has anyone verified the speed of their turntable?

sHERO

has anyone verified the speed of their turntable?
« on: 9 Mar 2023, 06:20 pm »
Regards.

I wonder if any member has verified the speed accurac and constancy of their turntable speed.

Not by using a strobo disc which really gives a very general idea of the speed, and not a real reading, like with electronic speed readers.

A Phoenix Engineering eagle and roadrunner will monitior the speed in real time and provide speed information accurate to 3 decimal places.....

I installed a similar device on my Well Tempered Turntable with square motor, any my table was running slow and with fluctuations.

As the original tables were famous for being speed accurate with low wow and flutter, I wonder if anyone has verified their table.

Thanks.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: has anyone verified the speed of their turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2023, 10:18 pm »
Time to change your belt with an OEM one...

As your belt ages, it wears out & stretches, causing it to run slow & fluctuate...

My $0.02,
Pete

sHERO

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2023, 11:04 pm »
Thanks.

Tried several belts....

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2023, 11:36 pm »
I ordered a belt from Origin in the UK.
After measuring the size I needed for my Well Tempered Reference.
On the website they will tell you how to measure.
It was a really heave duty belt.

https://www.originlive.com/shop/high-performance-flat-belts.html

sHERO

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2023, 12:11 am »
Thanks.

Indeed I tried that belt too, have found it less than perfect in the context of this tabs's filosophy as it is too stiff compared to the original. The motor vibration can more easily move to the platter.

In reality I am not asking for a solution, I have a few ideas to try.

As matter of fact part of the variability is due to the motor design and construction, it has a lot of torque but is not soprecise in the constant rotations.

I ask because I have read other posts that mention their tables runing slow too.

jupiterboy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2023, 12:50 am »
I think Turntabulator is pretty good for speed. Some other apps will calculate wow and flutter, but those don't give similar, repeatable results. One issue with testing is the accuracy of any test record. You may end up measuring how well the test record is centered rather than the wow and flutter.

That said, WFGUI app is free and works with standard test records. I have a two test records and can set speed based on a test tone. As mentioned, Turntabulator is very accurate. Get a sponge or something you can center, poke a hole in, then center you phone as best you can over the spindle. Certain platter/bearing designs are more susceptible to off-center weight.

I use WFGUI for final adjustments.

GregC

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2023, 01:49 am »
I ordered a belt from Origin in the UK.
After measuring the size I needed for my Well Tempered Reference.
On the website they will tell you how to measure.
It was a really heave duty belt.

https://www.originlive.com/shop/high-performance-flat-belts.html

I replaced an OL belt when an old belt stretched and wore out.  I also found that an upgraded motor and transformer really helped the overall performance (speed stability and sound) on my OL Sovereign deck. 

It helps to clean the bearing and spindle and re-oil periodically. 

I use a KAB Speedstrobe to set my speed.  I set the speed while playing an actual record so the speed is calibrated with resistance of a record playing. 

sHERO

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2023, 10:02 am »
GregC.

Wold you mind sharing which upgraded motor and transformer you use?

hanks

sHERO

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2023, 07:56 pm »
I am very happy that upon fixing the turntable top so that the platter sits completly horizontal, the table is runing at the correct speed and stable.   

GregC

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2023, 01:02 am »
GregC.

Wold you mind sharing which upgraded motor and transformer you use?

hanks

Sorry for the late response.  I got the best controller, DC motor, and external power transformer available from Origin Live at the time.  I have upgraded components a few times, having tried the D-100 and D-200 motors prior to the D-300 motor I have now.  I have also upgraded to the latest Ultra controllers a couple times.  I upgraded to the best transformer a few years ago but think they have made further improvements since them. 

Current motor and speed controller components:

Origin Live - Ultra Speed Control Box
Origin Live -  D-300 motor
Origin Live - Latest upgraded balanced transformer from a few years ago.

sHERO

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2023, 02:37 am »
I am currently using the factory Hurst motor with a Zeus controller that has optical feedback pid.

Works really well now that I leveled the player, butv the factory motor is hard to control due to its specs.

At some point I intend to construct a new turntable base and use Sota Engineering 3 phase dc motor with their Eclipse controller. Its the best right now.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2023, 10:03 am by sHERO »