Power Cords and Fuses with NCore Amps - What do you use?

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
Scotty, that is the wrong HQ Player. Here is the link:   

http://www.signalyst.com/index.html

To find out more about it there are two threads at Computer Audiophile under software.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2014, 11:49 pm by hifial »

hifial

• Sound Test
Power Cords and Fuses with NCore Amps - What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:40 am »
Well I might as well add my 2 cents ($20.00 in todays $).

Here is a tip for all. I had my internal fuses in the Veritas NC1200 monos changed to the new Synergistic RED and the improvement was not subtle and was from top to bottom. I did not expect much of, if any, improvement but was very surprised. Made a great sounding amp even better. They have a 30 day money back so it is worth the try. 
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2014, 11:51 pm by hifial »

Nick77

Re: Re: Are you a happy Ncore owner?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2014, 11:42 am »
Well I might as well add my 2 cents ($20.00 in todays $).

I still have my Merrill Audio NC1200 Veritas monos and love how they let ALL the instruments sound like they should. It is the one constant in my system that never sounds colored, bright etc. Whenever I try a new piece of equipment or cable etc, it lets you easily hear the change and if the change has any colorization , brightness etc.

Here is a tip for all. I had my internal fuses in the Veritas monos changed to the new Synergistic RED and the improvement was not subtle and was from top to bottom. I did not expect much of, if any, improvement but was very surprised. Made a great sounding amp even better. They have a 30 day money back so it is worth the try.

Was the fuse upgraded from a standard generic $1 fuse?

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:09 pm »
Nick77, No it was not a generic. It replaced a Synergistic Quantum Fuse. I have also had Hifi-Tuning Supreme and Furutech.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:19 pm »
Sorry but I struggle to even think that anyone can "hear" a fuse.  I just don't get it.  Further, there has been so much talk about how they're not safe so I'd never put one in my amps. 

cab

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:28 pm »
 :thumb:

srb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:36 pm »
Sorry but I struggle to even think that anyone can "hear" a fuse.  I just don't get it.  Further, there has been so much talk about how they're not safe so I'd never put one in my amps.

I know it's just plain WRONG to secretly hope that some circuit boards get fried from improper fuse protection.  That prospect shouldn't make me smile.  What the hell is wrong with me?

Steve

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:37 pm »
Since this is about how happy with are Ncores I want to add one more tip.

Several months ago I had the chance to evaluate several power cords with several Audiophiles. This was in my system and one of the Audiophiles.
The cost ranged from around just above $400 to well over $1,000. Almost all are very well known and most have very favorable reviews.

One especially stood out. It was the only PC that the instruments sounded the most lifelike in tone. From top to bottom. It also had detail and dynamics but without being overblown. Sound stage, placement of performers, etc was all there like it should be.

Most of the others were too in your face. Instruments for the most part lacked their true tone. Sure there was detail but it was kind of sterile. But not the one that stood out.

It was also the second least expensive. That is right, money does not always buy the best sound. The one that came in second cost over twice the price.

The Cable that stood out and that the majority of the evaluating group picked was Paul Kaplan's new Waveform Fidelity Cable HE mk3.

I liked it so much I bought it for my Veritas. Please keep in mind to give it plenty of burn-in and settling time if you try them.

I highly recommend that Ncore owners give it a try. You just might like what you hear.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:42 pm »
And in all my tests, the ncores have turned out to be totally insensitive to power cords. They even seem to do OK with old door bell cord, without any negative effects. I guess the SMPS600 is pretty good at doing it's job.

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:47 pm »
Well, I personal have not had a problem and know of no one that has with any of the fuses I mentioned. Also how is using any generic fuse any safer?

Please feel free to not listen and miss the benefits.

Well Jason you should not hear the difference in USB cables. Or between sever software. Or jitter below... Well I think you get my point.

I do agree that most fuses will not sound any different. Hell I think most power cables sound the same.

But until you try it, the exact one not something else, ones opinion means nothing.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:48 pm »

The Cable that stood out and that the majority of the evaluating group picked was Paul Kaplan's new Waveform Fidelity Cable HE mk3.
I've yet to hear a difference with any of the NCore amps. Maybe Paul will send me a couple to try.  :lol:

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:53 pm »
Gee Julf I guess you tried the wrong power cords. I will say that out of eight power cords only three sounded different. And they were favored by the group. I have stated before that I think most power cords sound the same, but not all do, in MHO.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:57 pm »
Also how is using any generic fuse any safer?
Have you seen this thread?  When a safety item has no specs or nobody can get specs from the manufacturer, that's scary IMO.  Not here. 

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:59 pm »
Guys, please keep in mind that I already had after market power cables that are highly regarded that came with my Veritas. I did not NEED to spend any more money just for the hell of it on power cords. I got the Waveform PC through a dealer not directly from Paul. If I did not like them I could return them.
I liked them enough to spend EXTRA money. I did not NEED too.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2014, 08:02 pm »
Guys, please keep in mind that I already had after market power cables that are highly regarded that came with my Veritas. I did not NEED to spend any more money just for the hell of it on power cords. I got the Waveform PC through a dealer not directly from Paul. If I did not like them I could return them.
I liked them enough to spend EXTRA money. I did not NEED too.
Yes, I'm quite aware that the Triode Wire Labs Power Cords come with those amps.  What makes them sound better? 

Nick77

Power Cords and NCore Amps - What do you use?
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm »
Nick77, No it was not a generic. It replaced a Synergistic Quantum Fuse. I have also had Hifi-Tuning Supreme and Furutech.

Thanks for the update, i suspected it wasnt an upgrade from generic. Ill keep an eye out for the Red. Thanks....
Also a firm believer in PC's, thanks for update. Ive heard Triode's before, an upgrade from there would be memorable.   :thumb:

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: Power Cords and NCore Amps - What do you use?
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2014, 07:32 am »
Gee Julf I guess you tried the wrong power cords. I will say that out of eight power cords only three sounded different. And they were favored by the group. I have stated before that I think most power cords sound the same, but not all do, in MHO.

I guess I did. But my point was that the smps600/nc400 combo was unaffected by the cords (both subjectively and objectively). What properties do you think your 3 superior cables had that the others didn't, and how did they affect the PS and amp?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2014, 03:49 pm »
Yes, I'm quite aware that the Triode Wire Labs Power Cords come with those amps.  What makes them sound better?

They did not now. Those cords provided were not the best TWL offered at the time. Had to be designed for a price point. The Plus series better the one previously provided. TWL now offering a different design for class "D" amps.

charles

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2014, 04:00 pm »
They did not now. Those cords provided were not the best TWL offered at the time. Had to be designed for a price point. The Plus series better the one previously provided. TWL now offering a different design for class "D" amps.

charles
OK, then why were these not "tested" against the others that won?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2014, 04:10 pm »
OK, then why were these not "tested" against the others that won?

Can't really say. My guess ? Politics.

charles