• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #280 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:59 pm »
I'm guessing because the analog input is digitized

No, I don't think it is.

John Casler

« Reply #281 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:00 pm »
That is exactly correct.  That is why I am asking about the analog inputs on the IDA-8. So whuy is it a bad idea to use the analog inputs on the IDA-8? I mainly will be playing CD's and streaming Spotify but also would like to play my small collection of SACD's and DVD-AUDIO discs. What is the best way to do this?

Hi Jeff,

Just saw this discussion.

As we discussed on the phone, getting an OPPO 103d, which converts SACD to PCM, might be a reasonable and potential solution.

srb

« Reply #282 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:06 pm »
No, I don't think it is [IDA-8 analog input digitized].

It says exactly that on the Nuprime IDA-8 page under Specifications:
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/integrated-amps/ida-8.html

"1 x Analog Stereo RCA (analog input will be digitized)"

Steve

rustydoglim

« Reply #283 on: 23 Feb 2016, 08:25 pm »
IDA-8 is the only product at this point where the analog input is digitised. There is just no space and no extra cost to do that. But the A2D is very good. So unless your analog input came from very good source, you might not notice the A2D conversion (i.e. you can't tell the difference)

DAC-9, DAC-10, IDA-16 all have analog input all the way without A2D conversation.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #284 on: 23 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Just saw this discussion.

As we discussed on the phone, getting an OPPO 103d, which converts SACD to PCM, might be a reasonable and potential solution.

Hi John. Thanks for chiming in. For sure. But for the time being, I am trying to figure out the best way to play my SACD's from my curent Denon player.

And by the way, Bob over at NuPrime says hi.  :D

albireo13

« Reply #285 on: 28 Feb 2016, 09:54 pm »
I picked up a IDA8 and it is doing quite well ...  awesome in fact!
I have a SONOS Connect connected with TosLink cable to the IDA8 and am streaming FLAC music files.
Sweer!

mervinpearce

« Reply #286 on: 29 Feb 2016, 04:24 am »
I picked up a IDA8 and it is doing quite well ...  awesome in fact!
I have a SONOS Connect connected with TosLink cable to the IDA8 and am streaming FLAC music files.
Sweer!
Best value (Bang for buck) in the NuPrime range.

ChuckT

« Reply #287 on: 1 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm »
IDA-8 is the only product at this point where the analog input is digitised. There is just no space and no extra cost to do that. But the A2D is very good. So unless your analog input came from very good source, you might not notice the A2D conversion (i.e. you can't tell the difference)

DAC-9, DAC-10, IDA-16 all have analog input all the way without A2D conversation.

Wow, thanks for the info. I now understand why the IDA-8 uses the 5V digital supply for the RCA input opamp NE5532 and not the +/- 12V from the dac i/v (LM4562) +buffer (NX5532) section. It is to completely separate the digital input and the analogue output to the amp section. Your info also solves the mystery of where the heck did the signal went after the opamp output, I spent a lot of time tracing it to no avail. (Sorry, its just the diy blood in me)
I am thinking of  adding another Nuprime but the ST10/Dac10 is just too deep and I don't have enough space. Is the STA9/Dac9 a good step up from the IDA8? I am a bit hesitant for the Dac 9 since it uses the AK4490. The AK4495 is a step up and I have got a dual AK4495 dac coming. If Nuprime uses the latest AK4497, I will be definitely getting that.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #288 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:04 pm »
Wow, thanks for the info. I now understand why the IDA-8 uses the 5V digital supply for the RCA input opamp NE5532 and not the +/- 12V from the dac i/v (LM4562) +buffer (NX5532) section. It is to completely separate the digital input and the analogue output to the amp section. Your info also solves the mystery of where the heck did the signal went after the opamp output, I spent a lot of time tracing it to no avail. (Sorry, its just the diy blood in me)
I am thinking of  adding another Nuprime but the ST10/Dac10 is just too deep and I don't have enough space. Is the STA9/Dac9 a good step up from the IDA8? I am a bit hesitant for the Dac 9 since it uses the AK4490. The AK4495 is a step up and I have got a dual AK4495 dac coming. If Nuprime uses the latest AK4497, I will be definitely getting that.

What dac is in the IDA-8?

John Casler

ChuckT

« Reply #290 on: 2 Mar 2016, 04:42 am »
What dac is in the IDA-8?

It uses the Sabre ES9010 (DNR 116dB, THD 106dB). The next dac up is ES9016 and the top is ES9018. I guess ES9010 is use due to IDA-8 price level, but it does sound pretty good.
Newer reference Sabre dac has been announced call ES9038pro. I looked forward to seeing that inside a Nuprime.

oldzorki

« Reply #291 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:46 pm »
IDA-8 is definetely on my radar. After purchasing other brand amplifier for separate system I no more have any reservations regarding class D amps.
My only concern is power. Now my Gershman AvantGarde speakers are powered by Krell 400xi (200w/ch, 350 into 4 ohms). Wonder how much I would loose with just 100 watts (but speakers moving to a room half the size).
I have no concern re: low end DAC chip model, there so much more going into integrated amp it is a no-issue.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #292 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:00 pm »
Power figures are very deceptive. A doubling/halving of power is only 3dB difference, assuming you were even maxed out to begin with. In a home environment, most people don't use more than the first couple watts unless you were pushing some really inefficient boxes.

oldzorki

« Reply #293 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:15 pm »
Power figures are very deceptive. A doubling/halving of power is only 3dB difference, assuming you were even maxed out to begin with. In a home environment, most people don't use more than the first couple watts unless you were pushing some really inefficient boxes.
This is true. Wattage power also is deceptive anyway, as there are issue with current, etc. And amount of current delivery of an amp is a rarely publshed number.
To sum things up -just wonder if anyone tried to drive Gershmans with IDA-8 ))
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2016, 09:45 pm by oldzorki »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #294 on: 5 Mar 2016, 12:58 am »
Hello, oldzorki.

I think I can partially answer your question. I have never driven Gershmans with my IDA-8 (or any other amp), but my speakers are 83.5 dB sensitivity - though due to the series crossovers they are easier to drive than 'regular' low sensitivity speakers.

I've had a couple other amps drive these speakers, so I have a pretty good idea of how it compares (at least to the other amps anyway). I'd say that the IDA-8 does a decent job of powering my speakers if I am not trying to listen critically. To be fair, most of my music listening is non-critical because of my room, my habits, and my dear wife. It is only when I want to really listen, really pay attention to the recording that I realize the 100 watts isn't giving me all the speakers are asking for. Mind you, I'm not listening at unreasonably high levels either.

If I could re-engineer my IDA-8, I'd replace the 100w amp with the ST-10's amp [Would that make it an IDA-10?], or with a nice EL34 tube amp. Either mod would probably make me a pretty happy camper.

I really like my IDA-8 and I really enjoy its features. I have my Squeezebox Touch feeding it wifi from my Mac Mini, Bluetooth from either my iPad or iPhone, and my TV feed via optical. It's amazing how much this amp offers especially considering its very reasonable price.

If my speakers were 87 dB to 90+ dB, I would be enthusiastically telling you to rush out to buy an IDA-8 (because it's that good), and I wouldn't be telling you about its shortcomings.

Enjoy your search.

Michael

oldzorki

« Reply #295 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:17 am »
Hello, oldzorki.

I think I can partially answer your question. I have never driven Gershmans with my IDA-8 (or any other amp), but my speakers are 83.5 dB sensitivity - though due to the series crossovers they are easier to drive than 'regular' low sensitivity speakers.

I've had a couple other amps drive these speakers, so I have a pretty good idea of how it compares (at least to the other amps anyway). I'd say that the IDA-8 does a decent job of powering my speakers if I am not trying to listen critically. To be fair, most of my music listening is non-critical because of my room, my habits, and my dear wife. It is only when I want to really listen, really pay attention to the recording that I realize the 100 watts isn't giving me all the speakers are asking for. Mind you, I'm not listening at unreasonably high levels either.

If I could re-engineer my IDA-8, I'd replace the 100w amp with the ST-10's amp [Would that make it an IDA-10?], or with a nice EL34 tube amp. Either mod would probably make me a pretty happy camper.

I really like my IDA-8 and I really enjoy its features. I have my Squeezebox Touch feeding it wifi from my Mac Mini, Bluetooth from either my iPad or iPhone, and my TV feed via optical. It's amazing how much this amp offers especially considering its very reasonable price.

If my speakers were 87 dB to 90+ dB, I would be enthusiastically telling you to rush out to buy an IDA-8 (because it's that good), and I wouldn't be telling you about its shortcomings.

Enjoy your search.

Michael
Thank you Michael for a detailed response. Gershman have a dual reputation - some say they are easy to drive, some say that they sing only driven by 500 w/c behimoths. They are fairly sensitive (87-88) and do not deep below 6 ohms - but something in their crossover is not agreeable with certain amps, or so tells the legend.
What size of room you are listening your speakers in? I found room size and distance from the speaker as much important as anything else..

mresseguie

« Reply #296 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:01 am »
"What size of room you are listening your speakers in? I found room size and distance from the speaker as much important as anything else."

I just measured (it's been a while since I did this). The living room is 23' L x 12.5'W x 9'H. As you face the TV/speakers, the right-hand side of my 'box' is open to a dining room (add another 13'L x 8.5'W), so my listening space is actually quite wide. My speakers are set up on one of the long walls (more or less centered on the living room) on either side of our wall-mounted flat screen TV. They are on 22" four-post stands placed approximately 20" off the front wall, but I pull them out to 3' when I want better sound (and the WAF issue is out shopping).

The walls and ceiling are rebar reinforced cement. The floor is a floating wood floor (teak). There is a throw rug located between the TV and the sofa. There are practically no acoustic diffusors/absorbers on the walls. It is not an ideal room for well behaved sonics.

I have at times relocated the speakers to the left-hand short wall four feet from the new front wall. Ahh. The speakers/IDA-8 make musical heaven there. I'm sure there's a good reason why I don't keep them there (wanna meet her?).

oldzorki

« Reply #297 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:24 am »
"What size of room you are listening your speakers in? I found room size and distance from the speaker as much important as anything else."

I just measured (it's been a while since I did this). The living room is 23' L x 12.5'W x 9'H. As you face the TV/speakers, the right-hand side of my 'box' is open to a dining room (add another 13'L x 8.5'W), so my listening space is actually quite wide. My speakers are set up on one of the long walls (more or less centered on the living room) on either side of our wall-mounted flat screen TV. They are on 22" four-post stands placed approximately 20" off the front wall, but I pull them out to 3' when I want better sound (and the WAF issue is out shopping).

The walls and ceiling are rebar reinforced cement. The floor is a floating wood floor (teak). There is a throw rug located between the TV and the sofa. There are practically no acoustic diffusors/absorbers on the walls. It is not an ideal room for well behaved sonics.

I have at times relocated the speakers to the left-hand short wall four feet from the new front wall. Ahh. The speakers/IDA-8 make musical heaven there. I'm sure there's a good reason why I don't keep them there (wanna meet her?).
Thank you Michael for a measurements! I am well aware of WAF factor and limilations it brings (been married for 30 years :) ), however this setup is for my office, hence it does not apply fully (however make no mistake - good looking equipment goes a long way for a spousal approval regardless of placement). And IDA-8 is unquestinably a good looking piece!
If we add depth of your coach and distance from the wall to the speaker, your listening position now is approximately 9 feet from your ears to the speakers. Is that correct?
In my office setup speakers will be appromimately 7 feet from me.. But room itself is much smaller, prehaps 120-130 sf, not more. So i Hope that ID-8, combine wth more efficnent speakers, will suffice.

maty

« Reply #298 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:13 am »
SPL (Sound pressure level) calculator

-> http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm#calc_spl

Karajan, Berliner P - Tchaikovsky - Symphony No 6 (1972) (Vinyl) {24-96} [FLAC]

Code: [Select]
DR12      -1.60 dB   -20.21 dB     10:07 04-Finale (Adagio lamentoso - Andante)
KEF Q100 (86 dB, 4.7 Ohm minimum): 95 dB peak, centered 2m, sounding too strong.

Sound Meter

-> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound&hl=en

mresseguie

« Reply #299 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:34 am »
130sq ft? That will not be a problem. The IDA-8 will more than suffice. I suspect you'll love its capabilities and its ease of use.