Who's snowed in?

Scottdazzle

Who's snowed in?
« on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:15 pm »
Hey MAACers,

It's day 3 of 20" plus of snow on the ground and not a snow plow in sight in north Vienna.  Is anyone else snowed in?  At least we didn't lose power here like some of the people my wife and I work with.  Dumbbutt that I am, I brought work home so I can't use the snow as an excuse to goof off all day. :duh:

Scott

jaywills

Re: Who's snowed in?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:33 pm »
Here in central Arkansas (!), of all places, I just shut the shop down due to ~4" of surprise snow (we have folks who spend an hour or more driving in from rural areas).  Forecast to be as much as 8" by the time it quits.  Not comparable to the mid-Atlantic coast, but pretty discomboobulating for these usually warmer climes.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:43 pm »
I can imagine how crippling this snow must be in rural Virginia.
We lived in Salem, near Roanoke, for the last 3 years of the 1990s when our boys were in elementary school. If the weatherman predicted snow, the response was serious and immediate as the school bus came rolling down the street towards us with tire chains clanking on a dry paved road.
What kind of precautions are they taking in the face of actual snowfall?

ricmon

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:07 pm »
This worked out kind of nice.  It gav me time to break in the new cart.  Plus working from home is something I can get use to.  Now let's see what happens Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Ric (snowed in, in DC  :rock:

pas

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2010, 11:32 pm »
I'm both blessed & cursed.  Although I couldn't get in to work (Metro & busses shut down) I can work from home, dammit! 

Can't work w/music playing either.  Too much of a distraction!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm »
Been staying in a hotel since Saturday, haven't had power since then.

Going into work tomorrow morning (in Herndon), but who knows about Wednesday at this point.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm »
I can imagine how crippling this snow must be in rural Virginia.
We lived in Salem, near Roanoke, for the last 3 years of the 1990s when our boys were in elementary school. If the weatherman predicted snow, the response was serious and immediate as the school bus came rolling down the street towards us with tire chains clanking on a dry paved road.
What kind of precautions are they taking in the face of actual snowfall?

I lived for five years in B'burg...think the most we got was a foot one time, it got me temporarily out of an econ exam :D

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:35 pm »
I'm both blessed & cursed.  Although I couldn't get in to work (Metro & busses shut down) I can work from home, dammit! 

Can't work w/music playing either.  Too much of a distraction!

+1   

If music is on I will pay attention to it, not work.  I have to be exiled to the silent computer to get anything done.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2010, 04:48 pm »
I was rised in Northern Virginia (Fairfax) and my wife has family there (Arlington and Leesburg.)  I remember how a blizzard would turn everything upside down up there (announcements on the radio  for people with 4 wheel drives to take people to the hospital because ambulances couldn't make it through.)

To say I don't miss it is an understatement.

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:01 pm »
+1   

If music is on I will pay attention to it, not work.  I have to be exiled to the silent computer to get anything done.

I find it hard to work without music in the background.  I'm listening to Nellie Furtado now.

As for snow, CT is supposed to get hit tonight and all day tomorrow.  I'll go to work early and leave late.  That way, there shouldn't be much traffic.  The hard part will be getting my Saab, with its low ground clearance. over the 1+ foot snow pile at the beginning of the driveway.  Other than that, I have no problems in a FWD with snow tires. 

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:02 pm »
I have plenty of snow where I am.  Went out yesterday to grab lunch and pick up a few things.  Probably do the same today in a few minutes as I expect it will be a day or so before I can get out again if we have any accumulation.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:03 pm »
I'm bringing the laprop home with me tonight on the expectation of 1-2 feet of snow tomorrow in the NYC area. Dialing it in from home on Wed and maybe Thurs. The good news is I have about 2-3 hours of work each day to keep me busy, so the rest of the time will be musical appreciation.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:46 pm »
By now, I'm guessing we all are!  :(

ricmon

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:56 pm »
Just encase you guys don't know this is HELL!!!.  We are on track for the largest snow fall in 100 years.  It just blows  my mind when I look out side.  To start shovelling now  is futile.  All the paths that were cleared from last weeks snow are covered as if we  never shovelled it.  I don't know when thing  will get back to "normal".

Ric

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
38 days till Spring..... :hyper:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2010, 08:48 pm »
Piece of cake!
My backyard yesterday and my backyard today! You just get out and shovel! Its fun!

ricmon

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2010, 08:55 pm »
budyog, hope you had fun.  My pics are from today.  few :deadhorse:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm »
Days like those are called "USLDs", unexpected system listening days! How fun! At least the sun is out longer!

bunky

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2010, 09:21 pm »
We Had 32" of snow during the weekend here in Pasadena Md but i still worked on monday and tuesday. i went to our shop this morning to get a feel for the new storm and it was already getting pretty bad out at 6:00 AM. i checked out a nearby jobsite and visibility was rapidly degrading.i sent everyone home including myself.we already have had more snowfall this year than any other since they have been keeping a record of it. it is a blizzard outside now everything is blowing sideways.Spring cant get here soon enough for me....WCW III

ricmon

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2010, 09:30 pm »
Remember,Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not wisdom; Wisdom is not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love; Love is not Music; Music is the best              -Frank Zappa

Franks my man.   If you live in da DC metro area yous got ta come listen to Zappa......strictly vinyl.  :thumb:

Ric