Dave Brubeck has died

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dave Brubeck has died
« Reply #40 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:54 pm »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 7 Dec 2012, 04:34 pm »
I'd heard of a fairly recent account from one of his performances where his son had to help him to cross the stage and seat him at the piano.  He instantly dispelled any crowd anxiety by playing like his old self. 

A tribute to the value of music therapy.

simoon

« Reply #42 on: 7 Dec 2012, 05:51 pm »
An innovator and true gentleman.

When he was a kid, he wanted to be a cowboy. This wasn't a child's fantasy, his father was a rancher.

He was almost kicked out of music school because he couldn't read music. Several of his teachers came to his support by stating that his counterpoint and harmony were the best they ever encountered.

His record company didn't want to release Time Out because of the use of unusual time signatures. They were still stuck in the mindset of the Big Band era, when Jazz was in 4/4 so it would be danceable.

lazydays

« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2012, 06:23 pm »
many years back I saw Dave play at Clewes Hall (some of the best acousitcs in North America), and left stunned. This guy was ontop of his game then, and was simply smoking hot. I can only put four or five key board players in that class (well six). Bassie (for his performances, Gonzalo Rubacalba (talants beyond belief), Montey Alexander (just plain and simply good at his craft), Oscar Peterson (exceptional in an unmiced acoustic venue), Chic Corea (can do it all), and lastly Red Garland. Might toss in Monk as well, but after that the list gets thin. As I said Dave resided in some fantastic company! I might be able to add another three men and maybe one woman, but doubt anybody here has heard of most of them.
gary