Recommend best speaker decoupler for speakers on 'bouncy' floor.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Was so impressed by the Hal-O tube dampers I placed on the 12au7s in my pre, thought I'd try some Herbie's magic on my speakers.

I have Onyx Reference 3s @ 105lbs ea.  in a room with a sunken floor, it's springy.

It's gotten better by placing my Denon 51f tt on vibrapods, in a Cambre rack wich I swapped out stock feet for Adona Large Brass Gold Cones.

Think next I need to decouple the speakers, but still looking for the sweet spot, so they get moved a lot.

The room has Berber carpeting.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Hi. If your speakers are on spikes, use a Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider under each spike. If no spikes, use four Giant Fat Gliders under each speaker. (You'll probably get more improvement by replacing the Vibrapods under the Denon with Tenderfeet, too.)

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

etcarroll

Thanks Steve, I'll be placing an order for the Giant Fat Gliders soon.

I've noticed you recommend replacing the Vibrapods with Tenderfeet in other threads, may I ask why?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
You'll most likely get better ultra-low-level resolution, a more articulate and overall more linear sonic result with Tenderfeet. And you'll probably enjoy the music just a little more.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

R Browne

I've noticed you recommend replacing the Vibrapods with Tenderfeet in other threads, may I ask why?

You'll most likely get better ultra-low-level resolution, a more articulate and overall more linear sonic result with Tenderfeet. And you'll probably enjoy the music just a little more.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Years ago I replaced Vibrapods under a CD player with Tenderfeet and never looked back. Noticeably better for all the reasons Steve states above.

etcarroll

Thanks for the response Steve.

But one more question, how does the Tenderfeet product compare and contrast to your  grungebuster IsoBall Ball? It seems the IsoBall is marketed towards my issue, killing the effect of footfalls before they impact tt performance.

Gene

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Sonic differences between Tenderfeet and IsoBalls will vary somewhat from one turntable and system to another, so there's no one-size-fits-all answer. In general they compare favorably more than they contrast. IsoBalls w/base are designed specifically to address extreme footfall issues with turntables, yet are excellent feet even outside of footfall issues.

Tenderfeet do very well with most footfall from mild to moderately severe. For more severe footfall from a "trampoline" floor, IsoBalls w/base have more potential to keep the stylus from tracking wildly or jumping out of the record groove.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 01:26 am by Herbie »

pulsetsar

I have Onyx Reference 3s @ 105lbs ea.  in a room with a sunken floor, it's springy.

I have the same problem on a hardwood floor. I currently have my PSB Image T6 speakers up on spikes with some unbranded gliders I got used at a local audio store since without the spikes and on the stock feet the bass is smeared with the life sucked out of it. I'm thinking of trying out your gliders because I've heard my speaker/amp combination in other rooms and am still not happy with the bass performance in my current living room. My speakers only weigh about 50 pounds each. Would you recommend the standard gliders or do I need the giant ones?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Sorry about the belated reply. Standard Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders should more than suffice.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab