and are currently driving a pair of Tekton Design Double Impact 4 ohm speakers. https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/double-impact/#color

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2021, 05:20 pm »
Yes it seems so. Your room is roughly the same size as mine. I was actually looking at the Raven Osprey 30 watts and Clayton gave his blessing on that amp so you should be fine

loki7177

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2021, 05:20 pm »
Your amp will be fine for the M3 Sapphires.  I have used tube amps as low as 10 WPC into 6 ohms for my M3S and it has been fine.  I was contemplating the same decision when I purchased mine.  I emailed Clayton and he called the same evening to speak to me about my decision.  The difference between he two besides the active bass drivers on the X series vs the passive on the M is characteristics of the tweeter.  The ribbon tweeter has a much more focused dispersion pattern therefore if you have long room or sit far away this would be a better option as you will have less reflected sound waves reaching your listening position.  I have a 14' x 14' room that is well treated and I only sit 9' away therefore the dome tweeters with it's wider dispersion were better for my situation. 
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2021, 03:48 pm by loki7177 »

Spatial Audio

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2021, 06:46 pm »

Hello Martin,

Thank you for participating in our forum. I would have to agree with Loki and Rex, that the Line Magnetic 845 will be a good match with the M3, so don't be concerned about that question. If you can send me an email (claytonshawis@gmail.com), we can cover your room setup in more detail. That will give me a better understanding of your situation. Please attach a couple of room pics. I can then comment on whether you need the X5 or not.

Best,
Clayton

Martin-Andersen

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2021, 07:16 pm »
Thanks, really appreciate it. I will send you some picture of my room