IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

John Casler

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #180 on: 19 Sep 2015, 06:58 am »
Great.  Looking forward to ordering once it's available.

Yes,. it should be the perfect mate for that ST-10.

mv

« Reply #181 on: 20 Sep 2015, 03:46 am »
Yes,. it should be the perfect mate for that ST-10.

How about the DAC-10?

John Casler

« Reply #182 on: 20 Sep 2015, 03:51 am »
How about the DAC-10?

The OP, already has the ST-10 and is looking for a specific Price Point which already eliminated the DAC-10.

Of course if you don't have that same price point consideration, the DAC-10 is the ideal mate.

JackD

« Reply #183 on: 20 Sep 2015, 03:57 am »
If the DAC-8 is based on the DAC in the IDA-8, then the DAC-10 is a better match to the ST-10. I own both.

Ken57

« Reply #184 on: 2 Oct 2015, 09:12 pm »
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the IDA-8 to the Marantz integrated amp model pm7005. Thanks.

RWJR

« Reply #185 on: 3 Oct 2015, 02:07 am »
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the IDA-8 to the Marantz integrated amp model pm7005. Thanks.
Hi Ken,
Don't know if this will help you or not.  I have had the Marantz PM8004 for several years and my new IDA-8 has a more dynamic sound with better sound staging and depth.  Of course, the dac is still breaking in but the amp is quiet and it reveals poor recordings- it is not as forgiving as the Marantz.  Now the PM7005 might be different as it is a newer model, so your experience might differ if you audition both.  To me, the Nuprime is clearly better, so, I'll be putting the Marantz up for sale soon.

kevb

« Reply #186 on: 4 Oct 2015, 10:49 pm »
Hello,

Going to be picking one of these up later this month, but going through the documentation and the questions asked to date, I am not sure I saw the answer to this.  Could the line outputs be fixed or are they always variable?  I am going to assume that since they are meant for an external sub or a power amp that there isn't any way to facilitate them being a fixed output, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

John Casler

« Reply #187 on: 5 Oct 2015, 06:00 am »
The Analog Line Outs are variable.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #188 on: 5 Oct 2015, 06:15 am »
May I ask what the difference between fixed and variable analog output is? [Other than the obvious.] Why is it important to have one vs. the other?

Though I do own an IDA-8, I have not yet felt the need to add a subwoofer to my system.

Thanks for any answers, and for furthering my education.

P.S. to kevb: I'm using this amp to drive 83.5 dB two-way monitors and I love it.

Michael

srb

« Reply #189 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:50 am »
May I ask what the difference between fixed and variable analog output is? [Other than the obvious.] Why is it important to have one vs. the other?

The most common uses for variable outputs are a subwoofer(s) or an external power amplifier. 

Fixed outputs might be desirable to feed a device that has its own volume control, such as a dedicated headphone amplifier or a zone amplifier.

Steve

mresseguie

« Reply #190 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:56 am »
Steve,

Thank you. There's still so much to know about this hobby that I still bump into terms and discussions which I do not understand. Helpful answers such as yours are why I so like AC.  :thumb:

Michael

kevb

« Reply #191 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:32 am »
The most common uses for variable outputs are a subwoofer(s) or an external power amplifier. 

Fixed outputs might be desirable to feed a device that has its own volume control, such as a dedicated headphone amplifier or a zone amplifier.

Steve

This is exactly how I hoped I might be able to use it.  The fact that it doesn't have this ability is in no way a deal breaker - I am still buying one, but it would have been nice to be able to feed fixed analog outputs to a headphone amp for late night listening.  Almost using the IDA-8 like a pure DAC. 

kevb

« Reply #192 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:39 am »
The Analog Line Outs are variable.

Thanks John.  I am looking forward to purchasing this later this month and trying it in my system.  If I like what I hear, I will be having a massive selloff of gear.  I am looking to simplify. I have 5 DAC's, 3 preamps, 3 power amps, 2 integrated amps, and 7 sets of speakers (plus all cabling), all acquired while looking for the all important (and elusive) system synergy.  A one box solution with a small footprint that works and sounds good and is as future-proof as anything out there really appeals to me.

If this ticks all the boxes for me, I will be looking squarely at the IDA-16 or the DAC-10H/ST-10 combo as the basis of my main rig.....or the Ref 20's if I win a lottery.   :lol:

kevb

« Reply #193 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:47 am »

Though I do own an IDA-8, I have not yet felt the need to add a subwoofer to my system.

Thanks for any answers, and for furthering my education.

P.S. to kevb: I'm using this amp to drive 83.5 dB two-way monitors and I love it.

Michael

Thank you very much for your input, Micheal - that is reassuring to hear.  I have many speaker to choose from - right now I am anxious to hear it with my Newform Research Line Source Monitors or my Tannoy Ardens with the 15" coaxial HPD-385 drivers.  I was hoping to have the ability to use the RCA outputs to drive a headphone amp.  Variable RCA outputs are affected by the volume control on the amp, while fixed outputs are not - they put out the same signal regardless of the position of the volume control  Having fixed outputs would allow me to turn the speaker volume to zero while still outputting a full 2.0V signal to my headphone amp for late night listening.

Again, not that big of a deal, and certainly not a deal breaker.  I have 2 DAC/amp combinations, so I could run a second USB cable from my computer to the headphone amp/DAC and use my phone to select which device will receive the signal from my computer.   :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #194 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:09 pm »
Thanks John.  I am looking forward to purchasing this later this month and trying it in my system.  If I like what I hear, I will be having a massive selloff of gear.  I am looking to simplify. I have 5 DAC's, 3 preamps, 3 power amps, 2 integrated amps, and 7 sets of speakers (plus all cabling), all acquired while looking for the all important (and elusive) system synergy.  A one box solution with a small footprint that works and sounds good and is as future-proof as anything out there really appeals to me.

If this ticks all the boxes for me, I will be looking squarely at the IDA-16 or the DAC-10H/ST-10 combo as the basis of my main rig.....or the Ref 20's if I win a lottery.   :lol:

Kevb,

We're thinking along the same lines.  :thumb:

I've had the IDA-8 for just two weeks, yet I'm already thinking/wondering about how an IDA-16 or DAC-10H might fit into my developing system. The IDA-8 was purchased as a 'second  home' system that was easy on my wallet and is very mobile yet offers good sound. Well, I got a home run with this plus my LS/5-R monitors. I had worried about the low sensitivity, but it just is not a problem with this amp and my smallish room.

I've got a big amp, a tube preamp and an older DAC sitting in boxes at home, and I can't help but wonder if the IDA-16 would make a great replacement or if adding the DAC-10H (to replace my aging DAC and the tube preamp) would be enough. In a perfect world, I'd con....uh...er...persuade John to send me both units so that I might be able to make proper comparisons. Any comparisons are months off as I am on the left side of the Pacific until March anyway.

I suspect you'll like the IDA-8, but that it will make you wonder what its big brothers/sisters are capable of.

Enjoy your journey!

Michael

kevb

« Reply #195 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:50 pm »
Kevb,

We're thinking along the same lines.  :thumb:

I've had the IDA-8 for just two weeks, yet I'm already thinking/wondering about how an IDA-16 or DAC-10H might fit into my developing system. The IDA-8 was purchased as a 'second  home' system that was easy on my wallet and is very mobile yet offers good sound. Well, I got a home run with this plus my LS/5-R monitors. I had worried about the low sensitivity, but it just is not a problem with this amp and my smallish room.

I've got a big amp, a tube preamp and an older DAC sitting in boxes at home, and I can't help but wonder if the IDA-16 would make a great replacement or if adding the DAC-10H (to replace my aging DAC and the tube preamp) would be enough. In a perfect world, I'd con....uh...er...persuade John to send me both units so that I might be able to make proper comparisons. Any comparisons are months off as I am on the left side of the Pacific until March anyway.

I suspect you'll like the IDA-8, but that it will make you wonder what its big brothers/sisters are capable of.

Enjoy your journey!

Michael

Thank you Michael, I will be enjoying this new path.  :green: What I am really excited about is that I have only recently converted into computer/bluetooth audio, and I seem to have lucked into a great combination by chance as I am using my (essentially silent) HTPC build to run Daphile software from a bootable USB stick, and the sonics that I am getting running into my USB DAC's has been excellent - at the very least the equal of the sonics of the CD Players I have used as transports, with the added benefit of being able to play (and store) any format - not just 16/44.1 CD's.  And my HTPC cost just over $350 to build.   All the CD players in my house cost significantly more.  Time to move them out quickly!   :duh:  :lol:

If the IDA-8 works as well as the other USB DAC's in the house, I am going to be in for a treat.  Imagine a half-width amp (the IDA-8) sitting beside a half-width low profile PC, and the only thing else required is speakers and (optionally) a TV.  Minimalist, yet capable of doing pretty much anything but surround sound.  Which is perfect in my bedroom and family room setups.   :thumb:

RWJR

« Reply #196 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:15 pm »
Hello,

For those of you who have the IDA 8, do you keep it on all the time or is it better to shut it down so it cools off?

Thanks,
Rob

mresseguie

« Reply #197 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:19 pm »
Hello, Rob.

I definitely shut it down, but not for fear of any damage. It's pretty hot here in Northern Taiwan - daytime temps have been averaging 26 to 32 Celsius with humidity so high one can almost drink it. The last thing my living room needs right now is a 24-hour space heater!  :nono:

I was so concerned about the heat (toward the rear right) that I emailed both Jason and John about it. Both assured me that this was perfectly normal, and that this is the best way to dissipate the heat generated by the unit. I simply ignore it now, though I am looking forward to harnessing that heat this winter. Homes in Taiwan do not have central heating even though temps sometimes drop down to the low to mid teens Celsius in Winter. (no central heating + rebar reinforced concrete walls + ZERO insulation = chilly home) Oh, yeah.  :|

Michael

RWJR

« Reply #198 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:57 pm »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for answering my question.  It helps as I was a little concerned about the heat as well.  My old amp I'd leave on all the time and it never got hot.  I am in Central Texas so I also have the high heat and humidity although my music room does have AC.  My room is warmer than the other rooms because it is next to the garage and faces West-so a lot of sun hits it most of the day. 

How do you like your amp so far?  The more I listen, the better it gets.  I am happy with it-it just plays all of my sources with clarity and with a lively presentation.  I wonder if the IDA 16 or the separates would be a step up?  Maybe if I develop a second system elsewhere in the house, I can explore that option, but for now, I'm content with IDA 8 as my music room is not large (10x13x10), so it is the perfect size and wattage.

I hope you are enjoying Taiwan,  I have heard that the Northern part of the island is beautiful.

Best regards,
Rob

Bwilson1

« Reply #199 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:10 pm »
I have a question about the IDA-8:

I have had this unit for several months now and really enjoying it.  It replaced a NuForce DDA-100 and to my ears is better in every respect (and the DDA-100 was very good to begin with).

My question is as follows:

Does the analog input into the IDA-8 remain in the analog domain right through to the speaker outputs ?  Any internal A/D conversions going on ??

The reason I ask is that I am considering getting a SACD player to play my modest but growing collection of Stereo Hybrid SACDs and just want to be sure that the IDA-8 keeps that pristine analog signal intact through to the output and does not do any internal conversions.

Thanks in advance for any definitive answers that can be provided about my question.