FryKleanerPro mods

eweitzman

FryKleanerPro mods
« on: 22 Sep 2004, 03:47 am »
Many moons ago, I built the FryKleaner and iRIAA boards. Then along came the FryKleaner Pro. Jim sold me the kit without the PCBs. I just finished assembling the pro.

I made a few mods.

Burn more than one pair of interconnects at a time

I added 12 RCA jacks to one side of the case. They're connected in pairs. Each pair is connected hot-to-hot and shield-to-shield. These allow four pairs of interconnects to be daisy-chained in series. This doesn't require any additional drive from the FryKleaner.

Burn more than one pair of speaker cables at a time (ie, a bi-wired or bi-amped set)

I added four speaker posts to the other side of the case. These allow an extra pair of speaker cables (ie, four wires) to be added in series to another speaker cable.

Allow external signals to run through the iRIAA

Two sets of input jacks were added to the back, each pair wired to the 50 ohm or 600 ohm inputs on the iRIAA board. Actually, the 50 ohm is wired strait, while a switch connects either the 600 ohm inputs or the output of the FryKleaner to the iRIAA inputs.

So?

Jim wondered why I would want to fry so many cables. I was thinking that it would be nice to periodically fry all my cables to see if there's any residual phenomena that build up over time. So I fried all my interconnects again. No difference.

Another reason, though, is to allow friends to use it. Instead of taking a couple of weeks to fry interconnects and cables, they can do all the cables in a few days.

Oh yeah, I had a hard time unsoldering the power jack and the LED from the FryKleaner. Ruined the power trace around the jack's hole, had to connect the DC to another point. I couldn't get the DIP switch out either, so I wired the rotary switch to the underside of the board where the DIP's pins come through.

- Eric

ABEX

FryKleanerPro mods
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2004, 08:19 am »
I have broke in 1000ft. spools on it and it worked just fine. I usually burn in 2-3 IC's or *ft. speaker runs at one time with not problems.Get inexpensive tool to use.

eweitzman

FryKleanerPro mods
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: ABEX
I have broke in 1000ft. spools on it and it worked just fine. I usually burn in 2-3 IC's or *ft. speaker runs at one time with not problems.Get inexpensive tool to use.

Sure. I considered using a bunch of these >> << or these >>    << but they're more expensive, less convenient, and a lot less cool  :roll:

- Eric

Rob Thomas

Very impressive.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2004, 11:15 pm »
It looks like the FryKleaner was photographed on top of a Balrog.

eweitzman

FryKleanerPro mods
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:32 am »
Quote from: ABEX
I have broke in 1000ft. spools on it and it worked just fine.

I've been wondering, how much of the FryKleaner's HF signal makes it through these rather large inductors?

Quote from: Rob Thomas

Verily, Young Thomasrob!

- Eric

Rob Thomas

FryKleanerPro mods
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:51 am »
Quote from: eweitzman
I've been wondering, how much of the FryKleaner's HF signal makes it through these rather large inductors?

Should be a simple task to tell with a shareware or any RTAS, no :?:

Quote from: Rob Thomas

Quote from: eweitzman
Verily, Young Thomasrob!

Yea, Eric.  Thine Balrog, whence shall it raise its silvered arm and strike forth to prove its valor :?: