"In Concert: KSHE & 40+ Years of Rock in St. Louis"

DeadFish

I just got an early Christmas gift, and it is a book with the title of this post.
John Neiman, the author, was signing copies at the independent pharmacy I go to.  The fella who owns the place, Lennie, and I were both at the Nov 3, 1968 concert of Jimi Hendrix at Kiel, him on stage is the cover of the book.  It was an Act of God, I HAD to have it! :D
If you was reared on KSHE, you gotta check this out.  Lots of pictures and articles and concerts.... bringing a billion braincells back to life when you remember you WERE someplace like the 4th Kite Flying Contest where KISS played for free, in front of its biggest audience (to date) using a Honda generator to power the gear!  Lots of details you only heard rumors about like stuff passed in and out the window to the deejays, whether it was a sandwich, a doobie or the favors of a lady.  (can I say that?)
This is gonna take me a while to wade through, but it has been fun so far.  Thoroughly recommended to some of you old farts listening from the beginnings. (You KNOW who you are!)  8)
Goddamn, we're STILL cool! (if dated).
You might check out the website, but the print is kinda small.  John also has a Facebook page if you play on there. 
I've gotten some smiles and YOU are the folks I thought might trip on it too.

Best Regards,
Bill

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: "In Concert: KSHE & 40+ Years of Rock in St. Louis"
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:25 pm »
It sounds like a VERY cool book Bill.
But I'm just a young fella, and everything you speak of is foreign to me.   :wink:

Bob

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 02:19 am »
The last time I had a KSHE t-shirt on was about 77 and I loved going to concerts at Kiel. Enjoy your book Bill.

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:17 am »
Bob, you ain't foolin' nobody.  :lol:  You say what you gotta say though.... :wink:

Pete! I can just imagine me squeezing into a '77 KSHE shirt NOW!  Glad it sparked a memory for you though. Yah, many is the night at Kiel.    Good concerts, some ...not so good, birthday parties and even sleeping through Jethro Tull when the pharmaceuticals got too strong.  :duh: 
Well, I was younger then and even MORE capable of dumb crap.  At least I lived through it. (so far..)

I actually gave up on radio by 1980, retiring to tapes of The Dead and whatever else I liked rather than listen to waterbed commercials, or just plain COMMERCIAL stuff in general.  (I was such a 'rag'!)
But never lost track of my roots and where the concert scene went.
It all sure made a great soundtrack for a lifetime!

Best Regards,
Bill

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:20 am »
I thought I could at least fool a few people.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still a neat book though.
You ever heard of Wolfgangs Vault? Sounds a bit like the history of that.

Bob

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:49 am »
Yah, they have fleshed out Wolfgang's Vault really well!  I like that place!

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:08 pm »
Hiya Bill,

Here's another one that will resuscitate a few more brain cells  :D
Produced by Contemporary

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:48 pm »
Hi Scott!

Thanks for pointing that book out!  I never knew about that one, but between the two, they ought to cover most of the St. Louis stuff I managed to see. 
Just a chance to remember things another time or three before 'the great darkness' makes it irrelevant.  :wink:
It has been awhile.  Hope all is well out your westerly way!

Best Regards,
Bill

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:11 am »
Hiya Bill,

Yep, all is well out West. I keep meaning to stop in the shop. I could use a couple good blades  :thumb: Hope all is well on the East side.

electricbear

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:37 am »
You all owe it to yourselves to go visit Bill and pick up a few blades. Great selection, great prices and Bill too.

DeadFish

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
Thanks for the ads guys!  Shop still running, but without me for a while.  Had to retire, hopefully temporarily, while life tries to deal me some dirt and I get better.  The lines grow, and some of that stuff is just art! 
You guys take care, and don't cut yourself on something OLD! hehehehe

Best regards,
Bill

Lyndon

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2011, 03:49 am »
Scott F.
Thanks so much for the link.  Bought that almost new copy from Amazon and having it shipped to my mother's house in Illinois for the holidays.  My friend, who you met, Bob, will love it for Christmas.  I think you and another one of the GAS guys has lured him to the darkside.  He has moved his bad ass solid state Xindac and Legacy Classic speakers to the shadows, and has his Jolida 102B and The Horn (Hornshoppe), bought from another GAS member with his Jolida cd player.  Says it is the soundstage that draws him into the women's vocals. :lol: