Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp

witchdoctor

Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp
« on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:01 pm »
The Powergate integrated amp can be connected to your system via RCA inputs, digital optical inputs, USB, bluetooth or via an app that runs on your network. The network can be connected via wireless or ethernet.
I am using this amp in my desktop system in a 2.1 setup with Boston Acoustics Soundware speakers and ASW250 sub.
BTW, it also has a headphone input and a remote control. The remote not only lets you select a source but has a volume control for both the speakers AND the sub! First time I have had a volume on the remote for the sub and it is a handy feature. The retail for this amp is $499 and I scored it for $150 on Amazon.

I find the amp is very powerful and extends a wall to wall soundstage in my small office space. My previous office system was separates from the Parasound Z components, a Zpre, Zdac and a Zamp.
The Dac in the Powergate is a notch better than the Zdac (Zdac id $500 MSRP by itself). The Zdac sounds great but the Powergate just presnets music in a very analog fashion. Everything sounds like you are in the studio listening to musicians in a live space, not behind the glass looking through a window. In a blind test it would sound more like a turntable than a DAC to my ears.
The amp is rated as a class D but sounds very,very open. More like a tube amp in the midrange and treble and a solid state amp in the bass.

The $150 price is beyond reasonable as the amp bested my Parasound separates which collectively are about $1200 MSRP. The Z compoents sound GREAT until you hear the Powergate. Then I just have 0 desire to change back.

The Powergate is part of the DTS-Playfi ecosystem and the app lets you play any file on your network and stream from pretty much any service out there. The OS is excellent compared to the Bluos system I have also tried.
HIGHLY recommended. Here is a video of the powergate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ksk1e6lXAU

OzarkTom

Re: Klipsch Powergate Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:10 pm »
This cheap equipment gets better and better. Many audiophiles are missing out because they think good sound costs megabucks.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:15 pm »
BTW, the amp does run a little hot so I have it sitting on this fan which is plugged into the USB port on the back of the amp. I have it on the lowest setting, can't hear it at all, and keeps the amp ice cold.

Fan link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:19 pm »
This cheap equipment gets better and better. Many audiophiles are missing out because they think good sound costs megabucks.

:oops:, I know, you can count me as one of them. I wouldn't call my previous $1200 desktop system mega bucks, but it is almost 9 times more expensive than the powergate, takes up 3 times as much space, is not networked, has no sub out feature, no bluetooth and no phono input. What can you do? This is what happens when you apply Moores Law to audio.

Sparky14

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:23 pm »
Thanks! I've been looking at little amps for my desktop, this looks like a nice all-in-one unit.

I had a Teac AI-D301 a couple of years ago in my home system. That was a great unit but I sold it without thinking that I could have used it at my desk. This Powergate is quite a bit cheaper.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:29 pm »
Thanks! I've been looking at little amps for my desktop, this looks like a nice all-in-one unit.

I had a Teac AI-D301 a couple of years ago in my home system. That was a great unit but I sold it without thinking that I could have used it at my desk. This Powergate is quite a bit cheaper.

Another nice feaure for a desktop is it has an ethernet in and out. You plug one ethernet cable into the amp then run one from the amp to your PC, all connected.

DZetye

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:39 pm »
Does it offer music through Tune-in radio streaming services?

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:41 pm »

Here is a link to the play-fi list of services:

https://play-fi.com/music-services/

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:44 pm »
If I were building a system today I would start by buying this amp and taking the rest of my budget for speakers.
I would NOT recommend separate components when you could take that budget and go nuts with speakers. If you ever needed more power this amp has pre-outs for the L-R channels so you can always add another poweramp.

DZetye

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:51 pm »
It says Tune-in is only available on play fi enabled onkyo and pioneer devices.  Thats why I asked.  My Bluesound does Tune-in and I can't get by without it

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2019, 08:00 pm »
It says Tune-in is only available on play fi enabled onkyo and pioneer devices.  Thats why I asked.  My Bluesound does Tune-in and I can't get by without it

I will try it later today on the powergate and confirm it works, NP.

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2019, 08:31 pm »

Same here. My current favorite station at the moment is ABC Jazz Radio.

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2019, 09:21 pm »

Does not have Tunein. BTW I have no affiliation with Klispch or DTS, I'm just a customer.

DZetye

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2019, 10:16 pm »
Nuts.  Sounded like just what I needed

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2019, 10:42 pm »
If anyone else gets a Powergate and decides to post it would be interesting to hear more of how it performs in different setups. I am using it in a 2.1 setup and will compare with my JBL 230 monitors without a sub.
My Reference speakers are active so can't try the amp with them.

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm »
Nuts.  Sounded like just what I needed

You do get iheart radio with it.

For $29 (when on sale) you get tunein and iheart with the Amazon Echo Dot. You also get tunein witch Chromecast Audio if you can find one.

There may be some left here.

https://www.mobilefun.com/google-chromecast-audio-black-70476

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2019, 10:54 pm »
duplicate post
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2019, 12:41 am by Doublej »

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2019, 12:21 am »
Hey Witchdoctor, do you own an audiophile power cable? If so, buy one of these and you should hear an improvement in the sound of your amp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IEC-320-C14-Male-to-C7-Female-Power-Adapter-Extension-Travel-Converter-L2J4/253985511006?epid=22026014457&hash=item3b22b7565e:g:ojEAAOSwWH1b75Si:rk:18:pf:0

witchdoctor

« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2019, 04:39 am »
Hey Witchdoctor, do you own an audiophile power cable? If so, buy one of these and you should hear an improvement in the sound of your amp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IEC-320-C14-Male-to-C7-Female-Power-Adapter-Extension-Travel-Converter-L2J4/253985511006?epid=22026014457&hash=item3b22b7565e:g:ojEAAOSwWH1b75Si:rk:18:pf:0

Thanks, great tip. I can take the Signal Cable power cord I was previously using on my DAC and now use it on the Powergate, great idea, thanks.

I tried the Powergate in the Man Cave tonight with my JBL 230 monitors which go low enough that they don't really need a sub for music. I really like this amp, very musical and articulate. When you listen, musical instruments really sound like individual instruments, particularly drums and bass. I find drums can kind of get lost in the bass sometimes, with this amp each drum from a snare, to a floor tom to a kick drum really articulate each brush stroke, stick snap, or kick. Cymbals are crystal clear with the articulate reverberation instead of just a more typical splash. Voices are very natural, I can hear subtle intonations of singers I just never noticed before.
I wish I had a big set of difficult to drive full range speakers to put this amp through the paces but my bigger speakers are active.

estuardo4

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2019, 07:13 pm »
Hello Witchdoctor, thank you for your report about the Powergate,

I've been searching and searching to no avail, about the class D amp used on this amp. There is a review that shows the innards of the system, showing in detail the power section and the amp section, but I cannot locate the amp details.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.son-video.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Powergate-Generale-02.jpg?ssl=1

Do you have an idea of what type of amp is used? It should be a moderately decent chip, based on the $499 initial price tag.

Thank you for your help.