I've Been Hiding Under a Rock

Mag

I've Been Hiding Under a Rock
« on: 24 Aug 2022, 06:20 pm »
  Discovering new music to me, bands like Dream Theater, Liquid Tension, DGM and a few others I'm not familiar with yet. Going thru their albums one at a time to find the ones I like on Amazon HD.

I guess it's been called Progressive Rock possibly Death Metal. But I prefer to call it Power Rock. I like it because there's plenty of creative riffs, heavy bass and it makes my stereo sound powerful.

Not for everyone of coarse but I'm liking it as I need more rock as the bands from the '70s are getting old on the playlist but still great rock that stood the test of time. :smoke:

rockadanny

Re: I've Been Hiding Under a Rock
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2022, 07:49 pm »
Check out Steve Wilson's, "The Raven That Refused To Sing".

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2022, 09:19 pm »
Progressive melodic death metal outfits, I would recommend are: Opeth, In Mourning, Edge Of Sanity, Witherscape and Dan Swanö.They all hail from Sweden.In fact, there are a lot of amazing melodic death metal bands, that come from Scandinavia, you can find them here: https://www.metal-archives.com/

DannyBadorine

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2022, 11:00 pm »
I highly recommend Tesseract, Vulkan and Leprous.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2022, 08:19 am »
I'm sorry, Cookie Monster vocals was not what I had in mind for Power Rock, that's another genre. And Steve Wilson was pretty mellow definitely not Power Rock. :nono:

Try one of these for starters, mostly instrumental.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2022, 05:02 pm »
Steven Wilson is from Porcupine Tree.  You might find them to be more "power rock" than his solo stuff, but it varies a lot from song to song.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2022, 06:42 pm »
Steven Wilson is from Porcupine Tree.  You might find them to be more "power rock" than his solo stuff, but it varies a lot from song to song.

I have Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere, Not Here and a couple others. I always compared them to Pink Floyd, Psychedelic Rock. :smoke:

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2022, 08:16 pm »
How adventurous are you? KXCI will thrill you, excite you, and challenge you. KXCI is our local community radio station, all volunteer, no commercials, and real DJ's 24/7.

KXCI streams live, Saturdays are my favorite but it is always on all day in the background. I'm not familiar with the late night programs, each DJ has their own particular mix and can play whatever they like, no playlists, ever.

The Program page lists all the shows. The daytime Music Mix doesn't do too much hard rock, it's a mix of everything.
The late night shows will have all the new rock, punk, vinyl, electronica you crave.
https://kxci.org/programs/#music

Click on the blue "Schedule & Archive" to listen to a 2 week archive of any particular program.

Check out ELEVN2HVN AKA TrainwReck Radio from 11:00 PM – 1:55 AM
https://spinitron.com/KXCI/pl/16330354/ELEVN2HVN-AKA-TrainwReck-Radio

Click a program, explore and enjoy

simoon

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2022, 04:20 pm »
The band Haken may be of interest. Prog-metal and prog, with great melodies, incredible musicianship, top quality vocals.

One if my favorite, is the Swedish band, Pain of Salvation. Their first 5 recordings are amazing, especially Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, One Hour By the Concrete Lake. Their later albums were still great, but more hit or miss, until, In the Passing Light of Day.

The thing about them is they never seem to "wear their complexity on their sleeves ', like Dream Theater does. Their complexity and musicianship always seem to serve the emotional content of the music.

Another great band to check out, is The Contortionist.  Especially the album, Language. Fantastic album with loads emotion, complexity, musicianship.

Randy64

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2022, 02:25 am »
Check out Sea of Tranquility on  Youtube. Good source of all things Prog.