Isolation/decoupler for laundry machine and dryer?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Isolation/decoupler for laundry machine and dryer?
« on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:32 pm »
Herb,

I know that's an unusual question, but do you have any ideas or products for this purpose? DIY is a definite possibility as well...thanks...

Anand.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Isolation/decoupler for laundry machine and dryer?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:56 pm »
Anything that would achieve a net reduction in floorborne vibration would probably be beneficial. Rubber pads, carpet remnants...

You wouldn't necessarily need audio-quality damping. The vibrational character of vibration coming from the washer will be determined by the structural materials it passes through on the way to your audio system where you'll surely want audio-quality isolation of your components and speakers.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2011, 07:03 pm by Herbie »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm »
  We use hockey pucks. No vibration no noise nada. Cheap and very affective.

charles

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm »
I use four 4" rubber/cork squares under my washer, a reasonably priced anitvibration device found here. :thumb:

Cheer's,
Robin

bummrush

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm »
Maybe someone can chime in what was the website put up on AC. That a very good selection of this stuff at excellent prices. Got it super sound proofing co. See if that works

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm »
Wow! Thanks for the links fellas, cheap and effective. I'm already using a mass loaded vinyl mat so that should help as well.

Anand.

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2011, 01:11 am »
I used a set of those Moving Men foam/hard plastic sliders that are used to move big heavy furniture easily. Can get them at Walgreens.

They reduce vibrations from the machines into the floor & when its time to move them to clean behind you are all set.

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:53 am »
A coincidence, I've been looking for these for my parent's washer as well. I found some at MSC Industrial for about $24/4 as well as Satfrat's atlantavibrationpads @ only $17/4. But I was looking at the 3x3" size since they are all rated at 50pound/sq in so  the 3" size would support up to 450lb.--their washer is 250lb. So Satfrat, do you have a monster washer?!
And how much isolation do they provide: a little, moderate, or mucho?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:20 pm »
  Four hockey pucks $4.00 done. The moving gliders as well are cheap and affective, use both.

charles

werd

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2011, 09:21 pm »
Its worth mentioning that if your washer or dryer are going in the basement the cheapest base models are as good as the higherend. The higher end models are built to be on main and higher floors due to vibration reduction. Thats what makes em more expensive. 

Just something i learned well shopping for washer dryer pairs.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm »
Its worth mentioning that if your washer or dryer are going in the basement the cheapest base models are as good as the higherend. The higher end models are built to be on main and higher floors due to vibration reduction. Thats what makes em more expensive. 

Just something i learned well shopping for washer dryer pairs.

I have 2 sets of washer/dryers. One set is behind the master bathroom in the walk in closet. The other is on the 2nd floor in a separate Laundry/Storage room for the kids. So noise is an issue. The rest of you can lug laundry up and downstairs but I decided not to and keep it near the areas where I am going to fold it up, iron, and hang it, anyway.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm »
I have my laundry room upstairs too.  I also know for a fact that I have the BEST isolation for the washer and dryer.   :o

What is it you ask? 

Simple.  I don't turn them on when I have the stereo on!   :D