RMAF Report please (when available)

PaulFolbrecht

Re: RMAF Report please (when available)
« Reply #40 on: 23 Oct 2006, 02:46 pm »
I'm really sorry I missed the AC gathering.  I JUST found the thread about it Friday morning at the hotel, and then I came down with a horrid headache that eve.  (I generally only read the "Two Ch" forum so missed that thread altogether...)

Chris (lonewolfny), I saw you in one of the rooms - you looked quite familiar (had seen your pics here), but I could not place the face.  Else I would have said hello.

Glad you guys had a great time.  I'll be there next year!

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 23 Oct 2006, 04:44 pm »
Had to leave for the airport around noon on Sunday, sorry I missed seeing some of you. It was great to meet a lot of new audio friends. I have a lot of folks to thank for making the show a super success . . .  will get to that later today  :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #42 on: 23 Oct 2006, 08:52 pm »
Thanks Gary for the reply.

The reason I asked was I am right now building a pair of the GR Research OB 5's, and was wondering what you did not like about them. So thanks for the reply.

If I were a betting man, I would say it is not so much the crossovers you did not like  about the OB's but more the flat frequency response. It was Danny of GR who designed the crossovers in the Azzolina's you liked quite a bit. Did the Azzolina's crossover show themselves on those?

I have not seen a frequency response of the Bastanis Prometheus OB but I bet there is a midrange to lower treble peak doing some exciting things for them. Although this is just a guess having lived with some full range drivers.

Rocket_sawdust_Ronny

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #43 on: 23 Oct 2006, 09:00 pm »
For me the OB7s sounded good, but more like box speakers than fullrange OB (OB meaning flat baffle- no wings)
Lin :D

Glenn K

« Reply #44 on: 23 Oct 2006, 10:29 pm »

ACI - Mike did a killer job with the Saphire XL's!!  These speakers basically ran full range and were a joy to listen to.  When you factor in the finish, quality, and price they are a steal.  GIK treatments were also found here helping make things better.

George and Chris 

Yea and guess what, I bought the whole set up from him. :thumb: Three days sitting in that room just loving every single sound being played. 

Glenn

WEEZ

« Reply #45 on: 23 Oct 2006, 10:35 pm »
It was great meeting so many of the AC members at the show. Discussing what we saw and heard during the day over beers in the evening was great fun.

I will mumble a few words after reviewing all my notes and literature which was stuffed into the many pockets of my luggage...some of which is crumpled.....

WEEZ  :o

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2006, 11:38 pm »
Back from RMAF and must admit it was one of the most enthralling audio expereinces I have ever
been witness too.
My single regret is that I didn't make any plans or arrangements to meet any of the AC members who
were in attendance.  I guess being a relatively new member I felt slightly uncomfortable, but should I
be lucky enogh to return some year I would really like to meet you guys.
Toronto is a long way from Denver (didn't get back until 2am this morning) but it was well worth the
effort.
A few of my thoughts and impressions:
I took the approach top visit as many rooms as possible in less than the 2 days iw as there.  Yes, the
major dollar exhibits were amazing but my idea was to try to really zone in on the kind of stuff that I
could actually afford either today or in the future.
A few roos that I thought were great:
Odyssey - what a show Klaus puts on.  The sound emenating from his highly affordable (in the highend
sense of value) gear was amazing.  For just over $5000.00 I could easily have lived with his system and
called it a career, but that actually never happens in our hobby.  I bought the Statos Monos a month ago
but only received them the evening before I left for Denver so I was anxious to hear them.  Wow!!  I
can't wait to hook them up tonite!
Bolder Cable - what a great guy Wayne is.  No nonsense, straight answers and great sound.
GR Research and Dodd Amps - This room blew me away.  I know some of you have commented that his
open baffles designs are not everyone' cup of Java but I must admit that the tube sound coming out
of those drivers was entralling.
Soundsmith - Great to meet Peter Ledermann and his crew from New York.  His small bookshelf speakers
mated with 25 year old modified Tanberg Int amp and CD player was excellent.
There was one thing about visiting these 3 rooms which struck me.  When the music started in these
rooms anybody that was in the room, just sat or stood and listened; no one got up to leave.  We were
being treated to music on affordable levels and isn't that what is all about.
I will let others comment from here on and I will chime in when I rmember more - I am a lttle tired (curse
Air Canada)
Cheers
BTW I was the little chubby gut wearing the "Greatest Dad" baseball cap.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2006, 12:00 am »
The RMAF show was so darn big that I'm sure none of us got to check out all the rooms. Next year I'm going to make sure I visit all the rooms where our buds here on the circle are showing there gear first. All in all I've got to say that what I did hear was exceptional. Maybe a room or two wasn't to my liking. Had a GREAT!!! time and I hope to see all of you there again next year.

Cheers
                               Charlie

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:01 am »
The RMAF show was so darn big that I'm sure none of us got to check out all the rooms. Next year I'm going to make sure I visit all the rooms where our buds here on the circle are showing there gear first. All in all I've got to say that what I did hear was exceptional. Maybe a room or two wasn't to my liking. Had a GREAT!!! time and I hope to see all of you there again next year.

Cheers
                               Charlie
Thats what I said last year Charlie....its big and time... goes.... so fast. And it was nice meeting you Charlie ( and your son Weez... :lol:) and all the other AC member's who came to the show.

Best sounding room....might of been Ray Kimber's room. A giant room overflowing with Soundlab speakers up to the ceiling and 6 Pass amps (1200 watts) for power. It was impressive....but I couldn't fit it in my room.... :lol:
I'm sure there are photo's out already.....  :D

Here's another RMAF show report......

TomS

« Reply #49 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:12 am »
I had my mind made up for best of show until, on Sunday morning, I dropped into the Kimber room when there wasn't a soul in there except the guy at the controls (not Ray).  I sat in the perfect middle seat and had a private little concert that was frankly breathtaking.  Of course for about $400k of gear it should be.

Before that I had decided the bigger MBL/Kharma room nearly made me cry it was so sweet and believable.  Despite my feelings about these insanely priced pieces ($75k Kharmas) I still had to give the nod to that one.

Rooms I felt compelled to go back to more than once for relief and good music were the Merlin/Joule Electra room (ok, I AM biased) and Wayne's Bolder/VMPS/Response room.  I could have listened in either one all day.  Vinyl in the Chris's Teres room was also scary good but constantly crowded.

It was truly a blast meeting everyone from AC as well.

Tom

WEEZ

« Reply #50 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:22 am »
..you know what Chris?.....when I went to pee that first night in the bar (er..the restroom, actually) someone took the disc you gave me with the NY Rave reference tunes on it.  :x . Prolly (er..probably) 'cause 'dad' wasn't there yet to supervise me.  :lol:

TomS.........I agree re: the Merlin room and Wayne's room. In those rooms you could listen past the gear and hear the music.  8)

WEEZ!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #51 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:25 am »
Weez....PM me you addy....I'll send you another.
Now....don't lose it.... :nono:..... :jester:

Chris

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #52 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:37 am »
The juicy music room was nice, sound was okay given their $2k preamp and $5k power amps were hooked up to cheapie klipsch speakers that made my ears hurt.

Gary

I agree, but the Klipsch's sounded better/less bad? than I have ever heard before.

Did anybody get a chance to hear the Omega hemp XRSs in the Juicy Music room? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lin

lonewolfny42

« Reply #53 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:44 am »
The juicy music room was nice, sound was okay given their $2k preamp and $5k power amps were hooked up to cheapie klipsch speakers that made my ears hurt.

Gary

I agree, but the Klipschs sounded better/less bad? than I have ever heard before.

Did anybody get a chance to hear the Omega hemp XRSs in the Juicy Music room? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lin
I did hear the Omega's there on Saturday....XRS's....sounded good. Even Mark (Juicy Music) could not get over how well they sounded with his tube system....was a very good system match. Big sound from a little driver..... 8)

WEEZ

« Reply #54 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:47 am »
The speakers in the Juicy Music room left much to be desired. Both of them. But I was there really early on Fri., so it was likely a break-in issue.

I suspect that the Omega's weren't broken in yet...'cause the 8" versions in Louis's room were fine.

FWIW,

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #55 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:55 am »
thanks, Chris. I will send a PM.  :oops:

opnly bafld...others said that the sound improved greatly later on. I just never got back to witness the improvement. Take my comments with a grain of salt. (and a shot of tequilla too!)

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

« Reply #56 on: 24 Oct 2006, 01:55 am »
Another web report with photo's.....6moons....... :thumb:

Since I hate to write a long story....and I can't type....quick comments.

The Bolder Room....Nice seeing Wayne again....VMPS 30's sounded good powered by Bill Baker's Bella amp....and SB setup. Treatments all over added to the enjoyment.Nice job Wayne... :thumb:

Modwright Room....His main room with AZ speakers, MW preamp and player and Bill Baker's Bella mono's....nicely done Dan..... :thumb:

Both these rooms with Responce Bella amps sounded good....first time hearing Bill's amps....I liked them....nice job Bill..... :thumb:

tvyankee

« Reply #57 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:02 am »
Hey Guy's

Just want to thank everyone who stopped buy and hung out and took a listen.I had a great time this year even though i didn't have time to take a listen to eveything i wanted but some of the stuff i heard was pretty good.

The system i had put together ended up sounded real good for the amount money it cost for electronics and the cables and the speaker's.The total amount of the system was somewhere around $10,000.00 for everything.That is retail pricing.

The FJ OHM Dude2 is a great speaker and anyone looking for a new speaker should really check them out.$5800.00 retail.

Thanks again.

Dave

lonewolfny42

« Reply #58 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:36 am »
Another two rooms.....
GR Research - Danyy once again did a fine job on treating his room. Sharing the room....Gary Dodd. Same speaker's as last year....slight crossover change. With the Dodd 120's, Dodd Battery preamp, and Lite dac and player ....sounded good to my ears. Cranked a little ZZ Top, followed by Danny's selection....AC/DC....it was rock'in.... :rock:
He also played his new smaller speaker, ribbon front,two woofers on top....big sound, clean, good dynamic's....nice job Danny.... :thumb:

Right across from Danny....RAW speaker's....powered by Dodd. Heard the HT8's and HT3's. Good looking, good sounding....well done Al.... :thumb:

gary

« Reply #59 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:45 am »
I agree, but the Klipsch's sounded better/less bad? than I have ever heard before.

Thanks,
Lin

Yeah, this I would agree with. They sounded better than I've heard Klipsch sound before, the midrange was very nice and if it wasn't for the harshness on the high end I would have really liked it. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the Omegas in that room, and when I did go to the Omega room early Saturday morning something sounded very off so I left after a minute or two.

Gary