Is it possible to convert a mono balanced amp in to a unbalanced doubling power

Asaadia

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to use the two sides of a balanced mono amp to add them and have double the power?

as I understand a balanced signal has the same signal from bout sides but inverted, I am wondering if it is possible to take one of the sides of thebalanced signal inverted and then bridge it with the other one.

am I crazy?
The big Idea is to take a stereo balanced amp an do a quadruple bridge, meaning using the for amplifiers circuit and merge them in to a single one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to use the two sides of a balanced mono amp to add them and have double the power?

as I understand a balanced signal has the same signal from bout sides but inverted, I am wondering if it is possible to take one of the sides of thebalanced signal inverted and then bridge it with the other one.

am I crazy?
The big Idea is to take a stereo balanced amp an do a quadruple bridge, meaning using the for amplifiers circuit and merge them in to a single one.
You will need new parts and space to assemble them or use this current amp as parts donor for the new amp.

Asaadia

In particular I have a pair of bat vk-60 in bridged mono mode and it puts out 120 watts I was wondering how to bridge the balances amps in to one, the amp has plenty of space inside but AIs I understand it will involve a new design of the board not just inverting the output signal from one side? And wiring it to the  plus side and wiring the earth to the negative side?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
In particular I have a pair of bat vk-60 in bridged mono mode and it puts out 120 watts I was wondering how to bridge the balances amps in to one, the amp has plenty of space inside but AIs I understand it will involve a new design of the board not just inverting the output signal from one side? And wiring it to the  plus side and wiring the earth to the negative side?
I could email Victor for an safe opinion on this project, however there is various Class D amps low priced currently that may be easier to obtain the result expexcted.

Asaadia

You are right but what is the fun on buying a class d amp for the project what interests me is the idea of having a 240 watt class A or class AB tube amp!
 Please if Victor is with in your reach I will appreciate very much his input on the Idea!!!

Best regards
Albert

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Seems a expensive amp currently, of course the final word is yours, maybe there is a contact custumer page on the BAT site.

Asaadia

ok I will reach customer service to see if they have any invites on the matter. Thanks for your help!!!

2wo

Many amps can have 2 channels bridged to increase power. I gather it's a tube amp so it's going to depend how the the output transformers are set up but probably doable. having the balanced inputs may help...John   

Asaadia

John I think you misunertood the question I was thinking that if a balnanced amp has 4 equal amplifiers inside two for each cannel amplifing the oposite sides of the signal, if it would be possible to merge the four into a single unbalanced one amplifying the hole signal?