Speakers worthy of a Virtue One.2

Robb_G

Re: Speakers worthy of a Virtue One.2
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:56 pm »
Alright, there are just too many good options!

While I know that what someone likes in speakers is always subjective, I am trying to pick some new bookshelf speakers without the luxury of listening to them.  Here are my requirements:

- To be paired (eventually) with a Virtue One.2 with a Squeezebox Duet Receiver as the source
- To be used in 10 x 12 foot dining room, which opens to a 10 x 12 foot living room; I am not expecting to fill the living room with sound
- Will not be used for critical listening, but still want good sound
- No plans (or room) to add a sub-woofer
- Must come in black to match dining room cabinets
- Quality of finish is not that important as the speakers will not be in a position where they can be closely inspected
- Do not want to exceed the price range of the options below

Here is the list I am considering:

- Ascend CBM-170 SE - $368 delivered
- Usher S-520 - $400 delivered
- Axiom M3 v2 - $330 delivered
- Monitor Audio RX1 - approximately $540 delivered

In my main listening area, I run SB Duet Receiver > Beresford DAC w/Opamp upgrade > Virtue Sensation M901 > Monitor Audio RS6

My local Monitor Audio dealer has recommended the RX1, which is why it is on the list despite being a little higher in price.  (I do enjoy the floor-standing RS6's immensely, especially since changing to the Sensation M901 from a Cambridge Audio 740A.)

Anyway, based on online reviews, they all seem like good options.  Does anyone think I should definitely avoid any of these?

Based on Seth's recommendation, I am somewhat leaning toward the Ascend CBM-170 SE.  Is there any convincing reason not to go this route given my other options?

al128

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:49 pm »
just to make your life even harder ...

if you dont do any critical listening, why not settle with something like Paradigm MiniMonitors ...

I had those (v2.0 iirc) and they were very inexpensive yet they had better sound than you`ll prob. need

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:01 pm »
AudioEngine A5 might be worth lookiing at as well.

bummrush

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:09 pm »
          Legacy

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:14 pm »
Energy-CB-20
http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cb-20-overview/

I will own these one day!!! I have CC-5 center..love it...FWIW another item to confuse ya!! :thumb:

PSB Guy

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:56 pm »
Based on Seth's recommendation, I am somewhat leaning toward the Ascend CBM-170 SE.  Is there any convincing reason not to go this route given my other options?
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, and the price is right on all of them. I won't bother recommending any other speakers since you have a list already, but you might want to reconsider a subwoofer, if you can swing it. The speakers I'm using (PSB Image B5) are very similar in both price and specs to all those speakers on your list, and the small sub I'm using (Elemental Designs A3S-250) is only 14 inches square and really fleshes out the bottom end that my M901 produces. My office/music room is only about 10'x10'x8'.