Thinking about trying a BDP-1

rguising

Thinking about trying a BDP-1
« on: 19 Jul 2023, 11:48 am »
Would like to know the current OS available, would it connect to Amazon Music?  We do have 1000+ cd's to RIP as well.

Thank you!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Thinking about trying a BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2023, 02:51 pm »
Not sure on Amazon - as Apple and Amazon do not release there IP's to third parties.

james

rguising

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2023, 02:53 pm »
Thank you James - appreciate the customer service for sure!

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2023, 06:06 pm »
DON'T.

I had to put my BDP-1 away in the drawer last year for my mental health. What used to be such a stable and fast machine would now get stuck and freeze every day, sometimes within hours. The past few firmware updates basically made the BDP-1 beyond sluggish and unresponsive. I didn't use any streaming services with the BDP-1 or had the database enabled. Just basic folder view with local media in Manic Moose. Even then at its most basic use, it couldn't keep up now. I rebuilt the library from scratch a few times just to make sure. It had nothing to do with the size of the library either which didn't change over time. The newer firmware basically crippled the BDP-1. If only there was a way back to revert back to a more stable version on the BDP-1, I'd gladly bring it back out and use it.

That whole experience threw me off so much that I didn't even want to deal with the BDP-1 or my own local library. Haven't touched either and just stuck to streaming since with Spotify and Amazon Music (lossless).

rguising

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2023, 06:30 pm »
Thank you Zoom!

jobiwon

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2023, 06:41 pm »
I have a BDP-Pi.  It works well for streaming Qobuz , RadioParadise and playing local files of a small attached storage via USB.  You can pick those up for about the same price as a 1.  The Pi also works well as a ROON endpoint if you ever decide to invest in that platform.

vonnie123

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2023, 04:07 pm »
I second zoom on not proceeding with the BDP-1. Sold both of mine.   It’s day has passed.  The BDP-2 with Bryston IAD works well.

hawkeye99

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:11 pm »
I'm still using the BDP-1. I have 30,000 songs on an attached hard drive. I have the latest firmware. No problems at the moment.

GSDaudio

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2023, 04:50 pm »
I'm still using the BDP-1. I have 30,000 songs on an attached hard drive. I have the latest firmware. No problems at the moment.

Hawkeye,   I had a BDP-1 but upgraded to the BDP-3 because I could not load more than a few hundred songs without it crashing.   I had about 5,000 songs on the hard drive but the Bryston DB couldn't complete "building" past 85%.   So, how did you make it work with 30,000 songs?

Thanks!

hawkeye99

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2023, 05:31 pm »
I've actually have 2 bdp-1's. I use them daily. They both have have 30,000 songs on an attached HD. I'm not sure what I've done to make it work. 5000 songs should not be an issue. Here is a quote from unincognito.

"There is no limitation relative to drive size, the limitation is relative to the number of tracks.  The BDP-1 with the bryston dB disabled is about 100,000 tracks, but becomes more difficult and it’s reaction time slows at around 50,000 tracks (I think, it’s been awhile since I’ve been asked this question and my BDP-1 is connected to a library of 7,000 songs + TIDAL and QOBUZ).  Hope this helps."

Chris

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2023, 08:02 pm »
My library was around 40,000 tracks. Back then when I was doing FLAC and WAV testing, I would have 2 identical libraries and the total could double to 80k and I'd build and rebuild multiple times. There would never be a problem.

Nowadays, forget 40,000. I tried to build a new library with just 500 tracks on a small drive just to test things out and even that froze. Manic Moose web access becomes slow and unresponsive, you can't go between pages/menus in Manic Moose. Front panel of BDP-1 locks up and becomes unresponsive.

I understand that Roon, squeezelite and all those other things came later and weren't a part of original functionality. However, the BDP-1 WAS designed to play music from local drives from the start with basic folder view. That was always supposed to be there. The intention was for customers to have a device to play own music without needing a secondary computer for playback. THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A BDP-1 IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now it can't do the VERY THING IT WAS MADE FOR. LOCAL PLAYBACK!!!! I finally had to go back to computer for playback of music.

I don't know if Bryston is aware that this happens with their BDP-1s now due to their recent firmwares, or whether they ARE AWARE but simply don't care about it and choose to leave it like this. Or maybe its done on purpose to make people upgrade to the BDP-2/3

If somebody somehow still has older firmware and know how to downgrade the BDP-1, please let me know about it. Its just dead weight at the moment.

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2023, 08:18 am »
My library was around 40,000 tracks. Back then when I was doing FLAC and WAV testing, I would have 2 identical libraries and the total could double to 80k and I'd build and rebuild multiple times. There would never be a problem.

Nowadays, forget 40,000. I tried to build a new library with just 500 tracks on a small drive just to test things out and even that froze. Manic Moose web access becomes slow and unresponsive, you can't go between pages/menus in Manic Moose. Front panel of BDP-1 locks up and becomes unresponsive.

I understand that Roon, squeezelite and all those other things came later and weren't a part of original functionality. However, the BDP-1 WAS designed to play music from local drives from the start with basic folder view. That was always supposed to be there. The intention was for customers to have a device to play own music without needing a secondary computer for playback. THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A BDP-1 IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now it can't do the VERY THING IT WAS MADE FOR. LOCAL PLAYBACK!!!! I finally had to go back to computer for playback of music.

I don't know if Bryston is aware that this happens with their BDP-1s now due to their recent firmwares, or whether they ARE AWARE but simply don't care about it and choose to leave it like this. Or maybe its done on purpose to make people upgrade to the BDP-2/3

If somebody somehow still has older firmware and know how to downgrade the BDP-1, please let me know about it. Its just dead weight at the moment.

Hi!

Seems like Bryston should have allowed upgrades to the BDP-1 firmware only to a certain point. It is clear that the machine becomes unusable with more recent firmware revisions.

I think the best thing to do now would be to ask Bryston to send you the card with whichever software that is stable already preinstalled. That way you could remove your existing card and replace it with the one they send you. I think it's been done before as I seem to recall one particular user whose card got damaged and didn't work. Bryston sent him a new one with software already installed and it worked afterwards.

That being said, the only reason I upgraded to a BDP-2 was because BDP-1 didn't work for me. It was one of the very last production units of BDP-1 and still it was buggy and laggy. I am not a power user by any means but the fact it just wouldn't work with some USB flash drives and the fact it would cause intermittent breaks in playback were simply too unnerving. The stuff isn't cheap at all so the user has every right to demand for it to work.

Hope this helps!
Cheers - Antun

GrooveControl

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2023, 06:02 pm »
Welcome to the world of computers.  Unlike speakers, amps, tuners, turntables or CD players,  your music streamer will not work in 20 years from now.  That's guaranteed. 
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2023, 11:45 pm by GrooveControl »

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2023, 08:58 pm »
Welcome to the world of computers.  Unlike a speakers, amps, tuners, turntables or CD players,  your music streamer will not work in 20 years from now.  That's guaranteed.

Yeah, I fully expect that with things like Smart TV or Apple TV streaming stuff, where services get removed over time that you had at one time and you stop getting new versions or new apps.

But I didn't expect Bryston to do this with their own product for which they control both the software and hardware.

I still have a Late 2009 iMac that's older than the BDP-1 and while it doesn't get a lot of new things, it's still perfect at doing the things it did. Plus, with a normal computer that isn't tied down to a custom OS like BDPs or Nuclesu (Roon), you can always find alternatives even if something goes down, so you can always keep the machine working and useful.

This experience has also put me off from other streamers in general that have custom OS. You get tied down to their software. If they mess things up, you don't get to have a 3rd party option to get functionality from your device.

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2023, 09:14 pm »
Hi!

Seems like Bryston should have allowed upgrades to the BDP-1 firmware only to a certain point. It is clear that the machine becomes unusable with more recent firmware revisions. [AGREED]

I think the best thing to do now would be to ask Bryston to send you the card with whichever software that is stable already preinstalled. That way you could remove your existing card and replace it with the one they send you. I think it's been done before as I seem to recall one particular user whose card got damaged and didn't work. Bryston sent him a new one with software already installed and it worked afterwards.

That being said, the only reason I upgraded to a BDP-2 was because BDP-1 didn't work for me. It was one of the very last production units of BDP-1 and still it was buggy and laggy. I am not a power user by any means but the fact it just wouldn't work with some USB flash drives and the fact it would cause intermittent breaks in playback were simply too unnerving. The stuff isn't cheap at all so the user has every right to demand for it to work. [Yeah, it was definitely not cheap at the time I bought it. I have a several thousand dollar box just collecting dust now]

Hope this helps!
Cheers - Antun

I know Bryston employees, including Chris and James, read this forum. I've pointed this issue out a few times with BDP-1 and recent firmwares as well as have other customers. There is no way they haven't seen it. They just choose to ignore it or have decided it's not a priority to engage. I mean James without missing a beat will post his weekly reviews of how well the Bryston gear is doing in some magazine or whatever.

I think Bryston used to be more involved in this forum, not so much these past few years. We frequently see people saying they get no phone calls back or emails not responded. To be fair, I haven't emailed Bryston yet, so I won't say that that has been my experience.

At one point I was convinced to buy a BDP-3 and a BDA-3 to match it with possibly one of their preamps. Bryston as a whole has kind of soured on me now. Years ago when I bought my isolation transformer, I nearly bought the Bryston BIT as I wanted to match the faceplate with other Bryston gear, but glad I ended up going with Torus. Those guys were always very responsive.

Maybe, I'll fire up my BDP-1 this week and see if there is another update that somehow has fixed this...it can't be any worse than it is right now. If not, maybe I'll think about CF cards and such. ughhh

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2023, 09:19 pm »
Zoom - I would send it into us to have a look - seems like nothing but issues at this point.

james