Pink Floyd Surround Demo

mgalusha

Pink Floyd Surround Demo
« on: 28 Sep 2011, 02:31 pm »
I'm sure many of you know about this but if not, this is a likely a must hear. Analog Productions and Acoustic Sounds are doing a preview of Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 5.1 surround demo at the Hyatt next to the Marriott. They are bringing in the same ATC speakers and gear that is was mastered on along with James Guthrie who mixed this, so this is a rare opportunity to hear exactly what the engineers did.

There will be shuttle service between the hotels for those needing this or if the weather is lousy (let's hope not).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Pink Floyd Surround Demo
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:19 pm »
Can't wait!!

Quick James Guthrie story:  I was contemplating buying ATC speakers (some great used SCM150ASl's on A-gon several years ago) so I called the UK corp HQ and, lo and behold got Billy Woodman (founder, CEO) on the phone.  We spoke for several minutes about my issues (mostly technical about setting up active speakers with my cabling, etc) and when the discussion turned to his great customer list I mentioned that I had spoken to local engineer hero Michael Bishop (multi-Grammy-winning ex-Telarc surround god) about Telarc's use, and that Michael offered a personal tour for me!!  :)  Well, Billy immediately started laughing and said this was my lucky day cuz he just noticed that  James Guthrie was walking the halls there (I mentioned Guthrie a few times in our talk).  He caught him and had him kinda shout into the phone from a few feet away "hello Ted, buy the damn speakers". 

It was so cool!  Anyway, I did buy the damn speakers, and loved them for awhile..but the 150's are ginormous and even in my room overpowered it.  I'd have easily had a 5.1 of ATC SCM100ASL's or 50ASl's if the price were right, but the 150's were too good to turn down at the time.   Oh, and the sale of them to a music lover in Wash DC area was helped tremendously by my Michael Bishop tour and connection.  He mentioned they were doing a remote recording in the DC area and offered to bring them along, and to use some of his ATC travel cases to protect them.  He and a fellow Telarc guy came over to the house, heard my system, gave it his full approval (with one caveat that I trap the front sloping ceiling slightly, which I did...and have subsequently done significant work with) and left with the speakers.   All in all, the whole thing was so accidental yet so cool!!

Anyway.....my only Guthrie story.   I'm so looking forward to this demo.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2011, 07:22 pm »
WOW!

Be looking forward to this.

I figured the hi rez/surround of DSotM would be prevelant at RMAF, but a "preview" of WYWH??!!!!

:thumb:

(of course, it will just make me realize the shortcomings of my setup when I play it at my house a few weeks later  :cry:)

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2011, 07:35 pm »
Great story Ted!  Hope I'm there and get to hear the demo.  I have the disc on preorder and am looking forward to comparing it to DSOTM.

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2011, 03:38 am »
I will definitely attend this demo!  My first trip to RMAF.  I just purchased a pair of ATC active 50's.  They are still breaking in.  I won't wax on poetically about their sound.  Professional reviewers have written many great reviews over the years and those reviews can easily be found on the internet.  Let's just say I agree with the reviews.   :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2011, 03:54 am »
Typo in the poster....for Saturday and Sunday...11AM...not 11PM.

Looking forward to hearing this... 8)