Audeze Does It Again **UPDATE** MEASUREMENTS FROM INNER FIDELITY

ajzepp

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2016, 03:30 am by ajzepp »

ajzepp

Re: Audeze Does It Again - Exciting New Headphone
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2016, 07:09 am »
Holy crap, I didn't even notice this at first...look at the cable it comes with...this is AMAZING!

Cipher Cable

A complete 24-bit high-resolution
integrated AMP/DSP/DAC with Lightning
connector. The built-in microphone can be
used for phone calls and it’s SIRI compatible.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2016, 04:11 pm »
Interesting.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2016, 07:56 pm »
I'd like to know exactly what they mean by:
"A complete 24-bit high-resolution integrated AMP/DSP/DAC with Lightning connector."
Are they suggesting the cable has an integrated amp capable of driving 20Ω headphones with 500 mw to 1 watt of power, as they say the headphone requires? Also, what's the DSP reference and, lastly, I wonder why they went lightning connector instead of the more standard micro-USB, unless they are targeting iPhone users only.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2016, 08:41 pm »
I'd like to know exactly what they mean by:
"A complete 24-bit high-resolution integrated AMP/DSP/DAC with Lightning connector."
Are they suggesting the cable has an integrated amp capable of driving 20Ω headphones with 500 mw to 1 watt of power, as they say the headphone requires? Also, what's the DSP reference and, lastly, I wonder why they went lightning connector instead of the more standard micro-USB, unless they are targeting iPhone users only.

I think they have an android option, as well. I'm still learning details, but I think I'll have an opportunity to hear a demo unit next week. I'll post pics/details as I get them.

EDIT: So it looks like the Cipher cable is a $50 option for the headphone...they are designed to be used as regular portables, but you can add the Cipher, as well, for direct connection to the iPhone...I'm going to try both.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2016, 11:59 pm by ajzepp »

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2016, 12:34 am »
Lots of interesting things happening in the planar arena these days.

C'mon Sennheiser, show you can do a planar set for less than the cost of a luxury sedan....

ajzepp

Re: Audeze Does It Again **UPDATE** CIPHER CABLE
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2016, 05:10 am »
Just received the Sine today...I think Dale might find this Cipher cable to his liking...take a look at the app:

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
Yep they come standard with a regular cable and then you can order the cipher version for an extra $50. The cipher cable is nowhere near as bulky as i expected. The segment that contains the amp/dac/dsp is slightly larger that if it was just the ios mic and buttons. No discernable difference in weight. The headphones are the most comfortable on-ears ive ever worn, which is a nice surprise.

So far Im really impressed

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm »
When Apple first released Lightning, they also released two of the outboard DACs, although they didn't use that term.  They provided analog output to a 30-pin socket.  I wonder if the DAC in the Cipher cable is better than the DAC in Apple's adapters.

So far I've only exclusively used the Cipher cable, and the sound is quite good...I'm going to swap to the other cable this weekend and listen both directly from the iPhone and then from my Oppo HA-2...that Oppo amp LOVES to be paired with planars, so I'm eager to see how it compares.

BTW, what is your take on DSP? This is literally the first product (the Cipher cable has it) that I've ever used with DSP...I know a lot of people on head-fi seem to love it, but I honestly am clueless about it. I need to do a bit of research so I can understand what impact it's having on the sound. I've noticed that whereas the Oppo PM-3 headphones (the headphones that most seem to compare to these SINEs), it's like the sound is projecting directly into both my ears...but with the SINE, it's more of a sense of space, similar to how a pair of speakers would sound and less like headphones. The only other time I've had this experience was with the crossfeed circuit on the Meier amps. Is that something DSP would do? Take the sound back just a bit and minimize that "shouty" quality that some headphones create?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2016, 03:57 am »
My JBL S700's have a DSP and its pretty amazing at first. I use it sometimes and other times not if I'm even using the JBL's.
Zepp are these new phones really sounding awesome for the price????

By the way HI GUYS!!!!!! :dance:

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2016, 01:09 pm »
Hey Ed!

Yep these are very nice...I rank them above the Oppo pm-3, which I also like quite a lot. Circumaural open backed headphones are my favorite, but in a closed portable I find the SINEs to be pretty great.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2016, 03:30 am »

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:25 am »
...but with the SINE, it's more of a sense of space, similar to how a pair of speakers would sound and less like headphones. The only other time I've had this experience was with the crossfeed circuit on the Meier amps. Is that something DSP would do? Take the sound back just a bit and minimize that "shouty" quality that some headphones create?

Most of my listening these days is done from my computer through headphones and I use crossfeed (a 'mild' form of DSP) almost all the time. Properly done, it reduces the "sound coming from a wire stretched between your ears" effect headphones have and makes the soundstage more like (notice I said 'more like', not 'exactly like') speakers. The Vox player I use the most (on my Mac) has the Meier crossfeed parameters available and that's what I use the most. Recordings and listeners obviously vary, so YMMV, but for me, it increases 'naturalness' and reduces listening fatigue.