Name that speaker II

jsalk

Name that speaker II
« on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:07 am »
We had such good input when we named the SongTowers, that I thought it would be a great idea to try it again with another new model.

Here are some photos to get you started...

Here is a frequency response graph...

The story will follow in the next post.

- Jim

SET Man

Re: Name that speaker II
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:10 am »
Hey!

Well, easy! :D

"The Pyramid Top" :lol:

Or.... "The Obelisk" :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:11 am »
Jim.....That speaker looks like a "Lighthouse".... 8)

Link...old lighthouse.

SwedeSound

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:26 am »
They look like the Washington Monument so why not

"Salk Monuments"

or maybe "Musical Monuments"

Or just "Monumentals"

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:27 am »
For all of you Dr. Who fans - I'm thinking 'The Dalek'

Bryan

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:30 am »
About 18 months ago, Jeff Bagby contacted me asking if we would be interested in developing a high-efficiency design he had been thinking about.  For those of you who do not know Jeff, he is a very talented crossover designer and also the author of a number of software programs for speaker design.  Naturally, we were interested, but we had a lot on our plate at the time.

A few months later, John Z. contacted us asking which of our speakers we would recommend for use with his low-power tube amps.  I told him that we did not have a design I thought would be appropriate, but might be developing one somewhere down the line.  He asked what it would take to get the project off the back burner.  I told him that if he wanted to order a pair, Jeff would certainly be excited at the prospect of turning his ideas into reality.  John sent a deposit check and we started working on the project.

Since this design would utilize a 12" JBL woofer, I knew the cabinet would be quite large.  But I didn't want it to look overly oppressive.  So I talked to a friend of mine, Bruce Campbell, about helping us out.  Bruce is a VERY high end furniture designer and he was willing to give it a shot.

We worked out all the interior volume and high requirements and I gave Bruce the specifics.  He came up with about two pages of sketches, many of which were very unique.  But one of them stood out.  It was a cabinet in the shape of an obelisk.  As we discussed various options, we realized that the lack of any parallel surfaces in the cabinet would be an advantage.  And we liked the fact that although the cabinet was wide enough to accommodate the 12" woofer, it was slender enough at the top so it came off as being smaller than it actually was.

We then built a pair of cabinets we tentatively called the "OB3's" and I delivered the design to Jeff for his crossover development.  Jeff is a perfectionist, so we knew the process would take a while.  But we also knew that when he finished, it would be a very good speaker.  And, it was.

The "OB3's" feature the same G2 tweeter that we have come to love in our HT3's.  For the midrange and woofer, we needed high sensitivity drivers.  PHL makes some very good drivers and we chose to use a 6.5" version for the midrange.  As for the woofer, JBL seemed to be the darling of the high-sensitivity crowd and it fit our design criteria quite nicely.

The resulting speaker is 95db efficient and very tube friendly.

How does it sound?  Well, John got them last week and set them up over the week-end.  Today I received an email with the following comments:

"I really feel that a friend of mine has worded better than anything that I could write.
She asked me, "Where is the artist?"
Your HT-3's are an excellent speaker but, in my opinion, you have raised the bar with this set of speakers.  
The sound? - Andrea said it best, so real that it is hard to imagine that the artist is not in the room.  I do not think that there is a better compliment for a set of speakers.
I was playing a record album by a local artist, Ron Hudson (Spanish Classical Guitarist), the title of the song was "Soleares" and bearing in mind that these speakers are not even broken, the clarity, range are just absolutely wonderful.
Thank you and by the way, this pair will never be up for sale on Audiogon.

- John"

This, of course, is a special purpose speaker designed for music reproduction with low power tube amps.  The drivers are more expensive than those in our HT3's and the cabinet is infinitely more complex and difficult to build.  There are no parallel surfaces in the cabinet and just calculating all the angles was a feat in itself.  So this will be the most expensive speaker we have ever offered.  It will probably start at about $8995 per pair and go up from there depending on the finish.  

Well, there you have it.  Name away!

- Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:35 am »
Another....the Salk Hi-Tops.... :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:37 am »

Bryan

Hey!

"EX-TER-MI-NATE!" "EX-TER-MI-NATE!" :lol:

BTW... Bryan the new Doctor Who season 2 will be air here in the US on BBC America channel starting September 1st I think. With new Doctor. I will miss Christopher Eccleston from season 1 :D Well at least Rose Tyler is still the same person... Billie Piper, I like her. She is cute :inlove:

Anyway, sorry for being off topic here  :icon_lol:

Take care,

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:37 am »
Actually, after reading Jim's post, I think the original description fits quite well

The Obelisk

low.pfile

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:38 am »
Kubrick

chadh

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:52 am »

Bryan

You know, even though the speakers look absolutely nothing like daleks, there is something strangely, undeniably dalekish about them.

Now all we need is a word that means "evocative of a dalek", and we're all set.

Chad

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:59 am »
It's the midrange that looks like the suction cup looking weapon on the front of the Dalek.

Bryan

BradJudy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:07 am »
Interesting. I think I'd like it better without the cap, but very nice.

Is that crotch mahogany?

PeteG

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:08 am »
The Monumets

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:12 am »
This is very cool, because SET lovers do not have a lot of choices when it comes
to modern speakers these days!

Any chance we can ever get a pair for review?

We love SET stuff, but always come back to the speaker dilemma....

Good luck on this project either way!

yooper

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:50 am »

This, of course, is a special purpose speaker designed for music reproduction with low power tube amps.

Oh oh....(looks around room).... shhhh   :shh:.......dont anyone tell Zybar!   :lol:

Great work Jim!  :thumb:

Mark

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:55 am »

This, of course, is a special purpose speaker designed for music reproduction with low power tube amps.

Hey!

Yeah! Now he's talking my language!  aa

Take care,

Toka

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2007, 03:13 am »
They look like the Washington Monument so why not

"Salk Monuments"

or maybe "Musical Monuments"

Or just "Monumentals"

Hmmm..."Salk Monument" has a cool ring to it...most apropos as well.  8) When I first saw the pic, I immediately thought "Egypt"...nesew means "royal" (essentially), though its use grammatically can be tough...but I think it'll work. Other words:

Tewet - Statue

Khet - Tree

Lots of other words work in English, but not so much the other way...hmm...looks like a winner either way!  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2007, 04:29 am »
Actually, after reading Jim's post, I think the original description fits quite well

The Obelisk
One thats been out many years....the Shahinian Acoustics' "Obelisk"....

brj

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2007, 04:37 am »
Salk Pinnacle