Where should you raise the volume in the chain?

Mag

Where should you raise the volume in the chain?
« on: 3 Oct 2022, 07:11 pm »
Depending on your particular setup where should the volume be raised in the chain for optimal sound? :?
Okay let's say you stream, should one raise the volume at the source (Streamer), mixer/EQ, Bluetooth wireless headphone amp, receiver (amp). Please provide your reasoning.

For example: on my secondary system I stream Amazon HD on computer, I can adjust the output here from 0 to 100%. Or at wireless headphone amp (volume control) receiver ( volume control).

IMO the amp should have the volume priority so that speakers can be powered properly.
 I notice though if I set the volume high at the source (streamer) and then adjust the wireless headphone amp accordingly to how loud I want to listen, seems to sound best. Receiver volume stays set at 25 on the dial.

WGH

Re: Where should you raise the volume in the chain?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2022, 10:15 pm »
Keep the source at 100% unless it has an analog volume control, then anything goes.

A digital volume control used to lower the bit depth, these days it probably depends on how it is implemented.

https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2022, 10:24 pm »
Your phrase "Raise the volume" made me giggle. When I was new in the recording studio I would ask the engineer to turn up the bass, turn up the drums, turn up the trumpet, etc. One time after long session he snapped at me, I can't keep turning everything up, there's only so much "up" available, you have to tell me to turn something down!

Your question reminded me of that because in audio electronics we don't actually "raise the volume," we almost always "attenuate" the level down from the fixed gain level that is set by the all the amplifiers in the system. So when we "turn up the volume," we are actually turning down the attenuation to let more of the already amplified signal come through. Gain and attenuation are little bit strange concepts for non-techies but valuable to understand as it affects the overall noise of the system.

My take is that any volume controls on sources early in the signal chain should be adjusted to get best sound quality and lowest noise. This usually means leaving all the digital volume controls set at max output to avoid loss of resolution that is typical of digital attenuation, and also turning up any analog "output level" trim knobs on analog source components to maximum, or at least turned up to match other fixed output components. Save the adjustable attenuation main volume control for the end of the signal chain with the preamp just before power amp, or the integrated amp last step before speakers. By using analog attenuation close to the end of the chain, the noise accumulated by all the preceding components in the chain will also be attenuated along with the signal itself. This is the traditional audiophile setup.

The latest trend for our advanced colleagues is to run 64 bit digital volume control at the beginning of the signal chain, as part of the player software, like Roon or JRiver, then send that losslessly attenuated high resolution digital signal to the DAC playing full scale into the power amp. Simple and elegant, with very low noise and lots of magic software buttons to tweak.  :thumb:

polycentric

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2022, 11:46 pm »
I've heard the same as above, to leave digital sources at 100% and adjust at the pre-amp/integrated.

I wonder how volume control is implemented in the wireless headphone amp whether it's digital or performed post D/A transformation.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2022, 10:22 am »
I agree with everything Rich says here in theory.  However our well respected member dbcooper says his streaming service is overdriven at it's highest volume level and you should turn the volume down a small scrunch in the app in order to reduce distortion produced at the max volume.  I've no idea if this is true, but my system sounds a little cleaner when I do this.  Anyone else?  Otherwise I agree that the preamp or preamp section in an integrated should control volume.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2022, 02:19 pm »
I like Rich's answer. I too mix a lot of studio tracks and it's always tempting to just raise one over the other, but in fact you should probably be cutting down "the other" many times.

That bein said, it's also important to know where the best quality amplification is. That may be your preamp, as long as it is getting a sufficiant signal from your source component. Remember, the source only puts out 2mv to the preamp, unless it is balanced. So the signal is small and is more easily increased, though it is more easily distorted at those levels too.

It's a game that will require trial and error on your part. Use some pure high frequency music without a lot of complication, or perhaps voice or piano and see what sounds best to your ears.

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2022, 02:48 pm »
I agree with everything Rich says here in theory.  However our well respected member dbcooper says his streaming service is overdriven at it's highest volume level and you should turn the volume down a small scrunch in the app in order to reduce distortion produced at the max volume.  I've no idea if this is true, but my system sounds a little cleaner when I do this.  Anyone else?  Otherwise I agree that the preamp or preamp section in an integrated should control volume.

I have spent a lot if time with pro sound and recording equipment and agree with both Rich and Dbcooper. You always want your source input as high as possible while remaining undistorted and not overloading or the signal clipping coming into the preamp/eq etc. If the source is a little hot you can turn it down. With recording gear it is easy to see that the input is too high, maybe some trial and error in audio. Now IMO there is no hard rule here. I have a older tube pre amp and sometimes I will turn down my source so I can have my pre amp gain a little higher to get more tube in my sound. Same can be done with the amp if your amp has tone control. So there is some tweakability depending on the rig. But the rule of thumb is having the cleanest and highest level at the source as a starting point.