IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

audioguy213

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #360 on: 18 Jul 2016, 10:47 pm »
There is a little dongle, and then it is input E4, I think, from the manual.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #361 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:12 pm »
Audio guy is correct.

The Bluetooth feature has come in handy so many times that I know I will miss my IDA-8 should I ever decide to sell it. I wish I could remove the 100w amp "module" and replace it with the ST-10's or K-38's amp "module". Wouldn't that be cool?

ElemenoZ,

Have you decided to buy an IDA-8 yet, or still researching?

Michael

ElenemOz

« Reply #362 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:31 pm »
Thanks. I do see that is how to connect the dongle to the amp. My question is how to pair it with a phone or other Bluetooth source. Usually you hold a power button (or something like that) to put the device into pairing mode to make it discoverable by the other device (they don't constantly broadcast that they're available).

There is a little dongle, and then it is input E4, I think, from the manual.

srb

« Reply #363 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:36 pm »
It there's no pairing button on the dongle (is the inset logo a button?), then perhaps it automatically goes into pairing mode for 30 seconds or so when it is powered on?

Steve

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #364 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:55 pm »
The left-hand dial is the selector switch. Turn it to the E source. Go to your phone, pad, or computer and activate its Bluetooth. Select BTR XXX (or whatever it is). After your device pairs to the IDA-8, you can play music.

The IDA-8 comes with two remotes which may be used to select the "E" function.

Do you have the amp?
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2016, 05:43 am by mresseguie »

OBF

« Reply #365 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:23 am »
I SO wish the IDA-8 could be configured with a digital crossover built in.  It would be perfect for my bedroom system, but I have some very small monitors that are easily damaged if overdriven.  I could live with full range for music, but they would probably get destroyed when watching movies.  I assume the only way a person could use the IDA-8 with a sub would be to run the speaker-level outputs to an external crossover (and deal with the likely loss of fidelity) or run your mains full range and use the line-level to "blend" in a sub for the bottom octave?

ElenemOz

« Reply #366 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:29 am »
Ah yes, that did the trick. It must be discoverable for a time after switching to that input. Was able to pair and send audio from my phone.

Yes @mresseguie I have it. Won't likely use bluetooth very often, though, as I just put together a Raspberry Pi with RuneAudio to manage all my digital audio into the system. It works beautifully.

Bluetooth is nice to have all the same. Thanks for your help everyone.

John Casler

« Reply #367 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:38 am »
Ah yes, that did the trick. It must be discoverable for a time after switching to that input.

Actually, it should show up on any of your Blue tooth sending devices anytime the dongle is plugged into the IDA-8, and the IDA-8 is powered up.

Obviously, you will not be able to hear the device until you select the correct input and pair (your device should tell you that it is connected) with the IDA-8.

Also make sure your device's volume control is turned most, or all of the way up, and control the overall volume with the IDA-8 for the best quality.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #368 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:30 am »
I SO wish the IDA-8 could be configured with a digital crossover built in.  It would be perfect for my bedroom system, but I have some very small monitors that are easily damaged if overdriven.  I could live with full range for music, but they would probably get destroyed when watching movies.  I assume the only way a person could use the IDA-8 with a sub would be to run the speaker-level outputs to an external crossover (and deal with the likely loss of fidelity) or run your mains full range and use the line-level to "blend" in a sub for the bottom octave?

If you're using a computer as source, you could simply use the EQ to shelf down the bass and not worry about overdriving your speakers.

If blending in a separate sub, most likely it will be powered and will have an adjustable low-pass on it anyways.

OBF

« Reply #369 on: 19 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm »
If you're using a computer as source, you could simply use the EQ to shelf down the bass and not worry about overdriving your speakers.

If blending in a separate sub, most likely it will be powered and will have an adjustable low-pass on it anyways.

Good suggestion as I was not considering EQ to shelf down the lowest frequencies.  Yes, I am using a computer as a source for music.  Currently LMS, but medium term I plan to look into changing that out for ROON.  Movie-based audio, however, is coming from either Netflix or physical disc.  I imagine I can set speakers to "large" in the player but this probably only affects the analog outputs and not the digital.  Since I care about quality on music and convenience on tv/movies (will be better than my tv speakers under any scenario) I suppose worst case I can use the analog outs and deal with the IDA-8 re-digitizing.  I don't want to hijack this thread and will do some more research so thanks for the EQ idea.

Armaegis

« Reply #370 on: 19 Jul 2016, 10:48 pm »
You could also slap a capacitor in series with your speaker to act as a simple high-pass filter.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #371 on: 19 Aug 2016, 05:49 am »
Hey guys,

I have decided I'm going to pull the trigger on an IDA-8. The only thing to decide now is weather to pick up a used unit, or a brand new one.

The reason for my post is that I've found a used unit for a good price, but it's an earlier IDA-8 with the 6V RCA outputs. I don't plan on using the RCA outs right away, but I don't want to run into a situation down the road where I find myself wishing for the lower voltage.

I will be running my REL T-Zero sub off of the IDA-8, but my cable runs off the speaker outputs, and not a traditional sub out.

One reason I am concerned is cause I can see a situation where I'd want to pick up another NuPrime power amp and use it for horizontal bi-amping. In that case, what output voltage would be preferred?

Thanks for humoring me. I'm looking forward to joining the NuPrime family.

- Woody

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #372 on: 19 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm »
Yeah, you want the 2V output for another amp.  Not sure you want to just add an amp to the IDA-8, some sort of level matching would be needed.  However I seem to remember something about retrofitting the 6V to 2V output.  Can't really remember anything exactly, whether you could add a resister or something or it has to be sent to the factory, but enough to call a dealer like John Casler and ask. 

Armaegis

« Reply #373 on: 20 Aug 2016, 02:54 am »
There's also stuff like this that you can use: http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-12-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-244
which are basically just resistor dividers to bring the level down.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #375 on: 20 Aug 2016, 04:48 am »
Yeah, you want the 2V output for another amp.  Not sure you want to just add an amp to the IDA-8, some sort of level matching would be needed.  However I seem to remember something about retrofitting the 6V to 2V output.  Can't really remember anything exactly, whether you could add a resister or something or it has to be sent to the factory, but enough to call a dealer like John Casler and ask.

That's basically what I suspected, and hence the reason they implemented the change. I've already been in contact with John and he's taking good care of me.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking forward to trying the IDA-8 in my system.

- Woody

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #376 on: 20 Aug 2016, 08:46 am »
Glad you got it sorted out, enjoy.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #377 on: 20 Aug 2016, 02:02 pm »
Cannot say enough about the IDA-8. It has become my go-to recommendation for newbies, specifically millennials who are digital.  Matching the IDA-8 with a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers (I wrote about this in another thread) is truly inviting/economical solution, which for some could be all they ever need. Add a decent USB cable and pair of speaker cables (I suggested Audioquest Forest USB and Audioquest Type 2 terminated speaker cables). All this for under $1500. Source can be their computer and/or mobile phone.

To think that the whole lot can be packed up in a piece of carry-on luggage one can take on a plane. Add to this that the voltage is selectable and it can be taken almost anywhere. :)

Summit Hi-Fi

« Reply #378 on: 20 Aug 2016, 04:50 pm »
Cannot say enough about the IDA-8. It has become my go-to recommendation for newbies, specifically millennials who are digital.  Matching the IDA-8 with a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers (I wrote about this in another thread) is truly inviting/economical solution, which for some could be all they ever need. Add a decent USB cable and pair of speaker cables (I suggested Audioquest Forest USB and Audioquest Type 2 terminated speaker cables). All this for under $1500. Source can be their computer and/or mobile phone.

To think that the whole lot can be packed up in a piece of carry-on luggage one can take on a plane. Add to this that the voltage is selectable and it can be taken almost anywhere. :)

What's more, upgrade the speakers to ELACs own UB5s and you really do have a system that would've been worth five figures a decade ago.

bh46118

« Reply #379 on: 21 Aug 2016, 06:27 am »
I'm listening to Aerosmith-Get Your Wings on my IDA-16, UB5 system, as I type this comment.