TVC TAP Balanced Outputs

elg2001

TVC TAP Balanced Outputs
« on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:08 am »
Hi,
   Quick question: if I plug a non-balanced input (such as a Nintendo Wii) into the TAP, will the XLR outputs still function normally? I'm wondering whether all inputs and outputs need to be balanced in order for the XLR outs to work. It would be great if non-balanced in converted into balanced out via the XLR outputs. :)

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: TVC TAP Balanced Outputs
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2007, 02:06 am »
Hello!

Yes - it will work just fine. Most of the work when we did the MK III rev was to get all the modes (rca to xlr, xlr to rca, etc) to behave very well. This conversion just happens at the same time the volume control happens - no extra circuits are used.

Thansk!

John

elg2001

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:02 pm »
If using a non-balanced input, will the XLR output still be a balanced output or will it be non-balanced?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:43 pm »
Hello!

The TVC actually does the conversion from single ended to balanced or from balanced to single ended. You can mix RCA and XLR inputs and always have either an RCA (single ended) or XLR (Balanced) output. As mentioned it was a bear of a job to get all these modes to work really well - most of the time spend on the MK III TX102 was in getting all these modes right. A side effect of the symetry required to do this is that is also allows phase inversion in any of the modes.

Many Thansk!

John

elg2001

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:41 pm »
Wow cool. Any updates on when my unit will be ready to ship? :)

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:08 pm »
Hello John. I am wondering if RCA inputs can run the grounds on the second part of the balanced circuit and have a phase switch as part of the outputs?

dnd

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2007, 03:41 am »
OK John, now I have yet more niggly detail questions on this whole RCA/XLR subject -

1) Do I understand you correctly that at the inputs, the TAP does the:

balanced -> single-ended conversion when using the single-ended outputs,
OR
single-ended -> balanced conversion when using the balanced outputs?   [Did I say that right :?]

2) If this is the case, does the TVC always work in balanced or single-ended depending on the output?

3) Do I also understand you correctly [...sorry to over use the expression] that if you have a LO410 on the single-ended outputs [to isolate the ground] you can use both single-ended outputs [like for a subwoofer] and the balanced outputs at the same time?

The advantage of this configuration being that the balanced outputs are kept truly balanced at the same time you use the single-ended outputs?  Otherwise, without the LO410, the balanced outputs would still work, but simply have that #3 pin to ground, thus not being truly balanced? :scratch: I have a headache...

I am sort of pulling some info together from different threads including this one.  If this has already been covered I apologize.

Time for bed!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2007, 11:46 pm »
Hello!

elg2001:

Working on getting it done as quick as we can!

Mike B.

When we invert phase we do it on the primary (input) side of the tx102. We use separate input switches for this so there are no extra switch contacts in the signal path that way.

dnd:

1- Yes it does each conversion

2- The TVC is inherently 'differential' - ie it sees the difference between the two sides of the coil on it's input. It does not 'switch modes' as such - it just works in all modes that you feed it.

3- You may have a headache but you have it figured out exactly! - to mix OUTPUT modes you need to isolate the ground on the rca output and that is what the LO410 transformer does. This is kinda a special case and does not come up much at all. There is no problem mixing rca and xlr inputs - since they are isolated by the input switching anyway.

Thansk!

John