Thorens stabilizer vs titanium

San Marcos

• Music soothes the soul...
Thorens stabilizer vs titanium
« on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm »
Hi, Herbie. I replaced my old Thorens TD-160 MK II suspension springs with your Big Tall Tenderfeet. Nice! I really like it. I'm also using a Way Excellent Mat and Thorens Stabilizer with excellent results. Just wondering, would your Titanium Record Stabilizer be better than the Thorens? If so, why?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Thorens stabilizer vs titanium
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm »
Hi, San Marcos. If you are getting excellent results with your Thorens weight, I would suggest maybe not worry about it, just enjoy the music. You can go crazy always wondering if something else might work just a little better.

The Thorens weight is well-engineered to reduce record warpage and to help the record lie flat for superior tracking. In this regard alone, the Thorens weight, being slightly heavier than the Titanium Stabilizer, will do at least as well. At 1.2 pounds, it might be a little heavy for some suspended tables, though.

The design emphasis of Herbie's Titanium Record Stabilizer is the micro-vibrational interface between weight and record. In this regard, titanium versus chrome, titanium wins every time. Chrome imbues a slight glare into the audio palette, minor yet distinct. Titanium is extremely linear sonically and has a unique ability to subdue ultra-high-frequency micro-vibrations that cause some of the edginess in record playback.

When used together with Herbie's Way Excellent II mat, the Stabilizer helps the mat to more efficiently decouple and isolate the record. The Stabilizer also helps keep the record flat, but primarily affects a stabilizing action to the record. Reducing micro-vibration of the vinyl surface allows greater stylus tracking accuracy and a more faithful rendering of the recorded groove.

I would make a confident guess to say that the Titanium Record Stabilizer would give a better overall sonic and musical result with your TD-160, simply because of the integrity of the materials involved. As every system is different in many ways, I wouldn't venture to guess how significant a difference there would be.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie’s Audio Lab

oscaremmy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:21 am »
Hi, Herbie. I replaced my old Thorens TD-160 MK II suspension springs with your Big Tall Tenderfeet. Nice! I really like it. I'm also using a Way Excellent Mat and Thorens Stabilizer with excellent results. Just wondering, would your Titanium Record Stabilizer be better than the Thorens? If so, why?

San Marcos, I have the same turntable - how is it possible to replace the Thorens springs with the Big Tall Tenderfeet? Do you drill the Tenderfeet and use the bolt mounting still, or do you simply balance the sub-platter assembly on the Tenderfeet? Is there a link to the process you used?

San Marcos

• Music soothes the soul...
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm »
San Marcos, I have the same turntable - how is it possible to replace the Thorens springs with the Big Tall Tenderfeet? Do you drill the Tenderfeet and use the bolt mounting still, or do you simply balance the sub-platter assembly on the Tenderfeet? Is there a link to the process you used?

You just use the Tall Tenderfeet instead of springs, no hole or anything. Too simple to be called a "process" really. Just place the sub-platter on the Tenderfeet. I'd seen several posts about using Herbie's footers to replace suspension springs over the years, like this one at AudioKarma: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=343619&highlight=SAMA