Cheap/cheerful network audio player?

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
Re: Cheap/cheerful network audio player?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2020, 12:24 am »
I received the Klipsch Gate and hooked it up the my system.  There were a couple of things I was hoping it could do that I could not get working.

1) Media Server feature: When selecting music to steam there is a "Media Server" option.  I have a WD MyCloud device that has DNLA Media Server functionality that I turned on. When I selected Media Server the app would go into search mode and not be able to find it.  Still working on that feature.

2) I was hoping a second option would be to run a media player on my computer and run the audio to my Klipsch Gate "Audio In" port and basically use my Klipsch Gate as a wireless volume control.  I could not get that working either and after Googling the issue noticed others were not able to get it to work as well.

The price has risen from $35 initially to $95 for a reconditioned unit on Amazon.  Without the line-in feature there are other cheaper options out there.  However I am still looking for something that will do one of the two above.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:18 am »
I’m the dumbest guy in the world when it comes to electronics but my two Gates easily found and connected to my computer to access music files on it.  I no longer have the computer but let me see if I can follow the steps that I took.  One question, did you do  a software update via the klipsch app?  That may help..

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:21 am »
Oh another thing, I use the Play-Fi app with my Gate’s.  The app started off buggy but I think they resolved issues as it’s been become faultless. Maybe that will help?

tsusko

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:23 am »
Really appreciate your feedback.  I would be very interested in how you made it work.  Did you use the line-in feature or did you run an app that turned your computer into a Media Server?

I figure I was missing something or had a defective unit.  I purchased a Phorus 5 for $30 and it is essentially the same unit without a line input.  Like you mentioned you can use the Play-Fi app with either. 

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2020, 11:15 am »
It appears that this would do it.

https://play-fi.com/apps/windows/

tsusko

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2020, 02:57 am »
It appears that this would do it.

https://play-fi.com/apps/windows/

You are the man!   I downloaded and installed this and it is just what I was looking for.  I paid the $14 for the registered version (which went to Phorus BTW) which essentially turned my computer into a network audio player.

It allows me to use the output from WinAmp or Windows Media Player and stream it through my Phorus ($29.95) gateway. (see below) I can still open the (Phorus or Play-Fi) mobile app on my phone or iPad and control the volume. 

Thank you!

Oldbryston

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2021, 12:02 am »
See review for the paradigm gate over at ASR.  It appears to have issues.   YMMV. 

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2021, 12:45 am »
See review for the paradigm gate over at ASR.  It appears to have issues.   YMMV.

Everything has issues over at ASR.