IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #320 on: 9 Mar 2016, 11:26 pm »
This IDA-8 should work well with a set of Nimbus whites, with a 93db efficiency?

rustydoglim

« Reply #321 on: 10 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm »
set amp versus IDA-8 - tube amp has two things that people like 1) harmonics that give the tube sound; 2) analog sound
#2 as I have pointed out is no longer an issue with new generation of NuPrime amp (even back in 2005 the NuForce amp already sounded very smooth unlike any class-d amp).
#1 is more about personal taste. We can now produce tube amp sound. 
Our class D amp has speed, dynamic, power, resolution that is superior to tube amp.
STA-9 would be like a tube amp without its disadvantages. If you compare STA-9 with a tube amp, you will very likely choose STA-9.
IDA-8 is sort of in between, smooth, warmth, but we didn't go that far with the harmonics like STA-9.

downunder55

« Reply #322 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:57 pm »
Oh the anguish of making a decision without listening to the options  :?

With no dealers in Australia, although a very helpful one in NZ ......but unfortunately it is still not the same as actually listening to the gear.

I have a pair of KEF LS50's on my desktop and I am torn between an IDA-8 or a DAC-9 + STA-9 combo.

Source files are FLAC, pop, rock, blues and female vocal. Being on a desktop listening volumes will only occasionally be room filling, but never just background.

Really don't want too much gear sitting on the desk which makes the IDA-8 an obvious candidate, but a higher priority is I don't want to miss out on any clarity, detail and musicality,..... just love some of the subtlety you can get in instruments and a lovely voice like Eva Cassidy.

What are the tangible differences that would set the DAC-9 + STA-9 combo apart from the IDA-8 that would help me decide ?

rustydoglim

« Reply #323 on: 31 Mar 2016, 04:06 pm »
Go with IDA-8

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #324 on: 31 Mar 2016, 07:03 pm »
I have experience with both but haven't paired them specifically. The LS50 is a fantastic speaker, but as a bookshelf is still limited in the bottom end. In that regard I would consider the warmer tonality of the IDA-8 to be a better match to help round out the bass.

downunder55

« Reply #325 on: 31 Mar 2016, 09:14 pm »
I have experience with both but haven't paired them specifically. The LS50 is a fantastic speaker, but as a bookshelf is still limited in the bottom end. In that regard I would consider the warmer tonality of the IDA-8 to be a better match to help round out the bass.

Agree, I think the LS50's could benefit from a little warmth, but I thought the STA-9 was warmer than the IDA-8 based on the Nuprime comparison amp table http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/reviews/amp-comparison.html ?

downunder55

« Reply #326 on: 31 Mar 2016, 09:29 pm »
Go with IDA-8

Rustydoglim, would really appreciate your reasoning please for the IDA-8 ?

Another opinion I have received is that DAC-9 & STA-9 combo steps up to another level of clarity and detail.

The DAC-9 & STA-9 combo needs a little more real estate on the desktop and a few more $'s, but would I be missing out on anything sonically with the IDA-8 ?

srb

« Reply #327 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:18 pm »
The DAC-9 & STA-9 combo needs a little more real estate on the desktop and a few more $'s, but would I be missing out on anything sonically with the IDA-8 ?

I'm pretty sure they can be stacked no problem - the DAC-9 and STA-9 have the exact same footprint as the IDA-8 (235 mm W x 281 mm D) - so it's really just down to $ and sound.

Steve
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2016, 06:27 am by srb »

John Casler

« Reply #328 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:34 pm »
As a RULE; When in doubt GO BIG. . .  :lol:

But I think RDL's reasoning is, that as a desktop system, you will be rather NEARFIELD, which will reduce your need for power, AND increase your ability to hear the High End Transparency before it loses energy via dispersion.

So, while the DAC-9 and STA-9 "DO" go up a level, your listening position/proximity will not allow you to use the extra.

That said, if you may "in the future" use the system with a greater distance to the speakers, then by all means GO BIG :thumb:

downunder55

« Reply #329 on: 5 Apr 2016, 06:19 am »
As a RULE; When in doubt GO BIG. . .  :lol:

But I think RDL's reasoning is, that as a desktop system, you will be rather NEARFIELD, which will reduce your need for power, AND increase your ability to hear the High End Transparency before it loses energy via dispersion.

So, while the DAC-9 and STA-9 "DO" go up a level, your listening position/proximity will not allow you to use the extra.

That said, if you may "in the future" use the system with a greater distance to the speakers, then by all means GO BIG :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts John ..... so size does matter  :)

rustydoglim

« Reply #330 on: 6 Apr 2016, 08:51 pm »
Either the IDA-8 or STA-9+DAC-9 combo will do well, but as John suggested, if you want the flexibility, then go with the combo. You are going to enjoy the components for years and the difference in price is only a few nice dinners (that turn to shit the next day by the way). So this is definitely money well spent  :thumb:

downunder55

« Reply #331 on: 6 Apr 2016, 09:13 pm »
Either the IDA-8 or STA-9+DAC-9 combo will do well, but as John suggested, if you want the flexibility, then go with the combo. You are going to enjoy the components for years and the difference in price is only a few nice dinners (that turn to shit the next day by the way). So this is definitely money well spent  :thumb:

Thanks Rustydoglim, the extra cost is not really the worry, it is the presence on the desktop.

I am sure either combination would do well, it was trying to get a view (other than longer term flexibility) of what would be the sound profile differences in the two options, such as would the DAC-9 give improved detail over the IDA-8 ?

In the amp comparison table it suggested the STA-9 had a warmer sound profile than the IDA-8, is it significant ? - with the KEF LS50 this could be ok.

mervinpearce

« Reply #332 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:15 am »
In the amp comparison table it suggested the STA-9 had a warmer sound profile than the IDA-8, is it significant ? - with the KEF LS50 this could be ok.
With the LS50 I think it would be recommended.

oldzorki

« Reply #333 on: 20 Apr 2016, 02:09 pm »
Got my IDA-8 and plugged it yesterday.
Now with Gershman Acoustics Avantgarde speakers and feeding from PC from JRiver via USB.
Room is not realy 100% yet, and IDA-8 is not yet broken in - but nevertheless here my first impessions.
Sound of this little bugger is awesome.
Before IDA-8 those speakers where fed with Krell 400xi and OPPO BDP-105 as a source (via DLNA).
What can I say. Some people say that all solid state gear sounds the same. If they are not convinced listening to IDA-8 that they are wrong - they are deaf.
It sounds nothing like previous combo. The only thing similar I heard at home before was conrad-johnson preamp and amp combo (I lost it to flooding 10 years ago), which was probaby 5 times more $$ then. It is hard to compare to something you heard so long time ago, but that was the first thing came to my mind when I turned volume up.

Will report in a week with a bit more detailed report, but so far I am extremely happy.

John Casler

« Reply #334 on: 20 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm »
The only thing similar I heard at home before was conrad-johnson preamp and amp combo (I lost it to flooding 10 years ago), which was probaby 5 times more $$ then. It is hard to compare to something you heard so long time ago, but that was the first thing came to my mind when I turned volume up.

Will report in a week with a bit more detailed report, but so far I am extremely happy.

Anytime you get "compared" to the venerable Conrad-Johnson gear, you must be doing something right.

Thanks for your words, and of course happy to see you enjoying the IDA-8.

oldzorki

« Reply #335 on: 7 May 2016, 08:48 pm »
I am still enjoying IDA-8 -and I think "breaing period" is very smooth, sound quality still superb, did not change signature too much, may be just a tiny bit more clarity added.
Very happy.

Found interesting "bug" (or may be it is just my unit). If you set unit to "mute", it start blinking (as it should). Then turned it off, and when turned ON, it still stays on mute, but without "blinking" indication. Pressing mute again does not help. Swithcing sources back and forth "restarts" the sound.
Not a big deal, obviously, but something that probably needs to be fixed.
NOTE: I am using only USB input at the moment.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #336 on: 7 May 2016, 10:02 pm »
Hi, Zorki.

My wife and I are car traveling this year and I brought my IDA-8 with us. I have been using the Bluetooth input with either music in my iPhone or Tidal streaming. It is so convenient!

oldzorki

« Reply #337 on: 7 May 2016, 11:40 pm »
Hi, Zorki.

My wife and I are car traveling this year and I brought my IDA-8 with us. I have been using the Bluetooth input with either music in my iPhone or Tidal streaming. It is so convenient!
Well, I stream Tidal from my dedicated PC to IDA-8.
I like the sound quality in comparision to Spotify (garbage).
But mostly I stream hi-rez music.
And where it really shines - it is DSD.
Awesome. All my SACD-R rips ->DSF came alive.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #338 on: 8 May 2016, 10:55 am »
A few things to consider:

* The uncluttered desktop whether it be audio/computer/work related is the ideal. That being said the fewer pieces the better, if they are to reside ON the desktop.

* The IDA-8 and IDA-16 from NuPrime very much fit the bill for the new generation of hifi enthusiasts who use their computers as their primary front-end/source for music. Consolidation is key. The inclusion of  a DAC capable of handling hi-res/DSD files minimizes the number of components in the solution. Far less wires/cables.

All this talk of the IDA-8 is making me think i have gear to sell off and pick one up :)

mervinpearce

« Reply #339 on: 8 May 2016, 03:04 pm »
All this talk of the IDA-8 is making me think i have gear to sell off and pick one up :)
A very good choice.  I have moved along and bought the IDA-8 and IDA-16.  Will not sell them soon.