HT Setup - New

DTB300

HT Setup - New
« on: 8 Apr 2004, 02:19 pm »
Hi everyone...

I am the owner of the Yamaha DSP-1 using two of their M-35 Power Amps driving four KEF C30 speakers. Back in the day (10-15 years?) it was cool to have all those sound effects, etc. etc.

Now I have a far superior two channel system for listening to audio, I want to upgrade to a HT Receiver in the $500-$700 range (start cheaper now, upgrade later on). It will be used mostly for DVD Movie playback instead of music multi-channel.

I have looked at the Integra DTR 5.4 & 6.4, and the Denon 1804 & 2803 recently. I have a PreAmp (SP-16L)with a processor loop out and am using Martin Logans for my main two channel speakers. My DVD/combo player is the Denon-2200 and I use VDA-1 for my DAC for redbooks...anyways...on to video (sorry).

Using my Martin Logans as my Front Pair (using phantom center channel for now), a pair of the C30's for middle channel and the other pair of C30's for back channel, will I be able to use the HT Receievers I listed above to accomplish this? I am not concerned about universal volume control for all the speakers as I could adjust surround channels with the Integra and Denon with a set volume on the ARC.

Ideas, comments? As I am new to the HT world. Again not looking for high end on the DVD Movie, just a nice upgrade from the old DSP-1.

Thanks,
Dan

byteme

HT Setup - New
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2004, 03:09 pm »
Dan,

I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish.  This thread may help clear things up a little bit -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7497&highlight=

Unless of course I misunderstood what you're after.  One thing you may want to think of with the reciever, make sure that it will switch component video as well as s-video.  It may not seem like a big deal but down the road it could be very useful!  I think the 2803 does this but I'm not sure about the integras.  Oh, and I'd definately get a center channel.  It's very arguably the most important of the 5 or 7 speakers you've got in the mix.  To me, for HT, the sub is the key component but the center is right behind that.

DTB300

HT Setup - New
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2004, 04:15 pm »
Quote from: byteme

Unless of course I misunderstood what you're after.  One thing you may want to think of with the reciever, make sure that it will switch component video as well as s-video.   It may not seem like a big deal but down the road it could be very useful!  I think the 2803 does this but I'm not sure about the integras.

Okay I will have to look into that to see:  what it is you are talking about   :o  and if the units support it.

Update:  Is this what you are refering to:

Composite and S-Video to Component Video Upconversion         

Composite To S-Video Conversion       

BTW, with the "center" channels I mentioned, they would be the middle of the room (side wall) center channels.  After I re-read, I was not clear on that.

Oh, and I'd definately get a center channel. It's very arguably the most important of the 5 or 7 speakers you've got in the mix. To me, for HT, the sub is the key component but the center is right behind that.

That again will have to be something to purchase down the road.  I just sunk almost 3k into my audio system lately, so frugality is the word here to keep myself in the married status :)

Later.....Dan

byteme

HT Setup - New
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2004, 04:53 pm »
Update: Is this what you are refering to:

Composite and S-Video to Component Video Upconversion

Dan,

That would make things the easiest on you.  Then you could always run whatever video item you have through the reciever and have only one output to the TV.  That way, when you select that item for audio it automatically switches the video as well.  You may still need to run a composite or s-video to the TV to get the Receivers on screen menus to come up though.  Some receivers (I've got the 3802 from Denon) will only output their menus to the TV via composite or s-video.

As for the center channel - I hear you!  No point in being able to enjoy your audio video gear if you're going to have to do it all alone!

DTB300

HT Setup - New
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2004, 05:21 pm »
Update...

Have been reading through the manuals for the 2200 and the DTR5.4  First, the 2200 only does 5.1 output and the DTR has 5.1 input.  So far so good.  Now my ARC Preamp for my 2 Channel Audio has a Processor Loop jack and the DTR has Pre Out (variable) and Line Out (fixed) Jacks.  Note:  This is for ZONE 2 Output.

So, if I read everything correctly, for DVD Movie watching, I set my 2200 to Multi-Channel output, sending to the DTR, I then have the DTR Pre Out or Line Out jacks (test to see which is best)  hooked up to the Processor jack on the ARC Preamp.    I can then control volume for mains either with ARC or DTR depending on which I like better.

Not the most ideal situation for the "true" HT Sound, but it will work and be better for now.   I will get full sound to the Main Audio Speakers (?) (My ARC connects to a crossover for main and Subwoofer signal splitting) and the 4 channel front and rear will come off the DTR and go to the KEF speakers on the middle side wall the the side rear walls.  

Hey, it is a start to better sound than what I am getting with the DSP-1.

Agree?  Disagree?  Comments?

Later.....Dan

byteme

HT Setup - New
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2004, 06:19 pm »
Sorry man, I'm a little slow today.  You lost me totally.

DTB300

HT Setup - New
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2004, 03:26 am »
Sorry man, I'm a little slow today.  You lost me totally.

No problem... :)  

I got a chance to get over to my favorite Stereo Store here in MD and found out that the Integra DTR 6.4 will do the trick for me with my current setup.  I will be able to use my Martin Logans up front and my 4 KEF's for surrond mode.  And when and if I want to upgrade I can add center front and center rear if I want.

Thanks again...Dan