Using Kindle Fire tablet to control SqueezeBox

Wayne1

Using Kindle Fire tablet to control SqueezeBox
« on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:35 pm »
My daughter gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. This is my first experience using a tablet. I enjoy the e-reader aspect of it. Watching videos on it is great. My biggest hope was to be able to use it to control my music library on my various SqueezeBox units.

My first thought was to sideload Squeeze Commander from my laptop. I do not currently have the correct USB cable to interface with the Kindle Fire. I then read about an even easier way.

slideme.org is a marketplace similar to Android and Amazon. They have a free app that can be downloaded onto your Kindle Fire called SAM. from that app you can then search and download various apps. Squeeze Commander is located under Music. It costs $4.99 and in my opinion is worth every penny. After arranging payment, the app is downloaded directly to the Kindle Fire. When you first access the app, it looks for your network, squeeze boxes and Logitech Media Server. You have no need to input anything at this time. If you want to get into your MySqueezeBox.com account, you do have to enter your e-mail and password. Then you can control everything through the Kindle Fire.

I have used many devices and programs to try to control my Squeezeboxes. Squeeze Commander and the Kindle Fire is by far the easiest, fastest and most convenient way I have yet to find. At 7" the Kindle Fire is the perfect size to hold and operate. All the titles of albums and songs are easy to read. It can be a bit of a strain to see the type on my Android phone.

If you have a SqueezeBox, I highly suggest you get a Kindle Fire and install Squeeze Commander. It will greatly enhance you enjoyment of your music.

Sonny

Re: Using Kindle Fire tablet to control SqueezeBox
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »
Wayne, thanks for the heads up...I got the Fire for my wife for X-Mas and this sounds like a good idea.
So, this is basically the "navigation" part only, allowing me to navigate the SB Touch from the Fire instead of the SB touchscreen or remote, right?  It does not do anything else to the SB Server, which is on my iMac, correct?

Tuan

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
Tuan,

Yes, it is an interface to the Logitech Media Server program. It gives a few new options, such as the ability to see multiple SqueezeBoxes on one screen. You can set volume levels, if you wish on each one.

The larger screen is certainly a big help to these old eyes. It is far easier to see exactly what you have in your library by swiping a screen rather than twirling a dial on the DUET remote.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:23 pm »
How about a screen shot of the SB app so I can see how large or small the controls are? I ditched that thing cuz the buttons were too hard to hit on that screen.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:54 pm »
The Kindle Fire does not natively support screen captures. I'll try to just take a photo of it later. I am fairly small but there is plenty of screen real estate with the Fire and Squeeze Commander. It was originally written for use with the 3.9" android smart phones. 7" gives a LOT of room.

mca

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:07 pm »
I bought my wife a Fire for Christmas. Now it looks like I am going to have to get one for myself  :D

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:08 pm »
Squeeze Commander is a great interface, using it on my Droid.  Looks like I'll pick up a Fire!
Thanks Wayne

Need to call you about the update to my power supply here soon.
Mark

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:35 pm »
I run the Free Android app from Logitech and its also an excellent way to totally lounge out...welcome to my world Wayne!!!!  LOL :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:40 pm »
The Squeeze Commander app. is better. :D More than $5 better. :thumb:

Martyn

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:56 pm »
Terrific thread...and just what I needed to make the Kindle buying-decision. Thanks, Wayne!

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:14 pm »
Ed,

Rajacat is right.

Spend the $5.00 on Squeeze Commander. I have the free Logitech app on my phone and really don't care for it. It is easier to use the DUET remote than that software. Squeeze Commander blows it away. Using it on the 7" Kindle Fire screen is even better.

I have been trying different devices and software since SB 2 days. I started with a Dell X50 PDA. Went to a Nokia 800. Stayed with the DUET remote for quite some time. The Kindle Fire with Squeeze Commander is THE way to go, IMHO, if you don't want to spend the money for an iPad using iPeng.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:18 pm »
I will give it a try....Thanks, you guys are pretty convincing...LOL...awesome stuff :thumb: :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:43 pm »
Cool, I wonder if there is also a "universal remote" app for controlling Panny TV, Onkyo receiver, Oppo BRP & Verizon FIOS box.  If so, I may be able to talk the wife into a Kindle Fire purchase.  She's always complaining about our universal remote, even with the macro's programmed in.

NB

chip

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2012, 12:00 am »
I like the fact that with this new app -Squeeze Commander you can download music to your device it looks like!!!

abernardi

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:34 am »
   I've been on the lookout for a cheap 7" android tablet for the last two months just for this purpose.  I have Squeeze Commander on my phone but like you Wayne, too small!  I did pick up a Nook Simple Touch over the holiday for e-reading.  I was considering a tablet, but the displays hurt my eyes, the e-ink is better.  Then I found out you can root the Nook Simple Touch, and theoretically run some android apps on it.  But the way the screen refreshes would probably make it unusable.  And I also got cold feet when I was reading how many people were bricking their Nooks!
  Anyone know of a good cheap 7" tablet for this application?

firedog

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:44 am »
At the SB forum a similar thread says you can use the slideme site/app to download and install the app to the Kindle Fire, and that it works fine.

firedog

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm »
Tuan,

Yes, it is an interface to the Logitech Media Server program. It gives a few new options, such as the ability to see multiple SqueezeBoxes on one screen. You can set volume levels, if you wish on each one.

The larger screen is certainly a big help to these old eyes. It is far easier to see exactly what you have in your library by swiping a screen rather than twirling a dial on the DUET remote.

Wayne, is the screen big enough to be seen/read from a listening position? Say 10ft away?  For instance can it display a mode with cover art, album title, and song title? Can you read it from such a distance? I'm asking b/c I have a SB Touch and that's the one thing I don't like about it.

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2012, 07:20 pm »
Here are some pictures of my Kindle Fire running Squeeze Commander.

I left the pen in there to give an idea of the size of the picture and the controls.

Firedog, I feel that having the Kindle Fire across the room sort of defeats it's purpose. For me it makes it easy to see and control the Touch from my couch. I keep it next to me.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm »
Well I picked up a Kindle Fire, nice hand sized tablet with a lot of flexibility.

Loaded up Squeeze Commander and I'm very impressed with the clarity and size of the interface compared to same on my Droid.  It's a keeper.

Great find Wayne!

Mark