Model 3 to 3A or 3A to 3ASig or 3 to 3ASig upgrade

mgsboedmisodpc2

Model 3 to 3A or 3A to 3ASig or 3 to 3ASig upgrade
« on: 12 May 2012, 01:39 pm »
Has anyone ever upgraded their model 3 to 3A or 3ASig level?  If so what was your experience with the process i.e. purchasing a new box for shipping freight or shipping company used for shipping, turn around time at vandersteen and most importantly was the upgrade worth it sonically and did you hear vast improvements to the sound.

One of my worries is the 3ASig is a true 4ohm speaker design.  The model 3 is more like a 6 ohm design and as such this upgrade might prove a difficult load for my current reference amp the low powered PRIMA LUNA PROLOGUE 5.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 02:40 pm by mgsboedmisodpc2 »

George3

Re: Model 3 to 3A or 3A to 3ASig or 3 to 3ASig upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 06:10 am »
I upgraded my 3A's to Signatures and I think it was the most significant thing I have ever done in audio in 30 years. The difference, for me, was simply marvelous. The upgrade is well worth it sonically and in my case, a malfunctioning mid was, of course, replaced. The procedure is rather straight forward. I had my original boxes. After discussing the upgrade with RV, a truck pulled up in my driveway, speakers were put on pallets and three weeks later they were returned the same way but in new 3A Sig boxes. You are perhaps familiar with what the upgrade consists of and the details are on Vandersteen's web site so I won't go into it here but believe me it is a substantial upgrade and well worth every single cent paid. Coupled to the Signature's I have a pair of 2W subs with a M5 crossover so I like to think what I have is really a poor man's 5A. My McIntosh amp is relieved of having to drive the low end and hence I have no problem and as a matter of fact, the amp sounds better as a result. I usually refrain from directly recommending or providing audio advice but if you like the 3A's you will absolutely love the Signatures.
George

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 07:01 pm »
George, how long ago was it since this upgrade was performed.
The latest upgrade now includes the pleated model 5A midrange and I think the crossovers is now PC board based.
My worries are
1) Using FEDEX ground services two dead presidents service damaging the speakers before it arrives for the upgrade.
2) Upgrading before the next major upgrade comes around though since the latest upgrade recently announce another should not be expected anytime soon

I occasionally play drum and bass electronic music which sometimes tests the 8inch woofer (not the 10 acoustic coupler though) and so I doubt I would purchase the 2W subwoofer.

I am quite satisfied with the MODEL 3 but there have been some many updates to materials used since this model was put together I feel an upgrade a must do.

George3

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2012, 02:12 am »
My upgrade was done four years ago. However, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry about the next upcoming update least you be waiting for the next ten years. In audio, it seems like there is always an update around the corner. Ergo, when you are financially and mentally ready, do it.

Regarding shipment of these speakers, I would suggest you consider truck freight and not FedEx or UPS. It very well may be more expensive but I think it safer and well worth it.

Also, please do not dismiss the use of a pair of subs. Vandersteen subs are not the home theater, earth shaking variety. They are there to reproduce the bottom end, relieve your amp from that function, and serve to go low without an in your face presence. They are musical subs. There are a number of reviews on the subs on line, if you can't find them I will provide you with some links. In short, RV uses stereo subs in all of his top tier models and does so for very
good reasons.

If you have the 3's, going to the 3A Signatures will be a very and I mean, very, significant upgrade. The mid, tweeter and crossover changes will transform your speakers and of this, have no doubts.

Another option to consider since you are going from 3's which is an old speaker and the conversion to 3A Sig is a hefty sum, is to consider the Quattro's and they will already have the subs built in for you.  If I had 3's, that is what I would be thinking of doing. Myself, I am looking forward to the day when I can acquire a pair of 5A Carbons.....

George

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 12:18 pm »
at one time the differences between 3a and 3a sig was

"Using the 3A as the basis for comparison, the differences in the 3A Signature are as follows:

all the critical capacitors and resistors in the crossover are replaced with the same-quality parts used in the Model 5 crossover;

additional bracing is installed in the bass enclosure;

the same tweeter used in the Model 5 is installed;

the crossover is modified for the Model 5 tweeter;

phase-compensating networks separate from the crossover are installed for the midbass and midrange drivers and are hand-tuned for each midbass/midrange driver combo plus the left and right speaker, so the speakers match each other;

price includes large Sound Anchor rear braces; these are a $200 extra-cost option on the 3A.
"

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 01:41 pm »
I should probably get this upgrade soon since they may be no longer avaialble in the future due to expense which is the case for the 2W.

"We have what we like to think of as a buyer-protection plan. The Model 3A and 2W for example, we promise customers that they will be able to upgrade both of those products in the future as improvements are made. Because of the way the loudspeakers are made, this usually means the speakers have to be sent back to the factory for the updating. So it isn’t something people will do often, but it is there and we do this kind of work regularly. Many pairs of Model 3 loudspeakers have been upgraded to Model 3A, which is a significant upgrade, for example."

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 01:56 pm »
And here I found an old review of the 3A which describes some of the changes made from the model 3.
Most interesting is the price for the upgrade from 3 to 3a being under $700 including shipping back in the mid 90's.

"So far, the description of the 3A tracks that of the 3 almost down the line. But the 3A
incorporates a number of those invisible refinements. The woofer/acoustic coupler
interaction has been modified for a more extended bass response (though the specs don't
reflect any change here). The acoustic coupler itself has benefited from development
research conducted for the soon-to-be-introduced Model 5, and now has an aluminumalloy
cone and an altered magnet assembly. It also has a new, shaped pole-piece with
copper end-rings. The latter are said to result in a longer linear excursion and consistent
impedance throughout the driver's range of movement.

Now, two years after its introduction, we
have the first modification to the Model 3 (originally reviewed by JA in Vol.16 No.3, p.140):
the 3A.

The midrange driver is unchanged from the Model 3, but now undergoes an extended
factory break-in period. Following this break-in, the drivers are calibrated into matched
pairs. Though the 3A's tweeter is essentially the same as that in the 3, modifications are
said to improve its transparency and resolution. The 3A's crossover uses the same
quality-level parts (and internal cabling) as the 3, but has been reconfigured physically,
and modified for better phase compensation .
As was the case with the original Model 3, the 3A has LED overload indicators wired
across the woofer terminals that become visible through the grille-cloth when the
loudspeaker is being overdriven. They never illuminated for me, I guess I didn't drive the
3As hard enough to energize them.
Finally, the maximum thickness of the 3A's cabinet has been increased from 1.25" to 2".
Overall, however, the 3A is only spec'd at one pound heavier than the 3, so the increase in
cabinet density appears to be minor.
Owners of older Model 3s can have their loudspeakers upgraded to current specifications
for a reasonable $650/pair, which includes freight costs from the manufacturer to the
owner."

George3

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
Welcome to the 21st Century with it's commensurate price increases.....

George3

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm »
Mgs...

Don't know if you saw this ad on audio asylum.... But here are a pair of 5A's .... If I lived on the east coast I would seriously consider them....

http://www.AudioAsylumTrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-SS/Vandersteen/5A/walnut/70164

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm »
nice but i pass

ratbbb2

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2014, 03:37 pm »
I know this is two years old but wanted to give my opinion. As George said the upgrade was great but the addition of the 2w subs and the m5-hp cross overs bought my mostly rogue set up to a level I did. Know was possible to me.  Going back to read the rest of the posts now.