A great way to mod your nOrh subs....

Marbles

A great way to mod your nOrh subs....
« on: 4 Feb 2005, 07:31 pm »
A while back I had my sub amps modded.  One thing I learned was that only one of the 2 10K caps was hooked up.  I had them replace the caps with 3 20K uf ones for a total of 60k Uf.

I also had him ground them better so they are now silent.

On a recent visit to Jim Salk (www.salksound.com) I heard some really great bass.  He said he had TC sounds mod their 10" TC2+ woofers for him.  The downside was he had to buy the production run, and by the way did I want to buy any raw drivers?

Back at my house, I measured the recess on my subs where the grill fits in and it is exactly 10.5".  The exact outside diameter of the TC driver!

So I ordered one, borrowed a friends power jigsaw and enlarged the driver hole.  I did have to cut one interior brace to get it to fit, but it fits perfectly in the recess, although it does stick up a bit as the recess is not deep enough to get it flush with the cabinet.

As for sound, the output of the sub is now more than adequate for most duties it is called upon for and substantially more than it was with the 8" vifa driver.

I haven't measured it, but based on the sub having a 55L interior, a 9.5 inch long and 3" diameter port, modeling showed the tuning is about 29.25Hz with an F3 of about 27 and an F10 of about 22Hz.  That is before room gain.

Anyway Jim sells this driver for $150 each plus shipping.  Oh yeah, I just ordered a second one.

One last comment on my sub amps, the line level inputs never worked, and when I switch the phase switch, it's like I just added 6 db.  

When I flip the 0/-6 DB switch, nothing noticeable really happens.

One gripe is the "blade" connectors you have to use to attach speaker wire to the amp.  They just are a PITA and a better design should have been used.

Anyway, going from the 8" VIFA to the 10" Salk TC Sounds is a nice upgrade.

My nOrh subs are obviously wood ones, and not the newer marble ones.