How many Goth rock fans out there?
« on: 21 Jul 2012, 01:41 am »
My new genre of music.  Once you get Goth you get it.  A sample please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnS2G7SPJxU&feature=related

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: How many Goth rock fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:18 am »
That's Goth Metal, not Goth Rock, of which I'm an avid listener...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5v2bP1okBs ;)

gold

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:30 am »
Very cool! 

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:05 am »
 Even though they consider themselves to have created their own genre: "undercore", they are pretty much goth, and you should definitely check them out. The band is called Deadsy. The lead is Elijah Blue, he is the son of Cher and Greg Allman. They never got very big, they came out at the wrong time. But the music is excellent.

The first album is very unique sounding, very low and slow, and absolutely rocks the low tones with a lot of texture. It's quite a listen, it's one of those were you might think "what the hell is this?" but by the second full listen through I guarantee you'll be hooked. Elijah has one of the best voices of all time, a strong baritone, IMO, and is one hell of a songwriter. And to show off their musicianship, the last song is a farking AWESOME cover of Tom Sawyer by Rush. There is a song on there called "Key to Grammercy Park", and it's their big radio hit, but the rest of the album sounds nothing like that, extremely low, electronic textured, keyboard synth, one guy plays a Z-Tar in fact, but once you "get it", it rocks. It's a full spectrum of sound, but the main thrust of the music is that it just slams with high resolution low tuned instruments.

Shoot I wanna go play some right now just typing this. Been a few months.

The second album, Phantasmagore, is just as good, but is more mainstream oriented, so less of the avant guard, slow, dirgy stuff. Another excellent cover in here as well, Paint it Black is a Rolling Stones song. A lot of really good, straight up rock songs on this one, excellent music, and still has that signature sound, just faster and more radio friendly. Might want to start with this one.

Hugely underrated and unknown, IMO, and for at least five years they were my absolute favorite band. I love those albums, and I think to this day I'm the only person on the planet who knew who they were. Saw them once, great.

Extremely well recorded, Elijah is a perfectionist musician, and they are even HDCD's, not regular discs. He cut no corners. Too bad they didn't make it.

Still among my top five favorite bands, and I use their discs as reference music for testing gear.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2012, 08:52 am »
Goth metal doesn't do a damn thing for me. I like goth rock and protogoth bands like Bauhaus, Clan of Xymox, Joy Division and The March Violets.

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:38 am »
I'll have to check this whole sound out, I don't think I've ever heard any. Suggestions on a starter CD to try??

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2012, 10:52 am »
My new genre of music.  Once you get Goth you get it.  A sample please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnS2G7SPJxU&feature=related

Sounds more like Folk metal to me.  These guys are Goth metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dW6aNAZGTM

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm »
If Goth Rock would be Siouxie and the Banshees then the answer would be yes.
I saw them back in the 90s at The Pier in NYC. 
I came straight from work so had short hair, burgandy wingtips, a suit and tie and was wearing a London Fog raincoat.
The crowd tended to give me a wide berth...

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2012, 02:54 pm »
OK checked it out, enjoy! Not my bag I'm afraid.  Wink2

milford3

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:21 pm »
Rex, Cradle Of Filth - Nymphetamine is outstanding.  Music with feeling, passion, and gut wrenching vocals.  I moved on to this genre due to the unlistenable music on FM radio. I can't take no more of the Red Hot Chille Peppers.  And thanks AC members for the now added bands to listen to.  My sub-woofer is now warming up along with my EL34B's power tubes.  Enjoy the music.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2012, 04:15 pm »
OK checked it out, enjoy! Not my bag I'm afraid.  Wink2

... :lol: ...someone that I uuuuused to knoooow!!!  Rofl.

Berndt

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2012, 04:37 pm »
I don't want to get stuck on the genre description.
I do consider Type O Negative, and Ministry to be two different types of this family.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2012, 04:40 pm »
I stopped listening to my Type O cd's after hearing Peter Steele actually speak. Coo coo to say the least. It's a shame, the music's good.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:13 pm »
I don't want to get stuck on the genre description.
I do consider Type O Negative, and Ministry to be two different types of this family.

Hmmm... And I'd consider Ministry to be more Industrial Metal .

FireGuy

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:47 pm »
I too have migrated to the Goth/Prog genre.  Interesting Milford3 that  you generalized how current FM stations are just not delivering anything new from the "traditional" groups today because you are so right on.  Station programmers (et al) appear to be rather timid in their ability to maybe redesign and refocus the music.    We're not asking to change from Metal to country but rather introduce a different genre with bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica, Therion,  Edenbridge, Sirenia and the difficult to describe Opeth.  How about a little Doom metal from the most excellent Draconian and Black Sun Aeon?  Goth/Prog in general IMO is better written, produced and executed that what I can hear (locally) today.  Thank you (whatever) station first played "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple years ago.  We have not looked back.

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:03 pm »
The first AM station to play "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple was NYC WABC. (circa 1968.) That daring move by WABC exec's put rock music on the map.  Why not play Gothic music on FM stations?  BTW, I have Therion playing now.

FireGuy

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Therion's "Live Gothic" DVD is a rather excellent example of what we're talking about.  Adding classically trained 'opera' vocals to metal is gorgeous.  Great lyrics,  riffs and presentation make for   great music IMO. 

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:21 pm »
You talk about trained classical vocals with metal?  Check this out from the band Epica.  Just outstanding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77tLfkiVn8&feature=related

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:22 pm »
If you mean bands like Bauhaus, early Cure, Love and Rockets, Siouxie, etc. you can count me in as a fan.  The Love and Rockets Pandora station is one of my favorites. 

Goth Metal is a different story and I'm not a fan. I've tried but I can't listen to more than a few seconds of Goth Metal. 

milford3

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2012, 04:37 am »
This is why I like Gothic music.  It's burning in your gut music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BsZexTz0gAs&feature=endscreen