Is Anything Happening Around Here?

rms

Re: Is Anything Happening Around Here?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:36 pm »
There is one other thing I meant to add. My brother who lives in Denver attended RMAF this year and shortly after came to visit. He had not heard my sytem with the Continuums before. So we did some serious listening with many of the same recordings he had listened to at the show. His comment after a few of the most revealing tracks was that the only systems at the show that sounded better cost well over $100,000. 

jwes

« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2009, 06:55 pm »
Hi Guys,

Is SP Tech currently operating and making speakers?  If so, how/where can I learn about them?  I tried their website link, which went to a "dead" page.  I also called the number on that page and got a robotic voice greeting with no indication that it was voice mail for SP Tech.  Any help would be appreciated!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2009, 07:53 pm »
Yes, but the site's been down for repairs for awhile.  The phone number is Bob's.  Keep trying or send him a PM here, or an email.
engineering10@4sptech.com

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb 2009, 09:34 pm »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2009, 10:38 pm »
Chris comes through again!

jwes

« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:00 am »
Thanks guys.  By the way, I had also tried the e-mail address a few days ago. Anyway these look like great speakers.  I wonder how the big 20k pair compares against the other huge price speakers. It looks like one owner has some of the same electronics - spectron mk2 monos and a modwright transporter.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:07 am »
Thanks guys.  By the way, I had also tried the e-mail address a few days ago. Anyway these look like great speakers.  I wonder how the big 20k pair compares against the other huge price speakers. It looks like one owner has some of the same electronics - spectron mk2 monos and a modwright transporter.
That owner would be ted_b......

I'm sure he could fill you in on how they compare.... :thumb:

Frank S.

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:37 am »
Ted's system is looking and I'm sure sounding pretty killer!  :thumb: :thumb:

jwes

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:07 am »
 :o  Wow!  look at that system!  And room!

I won't be having anything like that in the near future, but I'm humbled to have a few similar pieces!  Are there enough of the big SP's out there to have a street price below the 20k list?   :drool:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:14 am »
Wow, thank you guys!! :oops:  I hope to have the new carpet (black with thin silver striping, etc.), painting (black sloped area and ceiling, RL Suede Gray walls) and riser (8" in back third of room) done in the next 30 days.  The tube rolling we've been doing with the Modwright stuff, as well as finding some great synergy in power cords, etc. has improved my system by nearly 30% (or maybe more).   I'm grateful to all on AC for the immense help.  Anyone in NE Ohio (hint; stay away from our weather until May 1) c'mon over!!

And yes, there are two pairs of Revelations still out there for like $6-7K pair!!  Go for it!!!  They're being sold by Dr Rod McVeety (Colorado via New Mexico) and Pat's pair in Western Canada (2bigears).

Sp Tech is the greatest audio find of my life.  Bob's designs are stupidly simple, yet genius.  He does all the right things, and uses tried and true technology and physics.   The sound, especially in my 2 channel setup, is incredible.  A "they are here" sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:40 am »
Wow, thank you guys!! :oops:  I hope to have the new carpet (black with thin silver striping, etc.), painting (black sloped area and ceiling, RL Suede Gray walls) and riser (8" in back third of room) done in the next 30 days.  The tube rolling we've been doing with the Modwright stuff, as well as finding some great synergy in power cords, etc. has improved my system by nearly 30% (or maybe more).   I'm grateful to all on AC for the immense help.  Anyone in NE Ohio (hint; stay away from our weather until May 1) c'mon over!!

And yes, there are two pairs of Revelations still out there for like $5-6K pair!!  Go for it!!!  They're being sold by Dr Rod McVeety (Colorado via New Mexico) and Pat's pair in Western Canada (2bigears).

Sp Tech is the greatest audio find of my life.  Bob's designs are stupidly simple, yet genius.  He does all the right things, and uses tried and true technology and physics.   The sound, especially in my 2 channel setup, is incredible.  A "they are here" sound.

Off topic alert...

Ted,

Are you doing the painting yourself?

I have been told by various painting pro's that the RL paint (depending on the finish and texture) is very difficult to use and can look quite bad if not applied properly.

Good luck with the renovation!

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2009, 02:48 am »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me.??..painting...??.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

George, we know each other, but not well enough I guess.    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah..no, that would not be me painting my room.  I'm gonna be there with donuts, drop cloths and "please don't move those speakers" signs.

mfsoa

« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:06 am »
I don't think the Suede is too bad, but the River Rock - Ahhhhhh.  3 coats in my listening room and a bitch to get even (I never did)

-Mike

bbchem

« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:09 pm »

Jwes,  there are also a pair of Minis available on Audiogon for around $1400, this is the steal of the century for the level of sound quality they provide!

:thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:19 pm »

Jwes,  there are also a pair of Minis available on Audiogon for around $1400, this is the steal of the century for the level of sound quality they provide!

:thumb:

Here too.  And without having to go through Audiogon maybe he'd cut you addtl discounts (A-gon charges for sales now).
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64443.0

jwes

« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:46 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for the links and info on the "for sale" speakers!   :thumb:

Ted - I'm curious what these beat and/or replaced for you.  I currently have Spectron Mk 2 monos driving Dali Euphonia MS4's (list for 10k, but can be had cheaper now).  Also, what are the additional SP boxes sitting behind/inside each of your SP speakers?  Are those something like optional external crossovers?

Thanks!

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:14 pm »
Jim,
I replaced Ridge Street Audio's Sason speakers, and before that had VMPS RM/X's (limited editions).

The boxes are the Mundorf external crossovers (ultimate versions with silver/gold/oil caps).  There are few pics in my gallery.  Here's one taken the day they arrived, with some older speaker wire we had; I currently use Elrod Remote Sense prototypes from Spectrons to xover, and use Goertz MI-2's to speakers....my custom Bob Smith Zero Resonance silver and copper ribbon cables are due to arrive soon; they will replace the Goertz ribbons.

jwes

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2009, 06:13 pm »
Hi Ted,

Thanks very much for the picture and explanation.  Your recommendation of these speakers has/had me quite interested.  However, as a potential customer, I thought maybe that I should share my experience thus far:

I tried e-mail, phone, and web site to no avail (until the correct website was provided by Chris, not SP Tech).  I read the explanation from last year about issues with the funding, which was actually fine - happens to small businesses all the time.  However, the long discussion about issues with one employee not excited about his job, etc. etc., was curious - I found that an odd thing to be emphasizing.  Then the description of the new woodworker, and "now the wood work is going to be great", made me a little concerned about the used speakers for sale (they were made when the unmotivated guy, that could have become good but never did, was doing the wood work).  Further, there are recent posts about people being in the dark for months.

Overall, I can't put my $$ here now, but because of Ted and other reviews, I want to be excited about these speakers.  So, to SP Tech:  please somehow let the world know if you are a solid going concern.  Maybe this would strengthen prospects with future potential customers.  FULL DISCLOSURE: I felt very lucky a while back to get my money back from Supratek after I had put down a sizeable deposit on a Dual Cabernet pre-amp.  I heard nothing for months, and then learned that they had shut their doors.  So, I'm particularly tuned to these kind of issues.

Jim

Christof

« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2009, 08:01 pm »
Jim,

If it matters to you, I have seen the cabinets made by the "unmotivated woodworker(s)" you are speaking of, which constitute most of the used speakers on the market right now.  I assure you that because they were built by an "unmotivated" cabinet guy does not mean they are of poor quality.  Bob's comment that you quote "...now the woodwork is going to be great..." came out of his mouth wrong.  I've been to his place and talked with him regarding woodworking many many times (I'm a furniture builder located just a few miles away).  I know what he meant to say is "....now the wood working is actually going to happen in a reasonable time frame".  I'm not trying to put words in his mouth or defend him but if Bob did not approve of a cabinet that was to go out the door he would freak out and demand it be done over, that's just the way he is.  I am, by no means, making excuses for his issues with time frames or other issues you may have with his company, I'm just commenting, matter-of-fact, on what I saw going out the doors of his shop during the time period of the "unmotivated worker(s)".

cg.

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2009, 08:13 pm »
:D  second the 'no-worries' stand on the older boxes.heavy and solid,sound great.the dude can build some killer speakers for a mad scientist :thumb: :D