Vintage McIntosh MA5100

axb13

Vintage McIntosh MA5100
« on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:48 pm »
Please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered, being a neewb here does not allow me to use the search bar just yet...

I am hoping some of y'all have had done this, anyone run a 2.5mv cart through a vintage Mc phono stage? Looking through the specs it seems it would be able to do down to a 2mv, but im looking for real world experiece on this one. I do not have a cart in mind just yet, currently I am using a 2m bronze and the phono stage works flawless. Just planning my next purchase ahead of time :D

k4rstar

Re: Vintage McIntosh MA5100
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2020, 05:30 am »
the specification you are quoting is input sensitivity which is the nominal voltage input required to achieve full rated output from the amplifier.

the spec you are looking for is overload capacity, that is how great of a signal the phono input can tolerate before overloading. this is specified in the MA-5100 manual to be 125mV, which is higher than any cartridge you can think of will output.

I have used a Shure M7D with 5.0mV output into the MA-5100 phono section with great results.