12BY7A Tube

abernardi

12BY7A Tube
« on: 1 Nov 2011, 06:26 am »
OK,  so a while back I picked up one of these at a little antique/junk shop in Oregon for a couple of bucks.  It's in an old REALISTIC box, but the tube is marked DUMONT in red lettering.  I googled it and only found some Dumonts in green lettering.  It seems this was designed for color TV's, but has been used in audio gear notably the HK Citation II. 

I'm just starting to read up on tubes, so I don't really understand yet, but is it ok to put ANY 12v tube in the Sensation?  Has anyone tried this tube?

I read the following from one source I found, would this be a problem?:

The only draw-backs to the 12BY7A are that it likes to pull a lot more milliamps than the usual small signal voltage amp types typically used in audio equipment (for current hungry colour TV CRT cathodes) so they will require a stiffer active tail load made from power transistors. (Even though considered small signal, the 12BY7A runs more like a power type). This, in turn, makes for a high voltage requirement.

abernardi

Re: 12BY7A Tube
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:50 am »
bump - I'm still trying to find out if using this tube will hurt anything?

musicophile

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2012, 07:59 pm »

Yeah, I think it might.  There are a lot of different types that are okay, but I believe this one is different from all of them.  Stick to the 12A*7* family and equivalents (e.g. 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, 5751, ECC83, CV4004), and you'll be fine.  Here's a link to a list of those definitely verified by Gary as compatible with the Dodd buffer, posted in a thread on the ICEBlock:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79449.msg757037#msg757037

From my own experience I can add the CV4024; no surprise, since this is just a British military name for the 12AT7. 

Happy rolling!   :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2012, 09:08 pm »
12BY7A is a pentode tube. The 12A*7 tubes are dual triodes.

It would not be a good ideas to use a pentode in place of a dual triode. You could very easily let out some magic smoke and void your warranty.

abernardi

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2012, 06:26 am »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Thanks guys.  I didn't see that list before, great!