Bolder modded Touch @ Newport

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Bolder modded Touch @ Newport
« on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:42 am »
In the Daedalus ModWright room we used a Bolder Modded Touch at the Newport show last week and as always I was sooo glad I had it there !!!
we had two different laptop sources. one was a USB connection to the DAC while the other used a Bolder modded SB Touch & power supply. this just confirmed my preference for S/PDIF and the SB Touch.  we had an assortment of high end USB cables so that there was a fair shot and the media program for the USB PC  was the current popular one, we weren't running I-tunes or anything like that :).
the Touch  clearly was more open, musical and detailed, for me this was a no-brainer.
I know this is a subjective area and I'm sure there are USB systems that can get a higher level of performance, well maybe  :icon_lol:, I don't want to start a mine is better than yours argument here. 
for me the bottom line is that with the SB Touch ( modded of course) you get top shelf performance with an ease and simplicity that just makes sense. for one thing you don't need a dedicated computer of pretty high performance to run the USB connection, also the computer doesn't need to be anywhere near the system or even in the same room.  I could go on but having used these systems for several years I think that the value and performance is totally top shelf! 
lastly a plug for Bolder...  Wayne's mod's and especially his power supplies REALLY make a huge difference, and these systems are the only ones I will consider for serious listening.  I do have a stock unit for background sound and these are NOT to be used for any comparison of the actual capabilities of this type of system.

thanks,
lou

ps we ran these into Dan's new DAC module and ModWright has a real winner there!!!

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Bolder modded Touch @ Newport
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2012, 03:10 am »
Sounds like  a match made in heaven Lou!  My Wayne (Bolder) modded Touch is the single smartest purchase I have ever made in my 35 year audio career! I enjoy it daily! It is so good it got me off the audio merry go round and is my de facto reference piece that made me finally just enjoy the music! I listened to your speakers at Waynes home and trust me both your products offer value and excellence at the highest level.
Tom

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2012, 04:25 am »
Lou
Have to agree, especially sense the Touch can now do up to 24/192.

Hope to hear your speakers one day.
Mark

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:22 pm »
When it was time to move forward from being a Modwright Transporter owner for many years --as well as using SqueezeBox units around the house since its inception almost a decade ago-- It was time to call on Wayne for a Touch and close to maxed out power supply.
 After acquiring a new DAC I did take the time to do some research on other offerings for streaming audio and came to the conclusion that this was still the best way to go. Low on glitches and/or software issues with the SqueezeServer and its ease of use, accompanied with its Boulder made audio performance make this choice a no brainer over other offerings.

Jason