Where are the cymbals ??

Huck

Where are the cymbals ??
« on: 17 Dec 2022, 02:05 pm »
After doing something I never thought I would do and that is streaming,but now it is my main thing to do when doing any lengthly listening sessions.
I have noticed that cymbals are basically not heard on most of today's music,not sure if it's my rig or that the drums and cymbals seem like an afterthought.
A few tracks I have noticed and I am sure there are 100's more that have at least (some) cymbal sounds 'out front' are:
-Billy Preston-"Outa-Space"
-All Them Witches-"Charles William"
-Golden Earring-"Radar Love"
What are some of yours? Huck :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2022, 03:19 pm by Huck »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Where are the cymbals ??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:14 pm »
Try listening to Chicago "I'm a man" if you want to hear some drums and cymbals.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:25 pm »
Today's music? Like top 40? That's because most of it is done with software.

The most unmusical sound is digital hi-hats. Makes me cringe. It's like a cellphone ring tone as a drummer. Of course lots if generalization here. There are still some newer artists that use acoustic drums or really high quality drum samples. I am still in the camp of "drum machines have no soul", but good software has closed that gap to some extent. But a drum loop will never make up for that funky drummer.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:33 pm »
" drum loop will never make up for that funky drummer"

Roger that.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2022, 11:32 am »
Today's music? Like top 40? That's because most of it is done with software.

The most unmusical sound is digital hi-hats. Makes me cringe. It's like a cellphone ring tone as a drummer. Of course lots if generalization here. There are still some newer artists that use acoustic drums or really high quality drum samples. I am still in the camp of "drum machines have no soul", but good software has closed that gap to some extent. But a drum loop will never make up for that funky drummer.

I was actually referring to music where musicians actually played their respective instruments..(in studio).Thanks,Huck

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2022, 03:51 pm »
I was actually referring to music where musicians actually played their respective instruments..(in studio).Thanks,Huck

I am a drummer, been playing drums all my life. I don't know specifically what tracks or genres you say you can't hear the cymbals, but the songs you are referring to that you can hear them more are older. Could be just the mixes back then in the studio. I will say more modern stuff they seem not to use cymbals as much and they are lower in the mix even with the live drummers. If we are talking modern music, live drummers tend to emulate simpler drum loops versus doing more of a lively style like Keith Moon. Not saying one is better, just a matter of personal taste.

The "All them Witches" tune is one I never heard before, but when I looked them up the drummer doesn't have crash cymbals in his kit and was using one over head mic. Could be just the video I saw, but more of a matter of recording and mastering than anything I would suspect.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2022, 08:59 pm »
Growing up I had a part time job through high-school just to pay for gas, cds and concerts. Having seen hundreds of shows over the years I would completely agree that a recording and gear changes are directly compared by how well they replicate percussion, and cymbals in particular. If the drum kit is mic'd from behind, it throws off the whole deal for me. If there is no difference in cymbal sound and you can't hear that ting and sizzle of high-hat then again it just loses it for me. While the song itself can be fun to listen, if the rhythm section isn't very believable sounding it is just hard to get into.